How many people die from guns each day?

Gun-death tally: Every American gun death since Newtown Sandy Hook shooting (INTERACTIVE). - Slate Magazine

Of course, this data is incomplete. Not all reports get caught by @GunDeaths’ news alerts or his followers. Suicides, which are estimated to make up as much as 60 percent of gun deaths, typically go unreported. Nevertheless, we at Slate want to assemble this data as best we can.

I heard this on NPR today. It is Amazing what a society will accept and defend as "acceptable."

Just go to the CDC's annual report on mortality. It breaks down every reported death during the year.

FYI most gun deaths during most years are suicides.

Gun-death tally: Every American gun death since Newtown Sandy Hook shooting (INTERACTIVE). - Slate Magazine

Of course, this data is incomplete. Not all reports get caught by @GunDeaths’ news alerts or his followers. Suicides, which are estimated to make up as much as 60 percent of gun deaths, typically go unreported. Nevertheless, we at Slate want to assemble this data as best we can.

I heard this on NPR today. It is Amazing what a society will accept and defend as "acceptable."

Just go to the CDC's annual report on mortality. It breaks down every reported death during the year.

60% are suicides - and if somebody really wants to kill himself, he'll find a way.

A friend of a friend jumped off the Golden Gate bridge a few weeks ago. Gun Control wouldn't have stopped that death.

60% are suicides - and if somebody really wants to kill himself, he'll find a way.

A friend of a friend jumped off the Golden Gate bridge a few weeks ago. Gun Control wouldn't have stopped that death.
Obviously, we need more stringent bridge-control laws.

Shhhh...don't give the statists anymore ideas.

Sadly, the Golden Gate bridge has already been deformed with so called modifications to prevent "jumpers" - they clearly don't work.

Shhhh...don't give the statists anymore ideas.

Sadly, the Golden Gate bridge has already been deformed with so called modifications to prevent "jumpers" - they clearly don't work.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khSIYmTzt6U]The Simpsons - Dohs - YouTube[/ame]

Number of deaths for leading causes of death

1. Diseases of heart (heart disease)
2. Malignant neoplasms (cancer)
3. Chronic lower respiratory diseases
4. Cerebrovascular diseases (stroke)
5. Accidents (unintentional injuries)
6. Alzheimer’s disease
7. Diabetes mellitus (diabetes)
8. Influenza and pneumonia
9. Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome and nephrosis (kidney disease)
10. Intentional self-harm (suicide)
11. Septicemia
12. Chronic liver disease and cirrhosis
13. Essential hypertension and hypertensive renal disease (hypertension)
14. Parkinson’s disease
15. Assault (homicide)

Firearm—In 2009, 31,347 persons died from firearm injuries in the United States (Tables 18 and 19), accounting for 17.7% of all injury deaths that year. The two major component causes of all firearm injury deaths in 2009 were suicide (59.8%) and homicide (36.7%). Firearm injuries (all intents) decreased 1.9% from 2008 to 2009. The age-adjusted death rate for firearm suicide did not change from 2008, whereas the death rate for firearm homicide decreased 5.0% in 2009 from 2008.

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr60/nvsr60_03.pdf

Show me a link on the racial makeup of gun fatalities please.

For what I use for demographic stats there isn't a link for each specific category. The page has many filtering criteria and generates results according to what criteria you want.

It is the CDC's WISQARS Injury Mortality Reports found HERE

So, you would need to click homicide as the manner of death, firearm as the mechanism of injury then filter for race near the bottom.

For FIREARM murder in 2007:

Black: gun murders, 6,960 -- total black population, 40,451,108 -- gun murder rate, 17.21
White: gun murders, 5,380 -- total white population, 241,390,828 -- gun murder rate, 2.23

For ALL murder in 2007:

Black: total murders, 8,870 -- total black population, 40,451,108 -- total murder rate, 21.93
White: total murders, 8,914 -- total white population, 241,390,828 -- total murder rate, 3.69

What those numbers show me is that the entire leftist anti-gun POLITICAL program is dependent on convincing White suburban soccer-moms that little Dakota, Brent, Katelyn and Connor playing in their cul-de-sac are at the same risk of "gun violence" as DeShawn, Shanice, Jamal and Aaliyah are, gang-banging in da hood.

And that just ain't true!!!!

I'll let someone else post the murder rates from homogeneous population gun-control utopias for comparison with our white rate. . . .

Edited to add:

OOOPs!

I just realized I made a slight mistake.

I included Hispanics in the statistics above.

The real "White" gun murder rates should be:

White: gun murders, 3,053 -- total white population, 199,492,421 -- gun murder rate, 1.53

The real "Black" rate, with Hispanics removed, is higher than above (17.98).

So sorry . . .

