CDZ How Might We Soften The Blow of The Third Industrial Revolution, the Age of Robots?

AI will create 'useless class' of human, predicts bestselling historian

The way Harari sees it, humans have two kinds of ability that make us useful: physical ones and cognitive ones. The Industrial Revolution may have led to machines that did away with humans in jobs needing strength and repetitive actions. But the takeover was not overwhelming. With cognitive powers that machines could not touch, humans were largely safe in their work. For how much longer, though? AIs are now beginning to outperform humans in the cognitive field. And while new types of jobs will certainly emerge, we cannot be sure, says Harari, that humans will do them better than AIs, computers and robots.

AIs do not need more intelligence than humans to transform the job market. They need only enough to do the task well. And that is not far off, Harari says. “Children alive today will face the consequences. Most of what people learn in school or in college will probably be irrelevant by the time they are 40 or 50. If they want to continue to have a job, and to understand the world, and be relevant to what is happening, people will have to reinvent themselves again and again, and faster and faster.”

Robots Learn How to Make Friends and Influence People

Fears robots will take over world by becoming lawyers, architects and doctors
Fears robots will take over world by becoming lawyers, architects and doctors -
Scientists predict artificial intelligence will replace human workers, as highly-skilled robots look set to take over

Lawyers, doctors and accountants may be redundant in 20 years after scientists have claimed their jobs will be taken over by robots .

A study into the future of human employment has predicted a surge in machine-led work such as robotic counsellors, body part makers and virtual lawyers.

This is bad news for those in the profession , who could see themselves out of a job due to highly-skilled artificial intelligence.

The worrying research suggests that humans will be replaced because robots are able to produce better results.

why are we not teaching them computer code, HTML, and programming

Ummm...you may want to spend more time confirming whether your premises are valid. A quick look at a handful of public high school course catalogs indicates that computer programming is indeed offered. Whether and how many students take the classes offered is function of several things, but the one thing of which it's not a function is school systems not offering it. (apologies for the all-caps; I just copied and pasted)
  • Oakton High School, Fairfax Cty, VA
    • Programming
    • Web Page Development
  • Prince William County, VA Public High Schools
    • DESIGN, MULTIMEDIA AND WEB TECHNOLOGIES
    • ADVANCED DESIGN, MULTIMEDIA AND WEB TECHNOLOGIES
    • PROGRAMMING
    • ADVANCED PROGRAMMING
    • IT PROGRAMMING
    • IT DATABASE DESIGN AND MANAGEMENT (Oracle)
    • IT ADVANCED DATABASE DESIGN AND MANAGEMENT (Oracle)
    • IT WEB TECHNOLOGIES
    • IT ADVANCED WEB TECHNOLOGIES
  • Great Neck North High Schools
    • Intro to Computer Science I & II
    • AP Computer Science (this course prepares students for the AP Comp. Sci. exam, which, if they score a 4 or 5 on it, will give college credit for computer science)

Pursuing a curriculum comprised heavily of trade-oriented classes such as those above, as well as other job-skill classes, is fine, and for kids -- college bound or workforce bound -- who know what they want to do after graduating from high school, taking those classes may for them be a sage decision. Taking focused work-skills classes in high school is not, however, the wisest choice for all students. Accordingly, not every school everywhere offers courses such as the ones noted above, although a school system's academic philosophy may not be the sole or primary reason why they don't universally offer such courses.

There remain plenty of schools that adhere largely to the "old school" college prep model whereby students are expected to develop a very strong academic foundation in:
  • English composition (2 years) and literature (2 years or four years, at the student's discretion)
  • Modern foreign language (4 years)
  • Greek or Latin (at least one year of either
  • U.S.and world history (three years, with AP U.S. or AP European history in the third year)
  • Biology (one year or the equivalent if an advanced pace course is offered)
  • Chemistry (one year or the equivalent if an advanced pace course is offered)
  • Physics (one year or the equivalent if an advanced pace course is offered)
  • Math (culminating in Calculus BC)
  • Physical Education (2 years minimum)
  • Art (one year minimum)
  • Music (optional in place of art or in addition to art, at the student's discretion)
Mastering the material taught in those courses provides one with the skills necessary to be successful in any course of study in college. Students who don't pursue the AP versions of the noted classes can "round out" their curriculum with a host of useful classes such as economics, various business courses, IT courses such as those noted earlier, religion, etc., whatever captures their interest. Traditional college prep curricula provide the subject matter awareness, critical thinking and analytical skills prepare students to, in college, achieve highly in humanities, social sciences, science and math, engineering, business, architecture, etc., and they do not call the student to commit to a given academic or professional path before they've reached adulthood and gained exposure to a wider range of disciplines.

There is no best curriculum for high school students. Thinking there is is pure absurdity in the extreme. It is better to think of high school curricula as being on a spectrum having as its endpoints the classic college prep curriculum and the trade school curriculum. It is parent's jobs to collaborate with school counselors and together bring to bear their understanding of their child's abilities and interests, and the counselor's awareness of the school offerings, collegiate requirements, and the foreseeable future's work force requirements, to guide their child not to what is a "best curriculum" type, but rather the "best curriculum type for their child."

Whatever regimen of classes the "best for the kid" curriculum entails will, for many kids, land somewhere between the extremes on the spectrum of high school courses of study.

Back in my day, the college prep curriculum is what literally everyone took. Students who didn't show promise early on got "tracked" into an assortment of trade school and home economics classes and were permitted to take a highly abridged range of purely academic classes. That was probably not the best approach to educating youngsters, but it's nonetheless what happened. Fortunately, educators today are more enlightened; however, many of today's parents are folks who were educated using that model. The high academic performers' kids are generally the better for it; the lower performing parents' kids generally are not. The downsides of the "old school" approach are, IMO, manifest in the abundance of scatterbrained lines of thought pervading public discourse, cultural mores and principles, and politics today. Such is the impact of "infallibly getting it wrong" for an entire generation.

