How many of you guys were born Christians? How many converted to Christianity?

Something that has been pointed out before is that when being polled many people when asked their religion merely cite their parents religion(s), but actually far fewer actually practice a religion; maybe 30% or so actively attend a church on anything like a regular basis. this is why when reading stats on assorted issues like divorce and the alleged 'decline of Christianity' are untrue conclusions. When looking at families in the 30% or so who actively practice their faith you find the divorce rates and drug use and all the rest lower by far than among those who merely claim their parents religion out of habit, and also it's more fashionable to claim to be atheist now; some think it makes them seem more 'intelligent' or something, but as we see in this forum all the time that is a patently false meme.

70% of Christians were born Christian, 30% were converts | Global Broadcasting Corporation (link to survey)
According to a popular research survery, 70% of Christians are born into Christianity, while the remaining 30% were converts.

Which one are you?

christ.gif
interesting statistics

Here is the breakdown of religious affiliation in the world.

Pew Research Statistic

jTgtZV4.png

The religiously unaffiliated include atheists, agnostics and people who do not identify with any particular religion in surveys.

Last edited:
How can such polls be valid in the vast majority of Muslim countries or Communist countries? They can't be.

How about rich guys like Bill Gates who donated more than half their fortune to try and end famine and cure diseases?

Its not me that is talking the smack about Rich folks its Jesus ...I myself am a Heathen however I am extremely well versed in Christian dogma

70% of Christians were born Christian, 30% were converts | Global Broadcasting Corporation (link to survey)
According to a popular research survery, 70% of Christians are born into Christianity, while the remaining 30% were converts.

Which one are you?

christ.gif

One is not "born" a Christian. Christianity, by definition, is a conscious choice to believe and act on that belief. I think what you're going for is how many of us were born and raised in Christian families.

That being said, I was not only born into a Christian family, but one with a strong tradition of ordained and lay ministers.

True, but most children are given only one possible religion. If that religion is an absolute waste in their mind, perhaps they might explore another when they are older, but more likely they just accept what they were taught as a kid. The idea that people normally just choose their religion based on their own informed beliefs is pretty dumb.

An interesting study might be whether or not people of deep faith perhaps know more about other religions than people who reject all religions based on their experience with the religion into which they were born.

If religion has had a favorable impact on one's life, then it is natural that people might investigate other religious beliefs to examine whether that religion, too, might have something to offer that the first religion overlooked or bypassed.

Survey: Atheists, Agnostics Know More About Religion Than Religious

You keep telling yourself that, Chuckles. It's like saying my male gynecologist knows more about being a woman than I do. There's what you can learn academically, and then there's what you learn by living it.

How can such polls be valid in the vast majority of Muslim countries or Communist countries? They can't be.

Because there are some absolutely HUGE Christian churches in Asia. There is an Assemblies of God church in Seoul, South Korea, which numbers about 480,000 people, and is one of the largest, if not THE largest, individual churches in the world.

Because there are some absolutely HUGE Christian churches in Asia. There is an Assemblies of God church in Seoul, South Korea, which numbers about 480,000 people, and is one of the largest, if not THE largest, individual churches in the world.

Yes, I'm aware of the Korean and some of the churches in parts of Asia, but in Muslim countries and Communist China many will not openly admit to being Christian, and that is also the case here in the U.S. now as well, especially among those hoping to get positions in colleges and universities. I admire those Christians in Red China who are persisting under a constant threat of arrest and continuing to practice openly.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back