How many of you got success/wealth by depending on government?

bucs90

Gold Member
Feb 25, 2010
Just a comment poll here. How many of you got your wealth or success by depending on or going mostly through the government?

Now, this doesn't count simple protection we enjoy from cops and military while pursuing our dreams. Thats a given.

I came through a public high school, private college. So in part, got some education through public high school. All the rest in the private sector. Worked a LOT of jobs I hated. God I hated some of them jobs. Bagged groceries. Stocked shelves. Daycare. Laid bricks a while. Worked a go-cart track a few summers. And spent a few years in a restaurant while finishing college. But I am proud that my modest, middle class life came from a lower class upbringing, and did it with as little government intervention or help as possible.

Any more stories to share?

I received my primary education in PS, which was paid for by taxes which my parents paid. I went to college by working my way through college. I spent my own money on CPA exam courses. I passed the CPA exam by studying my ass off. I worked in the private sector my entire life, since age 16.

Thanks!

Just a comment poll here. How many of you got your wealth or success by depending on or going mostly through the government?

Now, this doesn't count simple protection we enjoy from cops and military while pursuing our dreams. Thats a given.

I came through a public high school, private college. So in part, got some education through public high school. All the rest in the private sector. Worked a LOT of jobs I hated. God I hated some of them jobs. Bagged groceries. Stocked shelves. Daycare. Laid bricks a while. Worked a go-cart track a few summers. And spent a few years in a restaurant while finishing college. But I am proud that my modest, middle class life came from a lower class upbringing, and did it with as little government intervention or help as possible.

Just a few questions:

How much of your house is owned by you and how much by a bank?

What is the age of your car(s), and how much is owned by a bank.

401(k) & pension plans aside. What is the value of all items that you own that will not fully depreciate (become valueless) within 15 years?

I've been working since 1978, the bank owns most of both my cars and my house. The only thing that I have that will not fully depreciate in the next 15 years is some jewelry that I inherited and my guitar collection. A total of about $3k.

I and my wife are college educated and work for very large global corp. we have lotsa credit, but ultimately own almost nothing.

Do you?

Just a few questions:

401(k) & pension plans aside. What is the value of all items that you own that will not fully depreciate (become valueless) within 15 years?

I've been working since 1978, the bank owns most of both my cars and my house. The only thing that I have that will not fully depreciate in the next 15 years is some jewelry that I inherited and my guitar collection. A total of about $3k.

I and my wife are college educated and work for very large global corp. we have lotsa credit, but ultimately own almost nothing.

Do you?

House - About 25% owned by bank.
Cars - 15 years & 5 Years - 100% ownership
No credit card debt.
Other assets, not really anybody's business but mine, sorry.

How long ago did you go to college? How much did you pay for tuition? How much does that private college charge for tuition now?

I had a psychology lecturer who said he funded his entire four year college education by just working construction for three months during the summer. This was in the early seventies. Do you think that would be possible today?

It's not really about being reliant on the government. It's about having a government that allows us to succeed.

Last edited:

Just a few questions:

Do you?

I owe $10,000 on my condo. By end of year I'll own it. It's modest, but I love the neighborhood. And by this time next year, probably be mine mine mine!!!

I drive a 99 Ford Ranger, 177K miles on it. But I keep the oil changed. It runs like new. I don't plan to replace it, but if I do, it'll be a used car. I'm not a big fancy car guy.

Lets see...in 15 years? My condo will be mine in a year or two, but right now? My truck, worth 2K maybe. I have a great gun collection and ammo, probably 10-12K range. Got a little stock. And God forbid it be soon, but my grandparents are alive and have a lot saved up in money and a large house they plan to pass down to us. Of course, Big Papa Government is gonna Death Tax them hard, so it won't be as much as they thought.

How long ago did you go to college? How much did you pay for tuition? How much does that private college charge for tuition now?

I had a psychology lecturer who said he funded his entire four year college education by just working construction for three months during the summer. This was in the early seventies. Do you think that would be possible today?

