How Much Do We Spend on the Nonworking Poor?

Why would I do that? Are you saying that old people are not poor?

Medicare is for the old people. Medicaid is not. medicaid takes care of the "working poor" and should be counted.

Hmmmmm..... No, Mediaid is also for old people that do not have enough SS coming in to cover basics.

http://jfs.ohio.gov/ohp/bcps/FactSheets/ABD_Medicaid.pdf

Typical display of 'Conservative' ignorance.

Medicaid only kicks in for people that require intense medical care and have no other income than SS, there are extremely limited assets that can be owned as well. 1 car, a house and no more than about $3,000 in the bank. Not even enough to cover the cost of a funeral.

Well, it seems that the 'Conservative' position is that we should have a 'root, hog, or die' society. There vision of society seems to be that the Dickensonion England was the best of all possible societies. I really think that they should put this up as a major plank for whatever candidate that they get for this November. I am sure that it will play so well in with people that have just recently experiance the greatest economic debacle since the Great Depression. Especially since this type of thinking was a key element in creating the debacle.

You prefer just to spoon feed her and her kids so they can repeat the behavior,

I don't feed her anything. I just happen to know her.

I sure as hell wouldn't hire her. (glad you would) She can't do anything. And probably wouldn't show up for work half the time.

I don't know the answer. I only know the question. And the question is; with millions of Americans in this position, what is to be done about them?

Letting them suffer in their miserable existance is one option. Taking away what means they have to live is an option. Forcing them to give up their kids to foster care is an option.
Forcing them to be sterilized is an option. Forcing them back to school is an option.

Lots of options, not so much solutions. Most seem to involve forcing them to do something they either can't or don't want to do.

Any one know how many people have jobs doing/caring/providing for the poor. Are the poor now an industry that causes the employment of millions of people? If all poor people disappeared tomm, what would the unemployment rate go to?

Is survival more important to poor people than the opinion held by non poor people?

Medicare is for the old people. Medicaid is not. medicaid takes care of the "working poor" and should be counted.

Hmmmmm..... No, Mediaid is also for old people that do not have enough SS coming in to cover basics.

Medicaid only kicks in for people that require intense medical care and have no other income than SS, there are extremely limited assets that can be owned as well. 1 car, a house and no more than about $3,000 in the bank. Not even enough to cover the cost of a funeral.

That was the point, Girl. But people like you would take even that from them. Mean of mind and withered of soul.

That was the point, Girl. But people like you would take even that from them. Mean of mind and withered of soul.

Yea, I'm a big meanie expecting families to care for their own aging parents and provide the best environment they can for their kids. I guess I have no soul either, but I'll say a prayer for you. :tongue:

Nature girls seems to be the embodiment of the downtrodden lifting themselves up. Good for her.
Seems like maybe you should be working in the social services field where your "story" could be used for inspiration to the poor and motivation of the poor.

I think spending 40 hours a week tending to the poor should make it possible for you to put your efforts and experiences to good use instead of spending hours bashing the poor on a message board. IMHO.

Poor people are not reading this message board. They don't know what you know. They need your assistance and expertise.

And I am not poor so your message is wasted on me.

Does this mean you are looking to hire? What kind of job will you be offering. Relocation assistance?
What trade you think she should go for?

You are proposing a LOT of government help. How much would that help cost? Child care, foster care, housing assistance and re education and then government paid job training. How much does all that cost? vs a welfare check?

She is already in an area that has public transportation. The question is; will her employer be on the bus line? That is the problem. Or will you pick her up for work?

And I don't think you know much about what foods are available to poor people. Fast food is cheap and processed food are only a little bit more money. And there are not any grocery stores in the inner city. So poor people eat what is available. And what is most available is empty calories and weight gain.

Now taking away her kids is going to be a problem. She loves her kids and may question why they have to be taken away. But she is a poor person looking for help and I guess she would have to go along with the program. She may think she is being punished, but to bad.

Sounds like I got one welfare recipient a job and a Repub named Nature Girl is hiring her or at least refering her to an employer looking to hire welfare recipients. WOW. Next.

Wow, you are grasping at straws aren't you. Government assistance should be temporary, you're talking to someone that at age 10 was homeless with a single mom, ninth grade education and no skills, there were also 3 other siblings. Aunt and Uncle's stepped up, one already had three kids of their own. Dad told us to leave or stay so he could continue to beat Mom on a regular basis. She chose to leave.

If she can't care for her children, why are they still with her?? Is it a healthy environment for her to feed them fast food (BTW where did that money come from?). If someone truly loves their children, shouldn't they want what is absolutely the best for them??

Yes, I'll help her find a job when she really wants to improve her life and the lives of her children.

