How many of you have Family and Friends who...

It is really hard when your mother curses at Obama every time he comes on TV. And when I try to explain that the people on FOX are fabricating the news on O, she cries. It is not worth it, so I just shut up...:eusa_eh:

Fox has commentators with opinion on some shows as do the other networks.

What news, actual news, did they fabricate?

Tell Mom not to cry. It's just politics. :D

The glass is always half empty if it's for Obama, and half full if it is for the conservative cause. The Good Ship Wingnut sails on unabated by the winds of reality...

Well duh Dante, people support and endorse their own shared political views.

Reality is generally not part of the equation for either side. You know the old, there is your side, my side and then there is the truth.

Fox has commentators with opinion on some shows as do the other networks.

What news, actual news, did they fabricate?

Tell Mom not to cry. It's just politics. :D

The glass is always half empty if it's for Obama, and half full if it is for the conservative cause. The Good Ship Wingnut sails on unabated by the winds of reality...

Reality is generally not part of the equation for either side. You know the old, there is your side, my side and then there is the truth.

Shared political views are one thing, ideological purity is quite another. Distinctions with differences matter.

Reality and truth? Why conflate the two? Doing so here only serves to obfuscate the differences between shared political views and ideological purity.

The GOP used to be a Grand Old Party, but at some point some very cynical scumbags came along and hijacked the party. Now a faction of the GOP is all we have left.

Factionalism of this sort is what Madison and others feared so much, not political parties. Factions usually have very narrow interests separate from the broader shared interests of the people as a whole unit. What is good for the faction might nit be good for their city, county, state, or nation, but it sure serves their narrow interests at the expense of most everyone else...think: religious extremism

Shared political views are one thing, ideological purity is quite another. Distinctions with differences matter.

Reality and truth? Why conflate the two? Doing so here only serves to obfuscate the differences between shared political views and ideological purity.

The GOP used to be a Grand Old Party, but at some point some very cynical scumbags came along and hijacked the party. Now a faction of the GOP is all we have left.

Factionalism of this sort is what Madison and others feared so much, not political parties. Factions usually have very narrow interests separate from the broader shared interests of the people as a whole unit. What is good for the faction might nit be good for their city, county, state, or nation, but it sure serves their narrow interests at the expense of most everyone else...think: religious extremism

Dante I could dissect and criticize what both parties have become. Why stop at just the GOP?

Party over Country is the problem. Not one party, but both.

The Federalist paper-10 has Madison describing faction as:

"...a number of citizens, whether amounting to a majority or a minority of the whole, who are united and actuated by some common impulse of passion, or of interest, adversed to the rights of other citizens, or to the permanent and aggregate interests of the community."

True, and the Framers wisely anticipated factions, hence a Republic rather than a democracy. Extreme political and religious factions are free to indulge themselves, yet the rule of law insulates the Nation as a whole from that extremism.

In recent years, however, the radical right, frustrated in its failure to advance its agenda, has attempted to undermine the rule of law and our civil liberties, particularly with regard to privacy and equal protection rights.

The worst thing Republicans can do is change their ideology. Politics like most things in life goes in cycles. Conservatism was hot in the 80's with Reagan. Then Bill Clinton came in for 8 years. Although he moved to the center a bit in his later years. Then back to Conservatism with George W Bush for 8 years. Now Liberalism is hot with Obama. If and when the majority of Americans are unhappy they will go for the other Party. It's inevitable.

To answer the OP's main question. I stopped watching most news broadcasts after the election and I suspended my Facebook account. I was tired of politics 3 weeks before the election and by time November 6th rolled around I was just ready cast my vote and get it over with. The Facebook account had to go because many of my "friends" were getting nasty with each other on both sides of the aisle. I'll get back to it all soon though. But I'm still posting here. :D

Dante I could dissect and criticize what both parties have become. Why stop at just the GOP?

Party over Country is the problem. Not one party, but both.

"...a number of citizens, whether amounting to a majority or a minority of the whole, who are united and actuated by some common impulse of passion, or of interest, adversed to the rights of other citizens, or to the permanent and aggregate interests of the community."

The two major parties are similar because they are made up of Americans with shared broad interests. They mostly differ on how to get things done and parts ways over some very serious ideologically partisan views. Why stop at the GOP? Becaus ethe GOP has been taken over by a dangerous faction.

The Democrats under Pelosi, Reed, and President Obama chose NOT to go after former Bush Administration Officials who people wanted investigated for various charges... The Democrats have put party aside for the sake of the nation only to be laughed and mocked by the right wing who would never consider such a move smart politics.

The Clinton Whitewater bullcrap and the Clinton extramarital crap...tens of millions of dollars and years wasted only to come up with a lie about a blow job between consenting adults? ..My, what a keen sense of history you have...:doubt:

- the quote above describes the right wing and the lefties, the corporate shills, and others, but out of the two major parties, only one is controlled by a faction.