It's not really about being reliant on the government. It's about having a government that allows us to suceed.

Well, I was asking for everyone's personal story, not to be interrogated on mine.

But since you asked.

I went to college in 88-92. I didn't pay tuition, I was lucky enough to be a good football player, got a scholly. Furman U. It wasn't Florida State or Nebraska like I hoped, but it was football, it was free college, so I took it!! Still had to work to have spending money, they didn't give athletes a spending money check like they do these days.

And yes, it is entirely possible now to do that. The University of SC in-state tuition is something like 9-10,000. Thats very reasonable if you work through college. Add to that grants, loans, etc, it can be done. It sucks, but life is hard. We can't all go to Notre Dame, or a fancy school of arts. For many, Tech school, community college, or just regular in state 4 year college is the best option. Degrees in Art Photography For Diversity Enhancement don't always pay off.

Just a few questions:

Do you?

No credit card debt.

So, your cars are worthless or nearly, you've been paying your mortgage off for what 20+ years - and have paid many times more for it than it's worth on the market.

No credit card debt - congradulations - smart man!

Other assets - inherited does not count - well that is your business but think to yourself - does it all add up to par for the work you've done?

Just a few questions:

Do you?

No credit card debt.

So, your cars are worthless or nearly, you've been paying your mortgage off for what 20+ years - and have paid many times more for it than it's worth on the market.

No credit card debt - congradulations - smart man!

Other assets - inherited does not count - well that is your business but think to yourself - does it all add up to par for the work you've done?

Yes, it does. Sounds like he bought car and house that were a bit too expensive. But he still has them. Has a home. Has food. Has a job. Obviously earns enough to spend on the unnecessary addition of internet, so he aint struggling.

Yes. Hard work earned a good life. God Bless America.

Yes, I went to community college and I don't do badly either. However, when I went it was about $38 per credit hour in the late nineties. I've just looked up the cost now and it is $96. Husband took advantage of the GI bill to fund some of his college.

Yet average wages have remained stagnant.

How much do we own? Cars are owned outright but one is an old Ford F150, mine is a Ford Focus five years old. House, I'd say we'd be lucky to have 10% equity. Bought in 2005 and has lost value since then. We don't expect to be going anywhere soon.

Just a few questions:

Do you?

I owe $10,000 on my condo. By end of year I'll own it. It's modest, but I love the neighborhood. And by this time next year, probably be mine mine mine!!!

I drive a 99 Ford Ranger, 177K miles on it. But I keep the oil changed. It runs like new. I don't plan to replace it, but if I do, it'll be a used car. I'm not a big fancy car guy.

Lets see...in 15 years? My condo will be mine in a year or two, but right now? My truck, worth 2K maybe. I have a great gun collection and ammo, probably 10-12K range. Got a little stock. And God forbid it be soon, but my grandparents are alive and have a lot saved up in money and a large house they plan to pass down to us. Of course, Big Papa Government is gonna Death Tax them hard, so it won't be as much as they thought.

Congradulations on the condo, but have you ever added up the total that you've paid to the bank and compared it to it's market value?

Figures that you're a pickup truck kinda guy...know you love your ranger, but it's just about worthless - or will be soon.

Looks like your gun collection and stock are about the sum of your wealth. Kinda like my guitar collection - I keep telling my wife that guitars are investments....

Anyway, is your wealth accumulated really on a par with all the work you've done?

BTW, some of you lefties are arguing that you are paid what your labor is worth. Or basically that labor has become cheapened.

What if there were less employees out there? Your labor, by simple numbers, would be worth more.

If only someone had prevented the massive import of workers into this country.......maybe our labor would be worth more.

But as it is now, many low level jobs have been taken by imported workers. Thus making an excessive number of those workers who previously would've had those jobs all competing for the same jobs. Ooops.

