How many of you got success/wealth by depending on government?

I get nothing that I know of. Our farm doesn't receive subsidies, and we pay a HUGE tax on it. My family is too 'wealthy' for welfare, and so far that I know, I have yet to get any government aid. I pay full lunch at school. I signed with the Air Force for 6 years Active Duty, and I don't consider that government aid.

My neighbor gets welfare, and other government aids, she smokes pot, does all types of drugs, is a alcoholic, and owns a house and 2 vehicles. Also owns 6-8 dogs. I call her a bug of society. She gets disability, even though she has no official disability, and has worked before 'unofficially'.

Your Air Force service is absolutely not government dependency, in that you are earning that money. Citizens pay the military, cops, firemen, teachers, to do a service. The taxpayers are getting something back for the money they pay you and other service members.

They get nothing in return for those who collect welfare for doing nothing but existing and breeding.

Just a comment poll here. How many of you got your wealth or success by depending on or going mostly through the government?

Now, this doesn't count simple protection we enjoy from cops and military while pursuing our dreams. Thats a given.

I came through a public high school, private college. So in part, got some education through public high school. All the rest in the private sector. Worked a LOT of jobs I hated. God I hated some of them jobs. Bagged groceries. Stocked shelves. Daycare. Laid bricks a while. Worked a go-cart track a few summers. And spent a few years in a restaurant while finishing college. But I am proud that my modest, middle class life came from a lower class upbringing, and did it with as little government intervention or help as possible.

Any more stories to share?

All of us.

Military protecting our country is part of it.

And police.

But also, government protecting our food supply, making sure it was safe as I grew up.

Government regulating doctors, supplying vaccines so I never had polio or any other crippling childhood disease.

Government research making a future possible in the greatest scientific country in the world (even with half the country fighting education).

Then I joined the military.

Government gave me the GI Bill. A guaranteed home loan.

When I hear right wingers wail and cry about government, a government made up of people we elect, not some "secret cabal" of mysterious men in black, I pity the fools. True dumb-ass. The very same people that believe "Noah's Ark" and the "Story of Samson". As they vote for right wing leaders who work to send their jobs overseas and apologize to BP, who hold millions of Americans hostage and give trillions in tax breaks to millionaires and billionaires, I pity them. And I get angry with myself for feeling such disgust at people who obviously have serious issues.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a comment poll here. How many of you got your wealth or success by depending on or going mostly through the government?

Now, this doesn't count simple protection we enjoy from cops and military while pursuing our dreams. Thats a given.

I came through a public high school, private college. So in part, got some education through public high school. All the rest in the private sector. Worked a LOT of jobs I hated. God I hated some of them jobs. Bagged groceries. Stocked shelves. Daycare. Laid bricks a while. Worked a go-cart track a few summers. And spent a few years in a restaurant while finishing college. But I am proud that my modest, middle class life came from a lower class upbringing, and did it with as little government intervention or help as possible.

All of us.

Military protecting our country is part of it.

And police.

But also, government protecting our food supply, making sure it was safe as I grew up.

Government regulating doctors, supplying vaccines so I never had polio or any other crippling childhood disease.

Government research making a future possible in the greatest scientific country in the world (even with half the country fighting education).

Then I joined the military.

Government gave me the GI Bill. A guaranteed home loan.

When I hear right wingers wail and cry about government, a government made up of people we elect, not some "secret cabal" of mysterious men in black, I pity the fools. True dumb-ass. The very same people that believe "Noah's Ark" and the "Story of Samson". As they vote for right wing leaders who work to send their jobs overseas and apologize to BP, who hold millions of Americans hostage and give trillions in tax breaks to millionaires and billionaires, I pity them. And I get angry with myself for feeling such disgust at people who obviously have serious issues.

You're talking about people getting paid by the government.....who return us a service! NOT people who get paid by the government....for nothing more than a handout. Different issues. Sure, we are all alive today in some part to the military or police, because we haven't been murdered or conquered.

I mean how many people came up and through welfare money was able to excell in life. Or through section 8 housing thrived into a better life.

People who get paid by the government to give back a service are earning that money.

Getting paid welfare....and paying us a service by just not committing crimes agains the rest of us....is not the same.

Oh, Bucs90, now you change the goal posts.

When I was at university, I knew single women with children on welfare and other assistance who got their degrees and went onto graduate programs. Two ladies I know are professors at East Tennessee State University; another got her Ph.D. at Texas Tech and consults in Austin.

The idea is to make recipients into tax payers whenever possible.

Last edited:

Im waiting on the government to decide whether to join my Qui tam law suit
Once they decide on way or the other Im in pretty good shape.

I get nothing that I know of. Our farm doesn't receive subsidies, and we pay a HUGE tax on it. My family is too 'wealthy' for welfare, and so far that I know, I have yet to get any government aid. I pay full lunch at school. I signed with the Air Force for 6 years Active Duty, and I don't consider that government aid.

My neighbor gets welfare, and other government aids, she smokes pot, does all types of drugs, is a alcoholic, and owns a house and 2 vehicles. Also owns 6-8 dogs. I call her a bug of society. She gets disability, even though she has no official disability, and has worked before 'unofficially'.

Your Air Force service is absolutely not government dependency, in that you are earning that money. Citizens pay the military, cops, firemen, teachers, to do a service. The taxpayers are getting something back for the money they pay you and other service members.

They get nothing in return for those who collect welfare for doing nothing but existing and breeding.

Well, I just hope I am able to get my weight done in time for BMT (I know I will, but worry all the same). I am really excited for Basic.

