How Much Credit Should Obama Get For The Recovery?

I don't drink. Never have.

We have added 1.6 million private sector jobs in the last 12 months.

Private-sector jobs slowly returning, but being dragged down by rising government layoffs - The Washington Post

We have had positive GDP growth since 2009.

GDP Gross Domestic Product 2011 real gdp growth 2010 rate united states current statistics 2010 economic growth | EconPost

Which part of this don't you understand?

None of this was in his post, moron.....

You don't seem to keep context very well.

Now, is that a net increase in jobs ? Or have there been job losses at the same time ? If so, how many ?

PolitiFact | Nancy Pelosi says more jobs created in Obama's first year than eight years of George W. Bush

As I figured, you didn't even read the link I posted.

WASHINGTON — Conservative Republicans have long clamored for government downsizing. They’re starting to get it — by default.

Crippled by plunging tax revenues, state and local governments have shed over a half million jobs since the recession began in December 2007. And, after adding jobs early in the downturn, the federal government is now cutting them as well.

States cut 49,000 jobs over the past year and localities 210,000, according to an analysis of Labor Department statistics. There are 30,000 fewer federal workers now than a year ago — including 5,300 Postal Service jobs canceled last month.

By contrast, private-sector jobs have increased by 1.6 million over the past 12 months. But the state, local and federal job losses have become a drag on efforts to nudge the nation’s unemployment rate down from its painfully high 9.1 percent.

The economy has been expanding, at least modestly, since the middle of 2009. And state and local governments are usually engines of job growth during recoveries. But not now, said economist Heidi Shierholz of the labor-aligned Economic Policy Institute.

Private-sector jobs slowly returning, but being dragged down by rising government layoffs - The Washington Post

I'm amused that you didn't see the government layoffs coming, Chris. You do realize that Obama's first stimulus kept government employees working while it let the private sector shed hundreds of thousands of jobs? What did you expect would happen when the stimulus funds ran out? You need revenues coming in from the private sector in order to pay for jobs in the public sector (either that or you borrow billions more from China) and Obama's first stimulus didn't stimulate the private sector so those revenues simply don't exist.

What's even more amusing to me is that you think Obama's proposed "Jobs Bill"...which is essentially the same stimulus bill he was given the first time around, only on a much smaller scale...would do anything different THIS time. Yes, it will save some government jobs AGAIN but we will have to borrow money to pay for that and doing so would almost certainly result in yet another credit rating downgrade. Will you once again blame that on the Tea Party when that happens?

I'm also amused by your contention that it was the Republicans who kept the recovery from happening. If Obama had gotten all the things he wanted...like Card Check and Cap & Trade legislation...whatever slight recovery we're now experiencing wouldn't exist. The people you "blame" for a lack of recovery are actually the people who have kept Obama and his progressive dream team from messing up even more than they did. Republicans and Blue Dog Democrats not going along with Obama's far left agenda is the only thing that's kept us from going back into a double dip recession.

What a bizarre post.

Healthcare reform has nothing to do with the recovery.

Yes it does. Obamacare is one of the main things stalling a recovery.

It takes true ignorance and gullibility to believe massive changes in government regulations aren't going to have an effect on the economy.

I usually don't either blame or credit presidents for the economic situation. Mainly what happens is beyond their control. But this time I think it may be a little different. Obama's taken some steps some other presidents would be afraid to go. He's taken some political risks, in other words, which appear to be paying off. Should he get more than normal credit for the recovery?

Speaking of the current economy as "the recovery" is a tad premature, don't you think?

We're informed that there are leading indicators suggesting the economy is in recovery.

But until that happy news actually effects the economy of the most Americans?

Calling this disasterous economic time "the recovery" is a serious political mistake.

Totally. The market is like a roller coaster and while the "recovery" is nice just how long will it last??

I sure wouldn't bet any of my money on it.

None of this was in his post, moron.....

You don't seem to keep context very well.

Now, is that a net increase in jobs ? Or have there been job losses at the same time ? If so, how many ?

PolitiFact | Nancy Pelosi says more jobs created in Obama's first year than eight years of George W. Bush

As I figured, you didn't even read the link I posted.

WASHINGTON — Conservative Republicans have long clamored for government downsizing. They’re starting to get it — by default.

Crippled by plunging tax revenues, state and local governments have shed over a half million jobs since the recession began in December 2007. And, after adding jobs early in the downturn, the federal government is now cutting them as well.

States cut 49,000 jobs over the past year and localities 210,000, according to an analysis of Labor Department statistics. There are 30,000 fewer federal workers now than a year ago — including 5,300 Postal Service jobs canceled last month.

By contrast, private-sector jobs have increased by 1.6 million over the past 12 months. But the state, local and federal job losses have become a drag on efforts to nudge the nation’s unemployment rate down from its painfully high 9.1 percent.

The economy has been expanding, at least modestly, since the middle of 2009. And state and local governments are usually engines of job growth during recoveries. But not now, said economist Heidi Shierholz of the labor-aligned Economic Policy Institute.

I'm amused that you didn't see the government layoffs coming, Chris. You do realize that Obama's first stimulus kept government employees working while it let the private sector shed hundreds of thousands of jobs? What did you expect would happen when the stimulus funds ran out? You need revenues coming in from the private sector in order to pay for jobs in the public sector (either that or you borrow billions more from China) and Obama's first stimulus didn't stimulate the private sector so those revenues simply don't exist.

What's even more amusing to me is that you think Obama's proposed "Jobs Bill"...which is essentially the same stimulus bill he was given the first time around, only on a much smaller scale...would do anything different THIS time. Yes, it will save some government jobs AGAIN but we will have to borrow money to pay for that and doing so would almost certainly result in yet another credit rating downgrade. Will you once again blame that on the Tea Party when that happens?

I'm also amused by your contention that it was the Republicans who kept the recovery from happening. If Obama had gotten all the things he wanted...like Card Check and Cap & Trade legislation...whatever slight recovery we're now experiencing wouldn't exist. The people you "blame" for a lack of recovery are actually the people who have kept Obama and his progressive dream team from messing up even more than they did. Republicans and Blue Dog Democrats not going along with Obama's far left agenda is the only thing that's kept us from going back into a double dip recession.

^^^^

Omg - if we had Cap & Trade right now??????

^^^^

Omg - if we had Cap & Trade right now??????

Yes, unemployment would be at 5.2% and GDP would be growing at a health pace !

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Listening has taken a stop in ...

TheTwilightZoneLogo.png

I usually don't either blame or credit presidents for the economic situation. Mainly what happens is beyond their control. But this time I think it may be a little different. Obama's taken some steps some other presidents would be afraid to go. He's taken some political risks, in other words, which appear to be paying off. Should he get more than normal credit for the recovery?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1y04g6OPLnQ]Obama Dismantles Republican Caucus Part 1 of 7 - YouTube[/ame]​

Forum List

Back