How many times have you been denied health care?

I have known people who cannot get health insurance for pre-existing conditions.

Denied health insurance is an entirely different act than denied health care.
I can be denied home owners insurance, but that doesn't prevent me from replacing the roof on my house after a hurricane. It just means the insurance company isn't paying for it.

True, Jillian. My doctor wanted me to stay in the hospital, but if the insurance wouldn't cover it, what choice did he have? You can't expect a doctor to cover hospital costs out of his or her own pocket.

Exactly. Unless someone is extraordinarily wealthy, illness without insurance coverage will either bankrupt them or cause them to go without treatment.

Personally, I think that's a pretty awful choice.

When I had my own practice, it cost me approximately $2,100 a month for health insurance because I wanted a plan that covered my choice of doctors. And I'm thankfully lucky enough now to have employer based health coverage and still I only get 80% of reasonable and customary if I go to an out-of-network provider.

Ever see what reasonable and customary looks like next to NY medical costs?? *sigh*

An illness without health insurance will not bankrupt most people. A serious illness probably will, but most people don't have a serious illness.

Fair enough, MM...but the only time I was denied was because of the insurance company. I don't think doctors are in the habit of denying health care, in fact I believe they take an oath about it.

Maybe we should demand insurance companies do the same.

A large part of my point is that health care doesn't really seem to be a crisis, Dr's are willing to treat people, and unless your name is Dude and you are in Asheville NC (a hippy town btw), most people are able to receive medical care.
I don't agree. If my doctor wasn't willing to treat me for free or if I couldn't pay for the additional care to cure something that was more than likely the hospital's fault I could have died.

People aren't denied emergency care in most cases but try getting emergency care for a chronic disease like cancer or diabetes. Bandaids might get paid for, but not treatment that will save a life, or even save taxpayer money in the long run.

Oh, and mental health care? It doesn't exist.

Exactly. Unless someone is extraordinarily wealthy, illness without insurance coverage will either bankrupt them or cause them to go without treatment.
Total crock of shit.

Most minimally invasive medical procedures are quite "affordable" and a lot of places offer discounts for cash, as it streamlines all the paperwork and red tape involved in passing the bill to a third party.

Moreover, private charities, nurse's associations, and various state indigent programs help to defray the costs of catastrophic care for the truly needy.

Unfortunately, your authoritarian nanny statist yammering points don't wash with reality.

Last edited:
People being denied healthcare is not what is ruining Americans financially. Being denied coverage for any miriad of trumped up reasons is what is killing us. Big insurance has us jumping through hoops and risking our health.

Obama just pointed out that not only do we pay high premiums but since big insurance gets tax breaks, we also pay for that.

I have known people who cannot get health insurance for pre-existing conditions.

I can be denied home owners insurance, but that doesn't prevent me from replacing the roof on my house after a hurricane. It just means the insurance company isn't paying for it.
Oh, please. Don't even start. I've been through a number of hurricanes and lost my roof, among other things, and the insurance company weaseled out of paying to replace. Not to mention that it is the bank or the government that insists you have coverage...I've got no choice in the matter.

I asked about being denied health care, not being denied coverage by an insurance agency.

That's kind of a narrow definition given that many times being denied coverage is the same as being denied health care.

:doubt: Actually no, it's not. In my area there are many clinics that do not turn you away, even if you owe them thousands of dollars, it's in their mission statements as well. They also don't care if you have insurance and half of them base everything on a sliding scale. So everyone can see a doctor. The hospitals here also don't check for insurance when you are admitted.

Fair enough, MM...but the only time I was denied was because of the insurance company. I don't think doctors are in the habit of denying health care, in fact I believe they take an oath about it.

Maybe we should demand insurance companies do the same.

A large part of my point is that health care doesn't really seem to be a crisis, Dr's are willing to treat people, and unless your name is Dude and you are in Asheville NC (a hippy town btw), most people are able to receive medical care.
I don't agree. If my doctor wasn't willing to treat me for free or if I couldn't pay for the additional care to cure something that was more than likely the hospital's fault I could have died.

People aren't denied emergency care in most cases but try getting emergency care for a chronic disease like cancer or diabetes. Bandaids might get paid for, but not treatment that will save a life, or even save taxpayer money in the long run.