I owe my success to a blend of government assistance and my own hard work. I started working when I was 9 years old bagging groceries. I haven't been unemployed for more then 6 months in total since that time..even in college. As my father died when I was 15, we got some assistance. Although it was a pittance by todays standards it helped a great deal. And it was a great investiment by the government. In terms of taxes, I figure I've paid them back at least 400xs what I took out.

No regrets. I've seen the world, own an upper east side Manhattan co-op, and my 401k is pretty healthy thanks to President Clinton and President Obama.

Last edited:

When I was at university, I knew single women with children on welfare and other assistance who got their degrees and went onto graduate programs. Two ladies I know are professors at East Tennessee State University; another got her Ph.D. at Texas Tech and consults in Austin.

AH!!:clap2:

Yes, that is a point on the left I can agree with! That is what the welfare program is for. Sure, there are women who have babies with a man they love, and the man screws them over. Kids are expensive. Is it good for the government to give that mom a hand to raise the kids while she tries to scratch her way back to middle class? Hell yes. Nothing is more American than that, they are true success stories and thats what I'm asking for.

Your last sentence is golden. Turn recipients into tax payers. That should be the goal.

Problem is, 90% just keep recieving, and show no desire to scratch out of that.

If I could allow the gov't to take an extra $50 out of each of my paychecks, KNOWING it would go to a single mom trying hard to get OFF the system, I'd gladly do that. Sadly, most stories of poverty aren't similar.

Yes, that is a point on the left I can agree with! That is what the welfare program is for. Sure, there are women who have babies with a man they love, and the man screws them over. Kids are expensive. Is it good for the government to give that mom a hand to raise the kids while she tries to scratch her way back to middle class? Hell yes. Nothing is more American than that, they are true success stories and thats what I'm asking for.

Your last sentence is golden. Turn recipients into tax payers. That should be the goal.

If I could allow the gov't to take an extra $50 out of each of my paychecks, KNOWING it would go to a single mom trying hard to get OFF the system, I'd gladly do that. Sadly, most stories of poverty aren't similar.

The center right is only the 'left' in your mind, bucs90. You are not mainstream but far beyond Responsible Republican River and over the Conservative Range Mountains and down in some Crazy Tea Mine.

Happily, your condemnation and condescension mean nothing.

OK, let's see if you move the goal posts again.

The center right is only the 'left' in your mind, bucs90. You are not mainstream but far beyond Responsible Republican River and over the Conservative Range Mountains and down in some Crazy Tea Mine.

How did I move the goal posts? I asked how much of one's success is owed to the government, vs self, vs private sector. You answered well. Have many moms climbed out of poverty into middle class with a combination of gov't help, hard work, smart decisions? Absolutely.

Sadly, when given the chance, the lefties can't jump on a chance to adequately articulate this.

Oh, and Jake........I wish I could compare you to "Responsible Democrat River".....but it dried up in 1996.

May I remind you that we Republicans did nothing about any of it, then followed the Dems and the libs to their left on this issue. Now you have made some statements without quantifying your conclusion. You think 'such and such' but you can't quantify it. OK.

May I remind you that we Republicans did nothing about any of it, then followed the Dems and the libs to their left on this issue. Now you have made some statements without quantifying your conclusion. You think 'such and such' but you can't quantify it. OK.

I think I'm doing quite well qualifying it. Examples from society that can't be questioned. Clearly articulated posts.

And I'm not a Republican, I'm a conservative. Theres a difference.:eusa_angel:

How did I move the goal posts? I asked how much of one's success is owed to the government, vs self, vs private sector. You answered well. Have many moms climbed out of poverty into middle class with a combination of gov't help, hard work, smart decisions? Absolutely.

Sadly, when given the chance, the lefties can't jump on a chance to adequately articulate this.

They try, but it's hard overcoming a screaming right wing who refuse to believe anything unless they heard it on Fox.

What we should do, in my opinion, is tie work projects requirements to assistance. No one gets anything for free. Wash police cars. Pick up the park. Handicapable? Then provide daycare for those who can do work projects. No steak, no soda, no candy, no ice cream, no goodies like any of that on the food stamps. Encourage education: good grades means more goodies. They will learn.

Oh, and Jake........I wish I could compare you to "Responsible Democrat River".....but it dried up in 1996.

You know you have been conversing with a full blown head case right?

Mr. F can't discuss matters with me without going ballistic. Ask him about the John Birch Society, Eisnehower and others who were supposedly willing dupes of the communist plan to subvert American, so forth so forth ad infinitum ad nauseum.

What we should do, in my opinion, is tie work projects requirements to assistance. No one gets anything for free. Wash police cars. Pick up the park. Handicapable? Then provide daycare for those who can do work projects. No steak, no soda, no candy, no ice cream, no goodies like any of that on the food stamps. Encourage education: good grades means more goodies. They will learn.

Thats actually a really good idea. I've always thought the same. Work requirements along with drug testing. I mean, our cops have to get drug tested, why can't welfare recipients?

I worked at a grocery store in high school. I remember folks buying only food with food stamps; cereal, bread, cheese, milk, the basics. Then whip out $100 in cash to buy 2 cartons of cigarettes and a couple cases of beer. Not that welfare folks shouldn't be able to enjoy a night once in a while, but jeez, it was the same people, every week. They spent as much on beer, cigarettes and lottery tickets as they got in food stamps. Just seemed wrong.

I also feel that if a person is on welfare, their name should be on a "Do Not Pay" list for the lottery. If they can afford lottery tickets, they must have plenty of extra cash.

Forum List

Back