Last edited:

The sad fact is that when you count suicides, and accidents (like children shooting themselves or another child) or adults shooting a family member by mistake (like a college student who's studying at a college away from home and returning late at night for the holidays and who's mistaken for an intruder), domestic violence, alcohol-induced arguments, etc, gun deaths in America are statistically and OVERWHELMINGLY personal and family tragedies and not the heroic acts of someone defending their homes from criminals.

I like how people are saying this is a liberal agenda.
You're wrong, guys; it's a government agenda. Just because it's current "ruled" by a liberal doesn't make the government any different. They wanted an excuse and they found it. If this happened under Bush 2.0 I'd expect much of the same result, although it'd be conservatives defending him and liberals attacking.

It's just one more push for the government to become Big Brother.

Many more people die as a result of drunk driving, illegal drug use.. They have laws against that as well but he criminals will still commit crimes. Banning guns just takes the law abiding citizens a way to protect yourself. If you do not want a gun, I suggest you do not buy one. But I will have one in my house to protect my family and possessions

The sad fact is that when you count suicides, and accidents (like children shooting themselves or another child) or adults shooting a family member by mistake (like a college student who's studying at a college away from home and returning late at night for the holidays and who's mistaken for an intruder), domestic violence, alcohol-induced arguments, etc, gun deaths in America are statistically and OVERWHELMINGLY personal and family tragedies and not the heroic acts of someone defending their homes from criminals.

You are neglecting the significant number of times weapons deter criminals (without a shot being fired).

I suggest you read the post at the link:

An opinion on gun control « Monster Hunter Nation

The more guns, the safer you are.

California gun sales jump; gun injuries, deaths fall - Data Center - The Sacramento Bee

Gun deaths and injuries have dropped sharply in California, even as the number of guns sold in the state has risen, according to new state data.

Dealers sold 600,000 guns in California last year, up from 350,000 in 2002, according to records of sale tallied by the California Attorney General's office.

During that same period, the number of California hospitalizations due to gun injuries declined from about 4,000 annually to 2,800, a roughly 25 percent drop, according to hospital records collected by the California Department of Public Health.

Firearm-related deaths fell from about 3,200 annually to about 2,800, an 11 percent drop, state health figures show.

Show me a link on the racial makeup of gun fatalities please.

There are several running in here with what you ask. Do your own research.

So you have nothing.

Gun deaths will continue as long as mental health issues are underfunded and the NRA continues to buy the GOP.
Incorrect. If you banned every gun in America, these gun deaths will continue unabated.

Why don't you go buy a bag of crystal meth.......that was banned too, but its freely available.

Moron. You just don't get it.

You CANNOT make the world perfectly safe. You cannot even make it reasonably safe.

Go buy a rubber room if you're afraid.

Vancouver and Seattle. Demographics, climate and economics, nearly identical. Property crime and petty crime, nearly identical. Homicides and suicides, Seattle has about twice as much.

Golly, what could cause that? Why yes, it would be due to the differences in the national gun policies of the USA and Canada.

Seriously kooks, don't pretend that national gun laws have no effect, because that's just delusional. Just be honest and say that you think the thousands of deaths are worth it to justify your warm fuzzy feelings.

Vancouver and Seattle. Demographics, climate and economics, nearly identical. Property crime and petty crime, nearly identical. Homicides and suicides, Seattle has about twice as much.

Golly, what could cause that? Why yes, it would be due to the differences in the national gun policies of the USA and Canada.

Seriously kooks, don't pretend that national gun laws have no effect, because that's just delusional. Just be honest and say that you think the thousands of deaths are worth it to justify your warm fuzzy feelings.
You really aren't very stable, are you?

Death by "Gun Control"

Take a look at the number of deaths that occur when you take away guns.

Go get a clue.

Gunny - they don't give a shit about blacks, statistics etc. Their ideology trumps everything. They use these tragedies as plitical leverage.
Abortian is the number one killer of children I'm guessing. Traffic accidents #2 ??

Draining is number 1 killer of kids between the ages of 7 and 1 by far.

Band public and private pools.

How about tracking what the kind of guns that are used in these deaths plus, which deaths are cops and citizens protecting themselves from bad guys?

Just a thought.

how many are also Gang related?......who are the real gun crazy fucks out there.....

Agreed...partial data is worst then no data at all.

a talk show on the way home on a PBS station had some "experts" talking about gun violence in California.....and this is the only time i have heard someone give a number as to how much would the gun violence go down if you eliminated gang violence....this guy said in this State anyway about 50% and maybe as high as 70% because some of the shootings are "questionable" if they can be considered Gang related.....he said and the others seemed to agree.....without those numbers California would seem to be pretty much a fairly safe place.....but they continue to shoot at each other and hit innocent kids walking home from school......so there you have it....

Forum List

Back