I take you back to the original post. You were not denied health care, were you?

People being denied healthcare is not what is ruining Americans financially. Being denied coverage for any miriad of trumped up reasons is what is killing us. Big insurance has us jumping through hoops and risking our health.

Obama just pointed out that not only do we pay high premiums but since big insurance gets tax breaks, we also pay for that.

All insurance is,is basically a contract between you and the insurance company, United Healthcare's "doubling of profits" this quarter is a result of losing some big lawsuits last year which quite naturally,profits would be larger after those losses. I don't have a problem with courts enforcing contracts,only problem is,is too often,contracts are signed before being read(sound familiar,lol) and then when something happens that they think is covered,they find out it isn't. Need to read any contract you sign.:cool:

Last edited:

Oh, please. Don't even start. I've been through a number of hurricanes and lost my roof, among other things, and the insurance company weaseled out of paying to replace. Not to mention that it is the bank or the government that insists you have coverage...I've got no choice in the matter.

The mortgage holder demands that you carry insurance to protect their interest in the property. You do have a choice, you can choose to rent if you don't want to pay for property insurance, or you can choose to pay for your house in full instead of borrowing from somebody. they may not be choices you like or can afford, but you still have a choice.

I asked about being denied health care, not being denied coverage by an insurance agency.

That's kind of a narrow definition given that many times being denied coverage is the same as being denied health care.

:doubt: Actually no, it's not. In my area there are many clinics that do not turn you away, even if you owe them thousands of dollars, it's in their mission statements as well. They also don't care if you have insurance and half of them base everything on a sliding scale. So everyone can see a doctor. The hospitals here also don't check for insurance when you are admitted.
Of course they do. My son was recently in a car accident and before they'd even look at him they asked him about his insurance. For a immediate life threatening condition, they won't. But for anything else they will. So people that don't have insurance but are in danger of dying will get care...paid for by you. Thanks, btw. :lol:

I take you back to the original post. You were not denied health care, were you?
By the doctor, no. By the insurance company, yes.

The mortgage holder demands that you carry insurance to protect their interest in the property. You do have a choice, you can choose to rent if you don't want to pay for property insurance, or you can choose to pay for your house in full instead of borrowing from somebody. they may not be choices you like or can afford, but you still have a choice.
Yeah, sure you can. And if the economy depended on people that could pay cash for their homes it would crash faster than you could say Obama sucks.

How many times have you personally been denied health care, or has someone in your immediate family been denied health care?
Certainly, if there is a "Health Care Crisis", there must be millions of people that have been denied health care.
What care was denied to you personally or to your family member?

Never, as of yet.

Me neither.

Really?

You think you're getting cancer treatment if you have no health insurance?

:cuckoo:

Of course they do. My son was recently in a car accident and before they'd even look at him they asked him about his insurance. For a immediate life threatening condition, they won't. But for anything else they will. So people that don't have insurance but are in danger of dying will get care...paid for by you. Thanks, btw. :lol:
Now, that really sounds like BS. People carry insurance on their cars that cover medical treatments in case of an accident. Other health insurance is not required for car accidents. Been there, done that (car accident), my auto insurance covered the expenses.

Now, that really sounds like BS. People carry insurance on their cars that cover medical treatments in case of an accident. Other health insurance is not required for car accidents. Been there, done that (car accident), my auto insurance covered the expenses.
Probably true, but you don't know my son. He didn't tell the hospital what happened to him and the police weren't involved. The car insurance will eventually pay, but at the time the hospital had no knowledge of what happened or who the policy was with.

All insurance is,is basically a contract between you and the insurance company, United Healthcare's "doubling of profits" this quarter is a result of losing some big lawsuits last year which quite naturally,profits would be larger after those losses. I don't have a problem with courts enforcing contracts,only problem is,is too often,contracts are signed before being read(sound familiar,lol) and then when something happens that they think is covered,they find out it isn't. Need to read any contract you sign.:cool:

My insurance was a contract between my employer and their insurance company.

Really?

You think you're getting cancer treatment if you have no health insurance?

:cuckoo:
My friend who just died from pancreatic cancer did.

You have no fucking idea what you're talking about...Best quit digging.

Forum List

Back