*How Much Does What You Do, Or Believe: Effect Who You Are?

chesswarsnow

"SASQUATCH IS WATCHING"
Dec 9, 2007
Fort Worth, Texas
Sorry bout that,

1. A question for the ages.
2. Is what you do make who you end up being?
3. Does what you believe in religion effect who you are?
4. Is it possible to be something better than what your doing/believing, even when it is trying to make you become something different than you wanted it too?
5. Am I likely to be a better person in certain fields of work, or a worse person in other fields?
6. If I am a pig farmer, what does that make me as a person?
7. If I perform abortions, what does that make me?
8. If I provide the lethal injections to criminals what does that make me?
9. If I clean up dead animals from the road ways, what does that make me?
10. If I am a banker who's job it is to foreclose on people, what does that make me?

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

Last edited:
2. You do what you do because of who you are.
3. No, but it greatly affects who I am.
4. I absolutely hope so.
5. Most of the time, no. But if the choices are murderous dictator versus hospice nurse, then yes.
6. Not kosher.
7. A doctor, ideally.
8. A doctor, ideally.
9. Likely someone with good forearms.
10. A banker.

That is one messed up opening post.

In short you pretty much are what you do, and that is not always the same as what you believe.

This gets really complicated very fast. Does your existence in itself exist? Sadly we are limited by language ,the very thing that allows us to think, as to how deeply we can think and because of this none of this can be answered.

This gets really complicated very fast. Does your existence in itself exist? Sadly we are limited by language ,the very thing that allows us to think, as to how deeply we can think and because of this none of this can be answered.

If a tree falls in .... wait ... If a guy says something while alone in the forest, and no women are around, is he still wrong?

Sorry bout that,

4. Is it possible to be something better than what your doing/believing, even when it is trying to make you become something different than you wanted it too?
5. Am I likely to be a better person in certain fields of work, or a worse person in other fields?
10. If I am a banker who's job it is to foreclose on people, what does that make me?

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

Do you have a 12-step plan?

Sorry bout that,

1. Sure this is the question most can't even fathom, even after reading it.
2. Its way over their heads.
3. Do all choices in life come with certain proven ramifications?
4. If I were a embalmer, would I be presupposed to having no pity to death, or the dieing?
5. Embalming would be my gig, and the more I embalm the better my pay, so after awhile I would be numb to death, and suffering, wouldn't that make me into something I may have not planned on?
6. This is in-fact a very deep subject, and not for the weak minded.
7. Take caution folks.

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

Sorry bout that,

Sorry bout that,

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

Do you have a 12-step plan?

1. Run along, this could be painful for you.
2. Don't blow a fuse.
3. You might hurt yourself.

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

Is the divorce rate disproportionately high among police officers because of the stresses of the job, or because authoritarian assholes are often attracted to the job of being a police officer, and such people are not good candidates for a lasting marriage?

Last edited:
Sorry bout that,

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas
1. It's been asked before, but OK.
2. Depends what the doing is.
3. It's a big factor.
4. There is nothing that would make me different than I wanted it too. That's for fuckin' whimps.
5. Can't answer that. I'm not you.
6. A provider for the masses and your family.
7. A cold person in most situations.
8. A person carrying out a lawful order, as ordered by a judge.
9. A person who picks up dead animals on a road way.
10. A person who is doing their job.

Sorry bout that,

Is the divorce rate disproportionately high among police officers because of the stresses of the job, or because authoritarian assholes are often attracted to the job of being a police officer, and such people are not good candidates for a lasting marriage?

1. Good point, cops don't seem to make it in marriages, thats true, perhaps they lose respect for their fellow man, from job situations, and as well as the women folks, seeing they too can be a problem for cops to deal with, *all day long*, so when a cop gets home, that can stick in their minds, and they can end up releasing a little hostility on their wives, which in todays world, and especially in America, a wife won't listen to that very long, she will kick his arse to the curb, *real fast*.
2. Cops want *to serve*, they go into it with noble intentions, most often, but what can happen is they end up wanting *to rule*, which ever one takes over their hearts, *to serve*, would be best, but *to rule* usually takes over, *over time*.
3. This is a by product of the job, and you George were wise to point it out.
4. Many forms of gameful employment have implications of detrimental fallout, which can effect who you are and wanted to be, and you have no control of whom you will become, as if you are cattle being run through the stalls of life.
5. The strange effects of what can happen to a movie star is alarming as well George, look what is going on right now with your fellow actor, Charlie Sheen, he has every advantage in life, makes tons of money, is well known throughout this Nation, and yet, he is ate up with a huge ego, which is literally eating himself up from within, he didn't sign up for that, its just taken over his life, like some sort of sickness, and he wasn't always like this either.
6. Being *larger than life* as they say, can be dangerous to who you are, and whom you become, or are becoming, its a fine line, on how to avoid the pitfalls *of fame*, those without a good moral compass who become, *larger than life* can easily find the pitfalls, with such ease and finality, they make it look like an *art form* the level of destruction they can endure, for all to see, oblivious to it, as if everyone is doing it.
7. Where is *Martin Sheen*?
8. Perhaps his father has the best chances to reach Charlie, in this sort of public destruction, a shameful witnessing of the end to this guys life isn't pretty, and its not what he signed up for either I'm sure, but the question is, *How does he get himself out of this cattle run?*
9. If you know Charlie, you would do well to have a little talk with him.

