How much do insurance companies spend on actual patient care?

Twenty percent is not the profit margin. I think most health insurers would be thrilled to be making as much as software companies.

I wonder about this knee jerk reaction I see here. Whenever companies are making profits it is assumed to be "at the expense" of someone, like the consumer. So profit making is a negative.
In the real world profits are what allow higher salaries, better benefits, more research and development, and a better economy. All things one would imagine would be desirable.

Profits are not needed to provide insurance or banking services. Neither industry actually makes anything and should therefore not be considered 'industry'.

All you need to form an insurance pool is a lot of money, a computer and people with management skills worth between $30,000 and $200,000 per year.

There is no reason ANYONE should be making a few to tens of millions of dollars managing an insurance pool - we are paying them WAY more than they are worth.

Outsie of the obvious psychos on this board you are easily the biggest tool here. You understand zero about business or economics.
SHareholders are the last to be paid, as the owners are always the last to be paid. I'd suggest a course in business before you go showing how stupid you are again.

Im sure the Rabbi could tell us how much Doctors rip-off Insurance Companies?

Insurance companies will routinely deny claims knowing that a certain percentage of policy holders will, for whatever reason, pay the expenses out of pocket rather than going through the hassle of contesting the denied claim.

And insurance companies know that a certain percentage of claims made are simply fraudulent.
Is there a point you are trying to make here?
Most people are satisfied with their insurance coverage. Most people not covered either do so out of choice or could be covered under existing programs, or are illegals. So we have passed an uber-expensive entitlement program that will make things worse. Some progress.
Fortunately I expect the courts to throw out the legislation based on the unconsitutional mandate to purchase insurance.

Insurance companies will routinely deny claims knowing that a certain percentage of policy holders will, for whatever reason, pay the expenses out of pocket rather than going through the hassle of contesting the denied claim.

BEEEEP! WRONG ANSWER!

That's the New York Times losing "Let's fuck half our potential audience" business model and it's a total failure.

Insurance companies have to compete against other insurance companies, so if a company acted like that, their business would go elsewhere. We need to allow insurance to be sold across state lines and need to encourage Medical Saving Accounts

Back to the drawing board

drawing-board.jpg

Twenty percent is not the profit margin. I think most health insurers would be thrilled to be making as much as software companies.

I wonder about this knee jerk reaction I see here. Whenever companies are making profits it is assumed to be "at the expense" of someone, like the consumer. So profit making is a negative.
In the real world profits are what allow higher salaries, better benefits, more research and development, and a better economy. All things one would imagine would be desirable.

Profits are not needed to provide insurance or banking services. Neither industry actually makes anything and should therefore not be considered 'industry'.

All you need to form an insurance pool is a lot of money, a computer and people with management skills worth between $30,000 and $200,000 per year.

There is no reason ANYONE should be making a few to tens of millions of dollars managing an insurance pool - we are paying them WAY more than they are worth.

Outsie of the obvious psychos on this board you are easily the biggest tool here. You understand zero about business or economics.
SHareholders are the last to be paid, as the owners are always the last to be paid. I'd suggest a course in business before you go showing how stupid you are again.

*Blush* :redface:

And insurance companies know that a certain percentage of claims made are simply fraudulent.
Most people are satisfied with their insurance coverage. Most people not covered either do so out of choice or could be covered under existing programs, or are illegals. So we have passed an uber-expensive entitlement program that will make things worse. Some progress.
Fortunately I expect the courts to throw out the legislation based on the unconsitutional mandate to purchase insurance.

Shame The Devil, tell the truth...

You work for Blue Cross, don't you?​

BEEEEP! WRONG ANSWER!

That's the New York Times losing "Let's fuck half our potential audience" business model and it's a total failure.

Insurance companies have to compete against other insurance companies, so if a company acted like that, their business would go elsewhere. We need to allow insurance to be sold across state lines and need to encourage Medical Saving Accounts

Back to the drawing board

drawing-board.jpg

Insurance companies that routinely deny claims compete with other insurance companies that routinely deny claims resulting a one big ol' cluster fuck for the consumers.

You should try not being such corporatist suck-up weenie once in a while.

Actually I'm an independent business man. Try it sometime. It will prevent you from looking like a complete moron on these boards.

Actually I'm an independent business man. Try it sometime. It will prevent you from looking like a complete moron on these boards.

Moron enough to resort to name calling?

:eusa_hand: I'll pass.​

Why should insurance companies spend anything on their stupid customers or employees? Fuck them! 100% should go to profits!

Moron enough to resort to name calling?

:eusa_hand: I'll pass.​

No, moron enough so your posts don't sound like they were written by a 7 yr old with class envy.
Get out in the real world some time and see what it's like.

I was just going to ask this question. The senate bill mandates that 80% be spent on patient care. I am not that business-savvy, but was curious what other service industries consider reasonable operating costs and profit margins. Is 20% reasonable?

Social Security pays out 98.8% of premiums collected in benefits. I would say that there is your gold standard, at least for an option that does not need to feed million-dollar executives.

And how many billions is Social Security in the red?
Do you think a private company could survive with that kind of loss?
I don't think you can use any government funded program and use that as the "gold standard." It will lose everytime.

Last edited:
I was just going to ask this question. The senate bill mandates that 80% be spent on patient care. I am not that business-savvy, but was curious what other service industries consider reasonable operating costs and profit margins. Is 20% reasonable?

Social Security pays out 98.8% of premiums collected in benefits. I would say that there is your gold standard, at least for an option that does not need to feed million-dollar executives.

And how many billions is Social Security in the red?
Do you think a private company could survive with that kind of loss?
I don't think you can use any government funded program and use that as the "gold standard." It will lose everytime.

Get your facts straight - Social Security is NOT in the red. The trust fund is flush until 2035 using the most pessimistic economic assumptions and flush to 2041 using the most common assumptions. And this is if congress does nothing to shore it up.

Couple this with the fact that all federal employees, including congresscritters, hired after 1984 are subject to the same Social Security retirement plan as the rest of us, so that as we rid the system of the geezers currently running it, our fearless leaders will have a personal, vested interest in fixing it, Social Security is the best run financial service company in history, and your children's best hope for making sure their parents have a roof and something to eat without seriously cramping their style.

Why should insurance companies spend anything on their stupid customers or employees? Fuck them! 100% should go to profits!

Throw slave labor and no taxes into the mix and you got yourself the makings of a conservative utopia.

Forum List

Back