Last edited:
why are we not teaching them computer code, HTML, and programming

Ummm...you may want to spend more time confirming whether your premises are valid. A quick look at a handful of public high school course catalogs indicates that computer programming is indeed offered. Whether and how many students take the classes offered is function of several things, but the one thing of which it's not a function is school systems not offering it. (apologies for the all-caps; I just copied and pasted)
  • Oakton High School, Fairfax Cty, VA
    • Programming
    • Web Page Development
  • Prince William County, VA Public High Schools
    • DESIGN, MULTIMEDIA AND WEB TECHNOLOGIES
    • ADVANCED DESIGN, MULTIMEDIA AND WEB TECHNOLOGIES
    • PROGRAMMING
    • ADVANCED PROGRAMMING
    • IT PROGRAMMING
    • IT DATABASE DESIGN AND MANAGEMENT (Oracle)
    • IT ADVANCED DATABASE DESIGN AND MANAGEMENT (Oracle)
    • IT WEB TECHNOLOGIES
    • IT ADVANCED WEB TECHNOLOGIES
  • Great Neck North High Schools
    • Intro to Computer Science I & II
    • AP Computer Science (this course prepares students for the AP Comp. Sci. exam, which, if they score a 4 or 5 on it, will give college credit for computer science)

Pursuing a curriculum comprised heavily of trade-oriented classes such as those above, as well as other job-skill classes, is fine, and for kids -- college bound or workforce bound -- who know what they want to do after graduating from high school, taking those classes may for them be a sage decision. Taking focused work-skills classes in high school is not, however, the wisest choice for all students. Accordingly, not every school everywhere offers courses such as the ones noted above, although a school system's academic philosophy may not be the sole or primary reason why they don't universally offer such courses.

There remain plenty of schools that adhere largely to the "old school" college prep model whereby students are expected to develop a very strong academic foundation in:
  • English composition (2 years) and literature (2 years or four years, at the student's discretion)
  • Modern foreign language (4 years)
  • Greek or Latin (at least one year of either
  • U.S.and world history (three years, with AP U.S. or AP European history in the third year)
  • Biology (one year or the equivalent if an advanced pace course is offered)
  • Chemistry (one year or the equivalent if an advanced pace course is offered)
  • Physics (one year or the equivalent if an advanced pace course is offered)
  • Math (culminating in Calculus BC)
  • Physical Education (2 years minimum)
  • Art (one year minimum)
  • Music (optional in place of art or in addition to art, at the student's discretion)
Mastering the material taught in those courses provides one with the skills necessary to be successful in any course of study in college. Students who don't pursue the AP versions of the noted classes can "round out" their curriculum with a host of useful classes such as economics, various business courses, IT courses such as those noted earlier, religion, etc., whatever captures their interest. Traditional college prep curricula provide the subject matter awareness, critical thinking and analytical skills prepare students to, in college, achieve highly in humanities, social sciences, science and math, engineering, business, architecture, etc., and they do not call the student to commit to a given academic or professional path before they've reached adulthood and gained exposure to a wider range of disciplines.

There is no best curriculum for high school students. Thinking there is is pure absurdity in the extreme. It is better to think of high school curricula as being on a spectrum having as its endpoints the classic college prep curriculum and the trade school curriculum. It is parent's jobs to collaborate with school counselors and together bring to bear their understanding of their child's abilities and interests, and the counselor's awareness of the school offerings, collegiate requirements, and the foreseeable future's work force requirements, to guide their child not to what is a "best curriculum" type, but rather the "best curriculum type for their child."

Whatever regimen of classes the "best for the kid" curriculum entails will, for many kids, land somewhere between the extremes on the spectrum of high school courses of study.

Back in my day, the college prep curriculum is what literally everyone took. Students who didn't show promise early on got "tracked" into an assortment of trade school and home economics classes and were permitted to take a highly abridged range of purely academic classes. That was probably not the best approach to educating youngsters, but it's nonetheless what happened. Fortunately, educators today are more enlightened; however, many of today's parents are folks who were educated using that model. The high academic performers' kids are generally the better for it; the lower performing parents' kids generally are not. The downsides of the "old school" approach are, IMO, manifest in the abundance of scatterbrained lines of thought pervading public discourse, cultural mores and principles, and politics today. Such is the impact of "infallibly getting it wrong" for an entire generation.

Back in your day sounds a lot like communism. Interesting, care to tell us more about the glorious days of living like an insect?
Considering that you have declared that you think I'm less than intelligent (in clean debate mind you), I find your religious worship of the university system quite amusing.
Please go on. Let us witness the hypocrisy of the mods a bit more.

Back in your day sounds a lot like communism. Interesting, care to tell us more about the glorious days of living like an insect?

Considering that you have declared that you think I'm less than intelligent (in clean debate mind you), I find your religious worship of the university system quite amusing.

Please go on. Let us witness the hypocrisy of the mods a bit more.

Perhaps you should learn more about communism, beginning with the fact that it is a system that's never yet been achieved in practice on a national level despite the various attempts to do so.

As for "the glorious days of living like an insect," it seems you may know more about that than I as I've never done.

So that I might know precisely what you mean, what characteristics that I described from "back in my day" of high school resemble communism to you? Please detail the nature and extent of similarities you perceive.

As for what I may have said about your intellect, I'm certain you'll avail yourself of the opportunity presented by the above inquiry to show your existence to be something other than the lamentable result of a reckless exchange of genetic material. Indeed, I hope you do exactly that.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back