How much do you plan to spend on Christmas this year?

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
I was watching CNN this morning and they were discussing how no one has really learned anything about budgeting and saving in spite of the economic downturn. Americans are expected to spend far more on Christmas this year than ever. They are right, but I didn't like their condescending tone, speaking about their fellow Americans like children.

It got me thinking about how I could CARE LESS if people overspend this Christmas. It's none of my business. But I would appreciate the same respect in return and ask that the unemployed, overextended, and OWS supporters not ask me for one more dime to bail them out.

Thank you. :eusa_whistle: Happy Shopping.

I've already stimulated the economy enough this year with new cars and guns. I have to help pay for my daughter's wedding later in the year so hopefully my wife will spend less than usual.

About $18 for 3 kilos of organic lamb.:cool: Making gyros,cucumber salad, hummus, served on baked spinach tortillas, and yet to decide what to do with my eggplant.
OK toss in another $80 for a couple of jugs of Anakena Ona and some Ouzu.

The plane tickets to Chile are next. Gotta go down and take care of bidness so you murkins can have those extremely overpriced Kiwi fruit with your Dunkin' Donuts and triple sausage McMuffins..:lol::lol::lol:

About as much as any other year. I have one rule. I only use cash. If I don't have the cash to pay for it, the stuff stays at the store. I always manage to get everyone something decent and I never have a credit card bill in January.

Hahahahahahaha

Remember when Mr Obama said something about not going to Las Vegas, or something like that?

Well dayum............
That was early Christmas. I took my daughters and their respective boyfriends to Las Vegas for 5 days as their Christmas present.

That's right, my Christmas shopping is done the gifts have already been given.

P.S.
I spent a lot and it was paid for in cash.

I don't know exactly how much I will spend on Christmas this year. Like laughinReaper, cash only. I've given the wife some money already - $2,000.00 for some Christmas gifts she wanted to purchase for some friends and I've bought her present - well, one of them, and it cost me right at $9,000.00. She wanted a Brother Quattro 2 6700D Sewing and Embroidery Machine. So, I need to get her a little something to go with that. Me? I don't particularly want anything and don't have any big desires for anything so I don't care if Santa skips me this year. Most likely we will spend about $15,000 on Christmas this year.

On gifts for others it usually runs about 3k. We shop year round for ourselves so don't "give" gifts to each other for the holidays. New decorations can run us about 1k each year. I don't even want to know what the electric bill is!

The kids have most eveerything they want, so I will give them a box with 100 dollar bills and put on the card, I love you 100 times more. Mom and dad will get $500 each to their favorite stores and the inlaws giftcards to restaurants. Finish up with books for each of the boys.

One year I spent so much, they had to take a nap after opening half the presents. That was too much.

Not quite so much as when the cost of heating oil was a dollar less per gallon, that's for damned sure.

I spend a lot, but I buy for a lot of people.
4 children
9 grandchildren
3 very close cousins
about 5 very close friends........and nothing for me (shit)....but it's all spent now, all wrapped and some are handed out and the rest are ready to be handed out.
And everyone I buy for, gets more than 1 gift!
It's not the amount of money that one spends, it's the thought that counts.
If someone spends $5 on a gift or $500 on a gift.....should make no difference.......
Actually I prefer the sentimental gifts...the ones that people took time to make or have specially made.....over anything 'glam'.....such as a huge new Tv or some shit like that.
I don't "need" anything.......I enjoy giving gifts rather than receiving anyway :)

We will 'spend' Christmas together as a family. Won't cost us more than air fare but it's priceless.

I've made my Dad a shirt.

I've made Mom candles.

As a family, this year we are donating to several kids and homeless charities.

I have spent and will continue to spend most evenings in December out collecting money for a local charity that delivers hampers of food to the less fortunate in my area.

On 20th I'll be working at the Christmas lunch for local homeless people.

To me, that's what Christmas is all about. Doing something for someone else. I'm such a sanctimonious biatch. LMAO.

About $18 for 3 kilos of organic lamb.:cool: Making gyros,cucumber salad, hummus, served on baked spinach tortillas, and yet to decide what to do with my eggplant.
OK toss in another $80 for a couple of jugs of Anakena Ona and some Ouzu.

The plane tickets to Chile are next. Gotta go down and take care of bidness so you murkins can have those extremely overpriced Kiwi fruit with your Dunkin' Donuts and triple sausage McMuffins..:lol::lol::lol:

Chile??????

Jeezus!!!!

Well, have a nice flight.:eusa_angel:

Alive-Front-Cover-7431.jpg

About as much as any other year. I have one rule. I only use cash. If I don't have the cash to pay for it, the stuff stays at the store. I always manage to get everyone something decent and I never have a credit card bill in January.

i'm the same. if i don't have it in cash, i'm not buying it... (cash can be in a debit card, too, btw... doesn't have to be actual green stuff... just saying)

I was watching CNN this morning and they were discussing how no one has really learned anything about budgeting and saving in spite of the economic downturn. Americans are expected to spend far more on Christmas this year than ever. They are right, but I didn't like their condescending tone, speaking about their fellow Americans like children.

It got me thinking about how I could CARE LESS if people overspend this Christmas. It's none of my business. But I would appreciate the same respect in return and ask that the unemployed, overextended, and OWS supporters not ask me for one more dime to bail them out.

how many teachers have been laid off this year, chanel, because of "small government" corporatists?

just a reminder that people having financial trouble aren't just useless pieces of trash sucking from the government teat....

carry on.

how many teachers have been laid off this year, chanel, because of "small government" corporatists?

just a reminder that people having financial trouble aren't just useless pieces of trash sucking from the government teat....

carry on.

Oh crap. I agree with Jillian. :badgrin:

carry on.

Useless pieces of trash? Where did I say that?

Small government corporatists caused the downsizing of schools? I have no idea what you are talking about. Teachers have been laid off because the states are broke. And education has always been the responsibility of the states. True story.

I said I COULD CARE LESS HOW PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY. And if the CNN commentators are correct, then those laid off teachers are probably spending too much as well.

If ANYONE believes that an Xbox is more important than a mortgage payment, then go for it. I just don't want to hear "Bail the folks out".

Did I make myself clear enough?

carry on.

Useless pieces of trash? Where did I say that?

Small government corporatists caused the downsizing of schools? I have no idea what you are talking about. Teachers have been laid off because the states are broke. And education has always been the responsibility of the states. True story.

I said I COULD CARE LESS HOW PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY. And if the CNN commentators are correct, then those laid off teachers are probably spending too much as well.

If ANYONE believes that an Xbox is more important than a mortgage payment, then go for it. I just don't want to hear "Bail the folks out".

Did I make myself clear enough?

your implication was that if you're having money problems, you're a lazy OWS loser. sorry. i might have misread, but that's how it looked.

the states are broke because of cuts in federal spending and lost revenue due to high unemployment; that places extra stressors on the state and local government resources. for every job created in the private sector, a job is cut from the federal employee system. that is based on a refusal to restore an appropriate income stream to the federal government and demands for "smaller government" without ever thinking about what that means during an economic recovery.

i don't think the vast majority of people believe an xbox is more important than a mortgage payment. that meme... that villanization of people who are struggling seems to be a popular sentiment on the right... one which, frankly, i'm at a loss to understand. yes, there are people who abuse the system... but they aren't the mainstream... and they aren't who is affected by rampant cuts.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back