Now the GOP has a leadership separate from the right wing, but the leadership's hold is tenuous at times. The have to feed the right wing red meat or...

The left has no real power in the DNC. Clinton was from the Democratic Leadership Counsel. Obama is a centrist no matter what the right says. Obama is progressive on some issues, liberal on others, moderate on some, and even conservative on a few...he's more a pragmatic institutionalist than an ideologue.

The nation is too far to the right of center on some issues for a leftist to ever win nationally

True, and the Framers wisely anticipated factions, hence a Republic rather than a democracy. Extreme political and religious factions are free to indulge themselves, yet the rule of law insulates the Nation as a whole from that extremism.

In recent years, however, the radical right, frustrated in its failure to advance its agenda, has attempted to undermine the rule of law and our civil liberties, particularly with regard to privacy and equal protection rights.
agreed

:clap2:

can't turn on the news anymore? You know, people who had their hopes and dreams set on Romney. I have close friends and family who were sure he was going to win...and now they are "current events challenged."

Not sure how to handle this and how long this will last. Anyone have any ideas on what can be done?

I haven't watched the "news" in years, don't even get a newspaper. I read the news online and I skip a lot of stuff. Frankly, this country has been depressing me for many years not. It's not just the dems, it's also the reps, the two most corrupt parties in the history of our nation and they are destroying this nation.

The worst thing Republicans can do is change their ideology. Politics like most things in life goes in cycles. Conservatism was hot in the 80's with Reagan. Then Bill Clinton came in for 8 years. Although he moved to the center a bit in his later years. Then back to Conservatism with George W Bush for 8 years. Now Liberalism is hot with Obama. If and when the majority of Americans are unhappy they will go for the other Party. It's inevitable.

To answer the OP's main question. I stopped watching most news broadcasts after the election and I suspended my Facebook account. I was tired of politics 3 weeks before the election and by time November 6th rolled around I was just ready cast my vote and get it over with. The Facebook account had to go because many of my "friends" were getting nasty with each other on both sides of the aisle. I'll get back to it all soon though. But I'm still posting here. :D

methinks you are where confuse extremism is concerned. Reagan for all his faults walked the pragmatist's line, more than the ideologue's line when many important issues were at stake...when push came to shove.

The liberalism of Obama is not left wing. The left has many issues with Obama, they just had nowhere else to turn to keep Romney from winning.

The GOP ideology today is far right wing purity or else.

can't turn on the news anymore? You know, people who had their hopes and dreams set on Romney. I have close friends and family who were sure he was going to win...and now they are "current events challenged."

Not sure how to handle this and how long this will last. Anyone have any ideas on what can be done?

I haven't watched the "news" in years, don't even get a newspaper. I read the news online and I skip a lot of stuff. Frankly, this country has been depressing me for many years not. It's not just the dems, it's also the reps, the two most corrupt parties in the history of our nation and they are destroying this nation.

this explains much about your posts.

I apologize for being so harsh on you. I didn't know how truly ignorant and uninformed you are. I truly do hope you learn more...

I apologize for being so harsh on you. I didn't know how truly ignorant and uninformed you are. I truly do hope you learn more...

Yeah, I knew that one was gonna come back and bite me in the butt....

At least I don't continue on about things I know nothing about. I do research before I discuss certain topics and you'll notice most of my posts on this board are in the coffee shop, where politics and religion are out and friendship is in. I'd rather be in than out any day. You have a good one now. :D

At least I don't continue on about things I know nothing about. I do research before I discuss certain topics and you'll notice most of my posts on this board are in the coffee shop, where politics and religion are out and friendship is in. I'd rather be in than out any day. You have a good one now. :D

I'm sorry. I have friends in the real world.

the only place you seem to stay in is your home.

Check how long I've been a member of this board and how many posts I've made. Trust me, I have a life outside this board. I also have friends on this board, mostly in the coffee shop. They are no less dear to me than my friends here. When Ollie went into the hospital I prayed for him. Do you know what that man has done and continues to do for this country? I am truly proud to call him friend even if I've never met him in person. Same goes for most of the people in the coffee shop. And btw, I don't have to agree with someone's politics to be friends with them. It would be really boring to only have friends who believe as I do.

As for staying in my home? I volunteer at the church on Mondays...I volunteer at the theater in the evenings on weekends, and I do volunteer work for the theater during the day, in fact I have to find a minimum of 70 volunteers per week for the plays coming up in December and remember I don't get paid for this. I'm also trying to set it up so that during their dress rehearsal at the theater for Cinderella, they allow the resident of Independent Living Services to watch for free. These are special needs people. I'm also going to try and get a reporter there so that both the theater and Independent Living Services, both non profit organizations get free publicity.

