How much and how often

roomy

The Natural
Apr 22, 2006
are you supposed to tip the Mexican staff at these all inclusive resorts?I know that tipping is a big thing to you Yanks but we don't really tip here, so any advice would be welcome, I wouldn't want to overdo or underdo the tipping.Do you tip after good service and everytime a waiter brings a drink or do you tip at the beginning of the evening or at the end and is tip size relative to service?
I also know that the workers rely on tips to boost their paltry incomes but can't help thinking they go home laughing and pockets bulging with dollar bills for maybe a half arsed service:confused:

Generally, if the service is good, my wife and I tip 25%. If you go to the same resturants like my wife and I tend to do, you will have the wait staff falling all over themselves to be the ones that serve you because they have come to know that we tip well. So, tipping well has it's benefits sometimes. However, if the service is poor, the tip should be much lower. It is true that in most places the wait staff rely on tips for the major portion of their income.

A tip is something you give for good service rendered to you not something you give because you are expected to. If you get half assed service give a half assed tip. If you get great service give a great tip.

Don't get pressured into this % crap.

All the food and drink is already paid for up front so the tipping is for the expectation of quicker and better service I think.I have read that some leave tips for the daily maid service on the pillow in the hopes that they will make a better job than otherwise and a tip for the guy that stocks the mini bar to ensure he stocks it with what you want.Then there is the bar staff and the waiting on staff, how often should you tip them and how much?

I love it when Brits ask about tipping. In restaurants in the UK, I get inundated with staff wanting to serve me... Americans have a rep as decent tippers.... When abroad, no one wants to serve the Brits cuz they are notoriously crap tippers.

Kudos to Roomy for thinking ahead!

All the food and drink is already paid for up front so the tipping is for the expectation of quicker and better service I think.I have read that some leave tips for the daily maid service on the pillow in the hopes that they will make a better job than otherwise and a tip for the guy that stocks the mini bar to ensure he stocks it with what you want.Then there is the bar staff and the waiting on staff, how often should you tip them and how much?

Tipping someone to do their job is not a tip, its a bribe. Giving someone a tip for service rendered is a different thing.

It's tricky for all inclusives. At some places in Jamaica it's against the rules to tip (or accept a tip if offered). In Mexico it seems to be de rigeur. Last time we did not leave a tip for maid service (and we didn't get our towels made into fancy animals) but the basic service was fine. So, for maid service, tip upfront (first or second morning). The staff on a whole probably makes about $10 US per day. So, don't feel like you need to match their salary when you tip. Figure $1 - $2 per day for things like maid service or mini-bar if you must.

For more personal service, wait staff, bartenders, tip more. If you want something special, tip something special. In the past we have had a group and wanted special attention from the wait staff (bring a tray of beer every 20 minutes until we say stop...lol) a tip of $20-$50 US will make that happen nicely.

Have fun!!

Tipping someone to do their job is not a tip, its a bribe. Giving someone a tip for service rendered is a different thing.

How much is a decent bribe for good bar service?

If your going to be there all night, a 20 should be fine.

Damn! I saw the title and thought it was something dirty!:lol:

I was going to say as much as I can and as often as I am able....:lol:

you are suppose to get good service, without tip because you supposedly paid for their service and tip....in cases where you choose to tip, hide the tip in a handshake when given....especially if the hotel enforces a no tip policy.

for your first drinks, a couple of bucks.... the bartender will remember you....after that, a buck every few drinks or so....new bartender, gotta start all over again.

the maid we tipped the last day....we had great maid service, gave her 20 bucks

for dinner, we gave 5 bucks to the waitress, if she was good and attentive, otherwise nada!

Forum List

Back