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

Last edited:
If I'm a girl and I tell a guy that I will give him a kiss for $1.00, and after the kiss, I decide instead of collecting a $1.00 from the guy to give him a $1.00, what does that make me?

Chesswars, you OP is fine. What you do defines what you are. What you think defines who you are. It may come from your religion, but I think it really comes from your heart.

Sorry bout that,

Sorry bout that,

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas
1. It's been asked before, but OK. *If so who?*
2. Depends what the doing is. *So what you do, does make you whom you become to a degree?, your saying?*
3. It's a big factor. *So some religions may lead you to a better ending then?*
4. There is nothing that would make me different than I wanted it too. That's for fuckin' whimps. *This isn't just about you, its about us, and the humankind in general, so who you are has no reflection on what you do, *at all*? and what is it that you do???*
5. Can't answer that. I'm not you. *Again, this isn't about you or me, its about the human condition, and how what we do can and does effect our being.*
6. A provider for the masses and your family. *You again missed the point.*
7. A cold person in most situations. *Could be you understood the point here*, *nice*.
8. A person carrying out a lawful order, as ordered by a judge. *What if its proven through DNA after the death of a person, said person was indeed innocent, who you were the one that injected said dead person? Could that have an effect on you then?*
9. A person who picks up dead animals on a road way. *Missed the point again.*
10. A person who is doing their job.
10.*Again.*, this may be over your head.*

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

Last edited:
James,

Personally I believe it's a matter of how one puts their beliefs into action that defines who and what a person is...

For example... At one time I seriously considered a career in Law Enforcement. I decided not be because my belief in Justice over Legality would have made me a very poor police officer. I would have been likely to shoot a repeat, violent offender and plant a gun on the body if I felt it was likely the court system would have turned them back out on the street.

On the other hand, I almost got myself fired a couple years ago because I refused to work on a construction plan for a Planned Parenthood facility in Worcester, MA for moral reasons.

It's about how one puts one's beliefs into action in your every day life, your work, and your life in general that makes one a good or bad person.

At least those are my thoughts on the issue.

Sorry bout that,

Chesswars, you OP is fine. What you do defines what you are. What you think defines who you are. It may come from your religion, but I think it really comes from your heart.

1. So your saying its from the heart, not your mind, so you think its your heart that leads you to the choice of what sort of job you will take, and maybe perhaps you already know where that job will lead you, so you go with that path in order to fulfill who you already are?
2. And humankind in general, never make that mistake of taking on the wrong sort of job, we are just following our hearts to its final conclusions?
3. I do not agree with that sort or reasoning, I think life is more complex that that, and I think no one decides to be a whore or murderer, but some how they end up there anyway.:confused:
4. How do you think a person becomes a whore or a murderer?
5. Great question!

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

Sorry bout that,

1. So your saying its from the heart, not your mind, so you think its your heart that leads you to the choice of what sort of job you will take, and maybe perhaps you already know where that job will lead you, so you go with that path in order to fulfill who you already are?
2. And humankind in general, never make that mistake of taking on the wrong sort of job, we are just following our hearts to its final conclusions?
3. I do not agree with that sort or reasoning, I think life is more complex that that, and I think no one decides to be a whore or murderer, but some how they end up there anyway.:confused:
4. How do you think a person becomes a whore or a murderer?
5. Great question!

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

Generally speaking, I would say greed, low self esteem on the part of the prostitute, and sickness on the part of the murderer. Just off the top of my head.

People choose the careers where they think they can be successful and enjoy...heart.

I chose a job with little financial gain although school records indicated a high IQ (Then, lol!) and a family of successful people. I just didn't have the personality for "dog eat dog" careers! I had a love for children and followed my heart.

Forum List

Back