You prefer just to spoon feed her and her kids so they can repeat the behavior, free money, free housing, free food, free phones and cable ensures a vote to the party that says they're helping them. Are they really helping??

Might wanna do some research. "Poor" food consists mostly of starches and simple sugars (i.e. Ramen noodles), with very little meat, and very little vegetables, as both meat and veggies are more expensive than Ramen or Banquet dinners (1.00 each at Wal Mart).

Eating well requires that you have at least a median income, which is why so many poor people are obese.

Trust me.........I was a U.S. Navy Physical Fitness Coordinator (and yes, nutrition information is some of the stuff I was taught) for 8 years.

Why would I do that? Are you saying that old people are not poor?

Um, no, Medicaid is for poor people, Medicare covers all people over 65 even if they are rich and can pay cash out of pocket for medical expenses. Since you are obvious ignorant about how this works we can safely ignore anything you say.

Does this mean you are looking to hire? What kind of job will you be offering. Relocation assistance?
What trade you think she should go for?

You are proposing a LOT of government help. How much would that help cost? Child care, foster care, housing assistance and re education and then government paid job training. How much does all that cost? vs a welfare check?

She is already in an area that has public transportation. The question is; will her employer be on the bus line? That is the problem. Or will you pick her up for work?

And I don't think you know much about what foods are available to poor people. Fast food is cheap and processed food are only a little bit more money. And there are not any grocery stores in the inner city. So poor people eat what is available. And what is most available is empty calories and weight gain.

Now taking away her kids is going to be a problem. She loves her kids and may question why they have to be taken away. But she is a poor person looking for help and I guess she would have to go along with the program. She may think she is being punished, but to bad.

Sounds like I got one welfare recipient a job and a Repub named Nature Girl is hiring her or at least refering her to an employer looking to hire welfare recipients. WOW. Next.

Wow, you are grasping at straws aren't you. Government assistance should be temporary, you're talking to someone that at age 10 was homeless with a single mom, ninth grade education and no skills, there were also 3 other siblings. Aunt and Uncle's stepped up, one already had three kids of their own. Dad told us to leave or stay so he could continue to beat Mom on a regular basis. She chose to leave.

If she can't care for her children, why are they still with her?? Is it a healthy environment for her to feed them fast food (BTW where did that money come from?). If someone truly loves their children, shouldn't they want what is absolutely the best for them??

Yes, I'll help her find a job when she really wants to improve her life and the lives of her children.

You prefer just to spoon feed her and her kids so they can repeat the behavior, free money, free housing, free food, free phones and cable ensures a vote to the party that says they're helping them. Are they really helping??

Might wanna do some research. "Poor" food consists mostly of starches and simple sugars (i.e. Ramen noodles), with very little meat, and very little vegetables, as both meat and veggies are more expensive than Ramen or Banquet dinners (1.00 each at Wal Mart).

Eating well requires that you have at least a median income, which is why so many poor people are obese.

Trust me.........I was a U.S. Navy Physical Fitness Coordinator (and yes, nutrition information is some of the stuff I was taught) for 8 years.

Poor as in poor in nutrition. I know plenty of people who can afford to eat meat that choose to eat that crap because they are vegetarians.

Poor as in poor in nutrition. I know plenty of people who can afford to eat meat that choose to eat that crap because they are vegetarians.

Banquet dinners have "mystery meat", which is unacceptable to vegans.

Wanna try again asshole?

Banquet dinners have "mystery meat", which is unacceptable to vegans.

Wanna try again asshole?

There is a difference between vegan and vegetarian, why should I try again?

I know poor people who are vegetarians, and don't eat your mystery meat, who also happen to be healthy. Your claim is that is impossible unless you are at least middle class. That flat out makes you wrong.

Hey.......it was asked why so many of the poor are obese. I answered the question.

And........fwiw..........vegans make up a small percent of the population.

Hey.......it was asked why so many of the poor are obese. I answered the question.

I didn't ask. They are obese because they choose to eat crappy food and not exercise, simple statement of fact. I don't care if they are fat or skinny, unlike the people who live in the White House.

I didn't ask. They are obese because they choose to eat crappy food and not exercise, simple statement of fact. I don't care if they are fat or skinny, unlike the people who live in the White House.

No, you didn't ask, but you chose to respond to my post with a bunch of bullshit.

No, you didn't ask, but you chose to respond to my post with a bunch of bullshit.

Good point, I chose to respond to your bullshit post, so I cannot complain about the bunch of bullshit I got as a result.

Sozialstaat macht frei !

Interesting study

In Entitlement America, The Head Of A Household Of Four Making Minimum Wage Has More Disposable Income Than A Family Making $60,000 A Year

Money%20Earned.jpg

Forum List

Back