I spent last weekend door to dooring trying to get host families for Japanese students in an American Language immersion program, and that's in addition to the play.

Now if the economy were better I'd probably be out there with a job but since mine went to India, I haven't found another one, though to be honest I haven't been looking very hard until recently. Oh, and I never claimed ONE DAY of unemployment because after I was laid off, I was taking care of my severely autistic son and it would be very difficult to find a job where they would let me leave when Andrew was having a bad day. I don't believe in lying and in order to get unemployment you have to be actively searching for a job.

Now do you want to tell me just what it is I've said that makes you think I'm ignorant and uniformed? I mean really do I have to know what Justin Bierbeir is up to? Do I really care what Tom Cruise did? And that's pretty much what today's news is about.

I have about 1/3 the rep as some people who came here the same time I did, but I also have about 1/3 the posts. Apparently, I don't spend all day, everyday on this board and do have a life outside of it.

I have better things to do with my time than defend myself to you., though why I would want to I can't even fathom, I don't even know why you attacked. At first I thought it was a joke but no, you actually attacked. What did you hope to accomplish? Did you think you would hurt my feelings? Instead all you've done is shown that you can't debate without insults and you have the nerve to call me ignorant.

My grandmother doesn't even send me her chain e-mails anymore.

Check how long I've been a member of this board and how many posts I've made. Trust me, I have a life outside this board. I also have friends on this board, mostly in the coffee shop. They are no less dear to me than my friends here. When Ollie went into the hospital I prayed for him. Do you know what that man has done and continues to do for this country?

I am truly proud to call him friend even if I've never met him in person. Same goes for most of the people in the coffee shop. And btw, I don't have to agree with someone's politics to be friends with them. It would be really boring to only have friends who believe as I do.

:lol: methinks the lady dost protest too much :eusa_clap:

Ollie is a hero? :clap2: What does he do for the country? :lol:

you prayed for him? you useless little fuck, who cares about prayers from strangers? :mad:

I have friends who do not agree with me on politics...have all my life. What is so odd is you think that is a sign of a great and open mind? No, it exposes you as a small minded religious bigot. To think what comes natural for most sane, reasonable, rational people, is somehow deserving of praise. The circles you travel in must be very small and closed.

now go pray for yourself you silly little phoney. I've had your number for years, or maybe you forget, eh?
:eusa_shhh:

Last edited:
The Pub propaganda machine lies nonstop period, and doesn't report inconvenient facts and stories, see sig pp3, Libya, F+F, "had control for 2 years"...etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc. Pub dupes!! This means YOU! LOL

As for staying in my home? I volunteer at the church on Mondays...I volunteer at the theater in the evenings on weekends, and I do volunteer work for the theater during the day, in fact I have to find a minimum of 70 volunteers per week for the plays coming up in December and remember I don't get paid for this. I'm also trying to set it up so that during their dress rehearsal at the theater for Cinderella, they allow the resident of Independent Living Services to watch for free. These are special needs people. I'm also going to try and get a reporter there so that both the theater and Independent Living Services, both non profit organizations get free publicity.

I spent last weekend door to dooring trying to get host families for Japanese students in an American Language immersion program, and that's in addition to the play.

Now if the economy were better I'd probably be out there with a job but since mine went to India, I haven't found another one, though to be honest I haven't been looking very hard until recently. Oh, and I never claimed ONE DAY of unemployment because after I was laid off, I was taking care of my severely autistic son and it would be very difficult to find a job where they would let me leave when Andrew was having a bad day. I don't believe in lying and in order to get unemployment you have to be actively searching for a job.

Now do you want to tell me just what it is I've said that makes you think I'm ignorant and uniformed? I mean really do I have to know what Justin Bierbeir is up to? Do I really care what Tom Cruise did? And that's pretty much what today's news is about.

I have about 1/3 the rep as some people who came here the same time I did, but I also have about 1/3 the posts. Apparently, I don't spend all day, everyday on this board and do have a life outside of it.

I have better things to do with my time than defend myself to you., though why I would want to I can't even fathom, I don't even know why you attacked. At first I thought it was a joke but no, you actually attacked. What did you hope to accomplish? Did you think you would hurt my feelings? Instead all you've done is shown that you can't debate without insults and you have the nerve to call me ignorant.

You love to mention how you don't get paid for volunteering. So you're running for Sainthood?

Shit, I met people like you while volunteering. You're an insufferable pest, but most organizations take what they can.

that said, there is always the possibility I am very wrong about you and if I am, I apologize...seriously, but...

my bullshit radar is roaring ... I do apologize if I am wrong.

Dante
:cool:
dD

Forum List

Back