PS and HS grad. Military service for a lot of years. Grad degrees on the GI Bill. Free medical care because of that service and the injuries incurred. Saved 10% of every dollar I ever earned. A series of investments in small businesses from Alabama to Texas, with my brothers and brothers-in-law. All of them PS educated, military service, GI bill in state universities, etc.

The GI Bill and the NDEA have been two of the greatest experiments in social democracy in modern western civilization.

I received my primary education in PS, which was paid for by taxes which my parents paid. I went to college by working my way through college. I spent my own money on CPA exam courses. I passed the CPA exam by studying my ass off. I worked in the private sector my entire life, since age 16.

Thanks!

Your parents alone paid enough in school taxes to cover you?
I guess we can stop people without school age children pay school taxes.

Just a few questions:

Do you?

Congradulations on the condo, but have you ever added up the total that you've paid to the bank and compared it to it's market value?

Figures that you're a pickup truck kinda guy...know you love your ranger, but it's just about worthless - or will be soon.

Looks like your gun collection and stock are about the sum of your wealth. Kinda like my guitar collection - I keep telling my wife that guitars are investments....

Anyway, is your wealth accumulated really on a par with all the work you've done?

Yes it is. Labor in America is less valuable now, since we've had a massive importing of workers.

My truck gets me to work. It's worth the world to me right now. My next used car will be too.

Thats the thing lefties don't get. Our "labor" isn't worth that much. We imported millions of workers. Thats reality. I hated it, but it happened.

I work, and I have a home, a car, food, a dog, and recreation. My labor was rewarded.

Just a few questions:

Do you?

Houses Zero One house we built from the ground up and it was paid for in blood sweat and tears and every dime we had at the time. It's a modest 3 bedroom 2 bath brick home. Never had a mortgage. My question woulld be to a lot of people.."how many of you bought homes that you could not afford?"

Car Zero and it's ten years old.

We own a nice boat too for offshore fishing.

BTW, some of you lefties are arguing that you are paid what your labor is worth. Or basically that labor has become cheapened.

What if there were less employees out there? Your labor, by simple numbers, would be worth more.

If only someone had prevented the massive import of workers into this country.......maybe our labor would be worth more.

But as it is now, many low level jobs have been taken by imported workers. Thus making an excessive number of those workers who previously would've had those jobs all competing for the same jobs. Ooops.

You measure the worth of employees (not just laborers) by the least that you can possibly get away with paying them. As long as there is some desparate SOB out there who will work for less, that is what sets the market value of labor.

How about measuring the worth of employees by the productive value of their work?

That's what a good labor union does - calculate out the value of the work done, not allowing the wealthy to take advantage of the economically disadvantaged.

I get nothing that I know of. Our farm doesn't receive subsidies, and we pay a HUGE tax on it. My family is too 'wealthy' for welfare, and so far that I know, I have yet to get any government aid. I pay full lunch at school. I signed with the Air Force for 6 years Active Duty, and I don't consider that government aid.

My neighbor gets welfare, and other government aids, she smokes pot, does all types of drugs, is a alcoholic, and owns a house and 2 vehicles. Also owns 6-8 dogs. I call her a bug of society. She gets disability, even though she has no official disability, and has worked before 'unofficially'.

You measure the worth of employees (not just laborers) by the least that you can possibly get away with paying them. As long as there is some desparate SOB out there who will work for less, that is what sets the market value of labor.

How about measuring the worth of employees by the productive value of their work?

That's what a good labor union does - calculate out the value of the work done, not allowing the wealthy to take advantage of the economically disadvantaged.

Not true.

Boeing measured the worth of the labor their union workers did on the Dreamline.

Then they measured that same labor, done by possible South Carolina non-union workers.

Result? Boeing just brought 6,000 high paying jobs to Charleston, SC, instead of Seattle, WA.

That labor is worth what Boeing is willing to pay for it.

Thats the problem. Union folks think their labor should be valued at what the WORKER thinks it's worth, not what the market does.

But again, by importing workers, we are making labor less valuable. It's simple math. And unions are bankrupting many companies and governments. Union workers are overpaid.

Forum List

Back