How many US troops in Iraq & Syria right now?

Okay. That was my understanding, as well. I'm not going to be losing any sleep over not knowing how many troops are there, but I still think there's a good chance this is all Trump trying to hide a blunder.

That's typical libtard behavior. Despite all evidence being to the contrary, you make something up to fit your agenda.
You have not given me one bit of evidence to the contrary. You have simply looked down your nose and told me it's none of my business, go play like a good little girl.
You have not explained why it is suddenly unwise to provide this information to the public when it was perfectly safe to do so DURING the fighting. You have not explained why it is operationally sensitive when it wasn't during other wars. So why would I NOT still have questions?

Those number of troops given out by the media were estimates, not official numbers by the DoD. Need to know basis is reality in the military. As a civilian volunteer at our urban combat center, I am never allowed to discuss which units we are training at any time. When my daughter returned from Iaq, I was given two days notice of the day she would be arriving home at her post. Discussing unit movements or capabilities on US Army web pages on Facebook or Instagram, and I would be the one responsible for deleting your posts.
Well, that's a little better. I didn't ask for any specifics or even WHERE the troops were in Iraq or what they were doing there, though, did I?

And you are incorrect that the troop numbers were estimates. The report put up by Tjin reported the exact number on a quarterly basis, all the way to the end of 2017.

I have that racist bastard on ignore, so I don't see his posts. Where do those numbers come from?
Well go to page 1 of this thread and unignore him for two seconds His link is there.

Okay. That was my understanding, as well. I'm not going to be losing any sleep over not knowing how many troops are there, but I still think there's a good chance this is all Trump trying to hide a blunder.

That's typical libtard behavior. Despite all evidence being to the contrary, you make something up to fit your agenda.
You have not given me one bit of evidence to the contrary. You have simply looked down your nose and told me it's none of my business, go play like a good little girl.
You have not explained why it is suddenly unwise to provide this information to the public when it was perfectly safe to do so DURING the fighting. You have not explained why it is operationally sensitive when it wasn't during other wars. So why would I NOT still have questions?

It was not "perfectly safe" to do so before. The number, location & type of soldiers deployed is valuable information for attackers. It is obvious. Maybe you should research just how many presidents released such information (current). Then, you will discover it's the norm, not just here but around the globe. Another research project would be to find other countries that post their numbers & location in real time.
Okay, so I Googled an example--when the French decided to withdraw from Afghanistan seven years ago. They were entirely specific. An article on the French NOT withdrawing from Syria, in Jan 2019 also reported how many French soldiers were there. Just like that. Not even five minutes.
I wonder if you guys are just full of shit.

Just how accurate do you think those numbers are?

It was not "perfectly safe" to do so before. The number, location & type of soldiers deployed is valuable information for attackers. It is obvious. Maybe you should research just how many presidents released such information (current). Then, you will discover it's the norm, not just here but around the globe. Another research project would be to find other countries that post their numbers & location in real time.
Okay, so I Googled an example--when the French decided to withdraw from Afghanistan seven years ago. They were entirely specific. An article on the French NOT withdrawing from Syria, in Jan 2019 also reported how many French soldiers were there. Just like that. Not even five minutes.

It has always been the policy worldwide to keep such information secret while current. Any real research will prove that. This last slew of lackadaisical leaders are the ones who deviated from the norm.

What are you inferring?

It has always been the policy worldwide to keep such information secret while current. Any real research will prove that. This last slew of lackadaisical leaders are the ones who deviated from the norm.
Are they "lackadaisical" or has technology--like satellites and spies with cell phones--made those secrets impossible to keep?

What are you inferring?

There is a term called Operational Deception. That is where you lie about your unit's location, structure, manning, and capabilities to deceive the enemy.

BTW, the Iraqis say we have about 5000 troops there.

Now, why do you need to know?

I already explained. Don't you read people's posts?

Are they "lackadaisical" or has technology--like satellites and spies with cell phones--made those secrets impossible to keep?

I'm truly baffled. Do you believe it is a good thing to be able to Google the numbers and locations of our servicemen overseas? Do you believe that because some governments can get that information, that the ordinary citizen should...like any old lady or any potential whack job? It is standard, now and throughout history, to try to keep this information secret. You do not want hostiles to know how many and where. Do you believe this is a Trump thing? Are you unable to see the reasoning behind it?

I'm truly baffled. Do you believe it is a good thing to be able to Google the numbers and locations of our servicemen overseas? Do you believe that because some governments can get that information, that the ordinary citizen should...like any old lady or any potential whack job? It is standard, now and throughout history, to try to keep this information secret. You do not want hostiles to know how many and where. Do you believe this is a Trump thing? Are you unable to see the reasoning behind it?
Why shouldn't I know? I've been alive long enough to know that the US military has not made it secret how many troops it was sending to specific countries. Until now.
I don't see you linking me to any evidence that what you say is true. Yes, during WWII these troop movements were secret, but we are no longer in the WWII world. Technology has outstripped our wish to remain "quiet" as we make our way to this front or that. And may I remind you that we are not at war in Iraq?

Why shouldn't I know? I've been alive long enough to know that the US military has not made it secret how many troops it was sending to specific countries. Until now.
I don't see you linking me to any evidence that what you say is true. Yes, during WWII these troop movements were secret, but we are no longer in the WWII world. Technology has outstripped our wish to remain "quiet" as we make our way to this front or that. And may I remind you that we are not at war in Iraq?

Because if you know, so does the hostile side. There are plenty who want to harm our soldiers. They do not need to know where to best place their IEDs for maximum effect. This is common sense. It wasn't just WWII, it is throughout history. It is mainstream military strategy, always has been and still is despite cell phones & satellites. Average suicide bomber doesn't have access to satellites so will be using your research methods to plan his attack.

Because if you know, so does the hostile side. There are plenty who want to harm our soldiers. They do not need to know where to best place their IEDs for maximum effect. This is common sense. It wasn't just WWII, it is throughout history. It is mainstream military strategy, always has been and still is despite cell phones & satellites. Average suicide bomber doesn't have access to satellites so will be using your research methods to plan his attack.
Okay, we are not going to get anywhere. (1) You keep ignoring that I am not asking for ANY specifics, including locations or even what they are doing there. All I asked for was a number, when it isn't any secret they are there. (2) We are not at war in Iraq. Presumably we aren't even "at war" in Afghanistan (we're just trying to keep the lid on, and are learning what Alexander the Great and the USSR and every other empire that has tried to control Afghanistan has learned--you can't control these people. They are the equivalent of a Neolithic people armed with AK-47's and rocket launchers.)

I sort of imagined I'd get either a number or a reasonable explanation when I began this thread.

Okay, we are not going to get anywhere. (1) You keep ignoring that I am not asking for ANY specifics, including locations or even what they are doing there. All I asked for was a number, when it isn't any secret they are there. (2) We are not at war in Iraq. Presumably we aren't even "at war" in Afghanistan (we're just trying to keep the lid on, and are learning what Alexander the Great and the USSR and every other empire that has tried to control Afghanistan has learned--you can't control these people. They are the equivalent of a Neolithic people armed with AK-47's and rocket launchers.)

I sort of imagined I'd get either a number or a reasonable explanation when I began this thread.

Hostiles definitely want to know how many bodies we have within range of a target ... insurgents have access to Google. We may not be at war with Iraq or Iran but there are definitely tensions.

You want the number of soldiers in each country listed somewhere and to not have conflicting reports. That's too much information. It wouldn't be an issue maybe regarding a few soldiers listed as stationed in...say...big ole Canada. That's not specific. But, Kuwait is totally different. It's a smart policy.

Forum List

Back