How many of you got success/wealth by depending on government?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by bucs90, Jan 28, 2011.

1. bucs90

bucs90 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19,210
    Just a comment poll here. How many of you got your wealth or success by depending on or going mostly through the government?

Now, this doesn't count simple protection we enjoy from cops and military while pursuing our dreams. Thats a given.

I came through a public high school, private college. So in part, got some education through public high school. All the rest in the private sector. Worked a LOT of jobs I hated. God I hated some of them jobs. Bagged groceries. Stocked shelves. Daycare. Laid bricks a while. Worked a go-cart track a few summers. And spent a few years in a restaurant while finishing college. But I am proud that my modest, middle class life came from a lower class upbringing, and did it with as little government intervention or help as possible.

Any more stories to share?

2. Soggy in NOLA

Soggy in NOLA Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,666
    I received my primary education in PS, which was paid for by taxes which my parents paid. I went to college by working my way through college. I spent my own money on CPA exam courses. I passed the CPA exam by studying my ass off. I worked in the private sector my entire life, since age 16.

Thanks!

3. Richard-H

Richard-H Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +510
    Just a few questions:

How much of your house is owned by you and how much by a bank?

What is the age of your car(s), and how much is owned by a bank.

401(k) & pension plans aside. What is the value of all items that you own that will not fully depreciate (become valueless) within 15 years?

I've been working since 1978, the bank owns most of both my cars and my house. The only thing that I have that will not fully depreciate in the next 15 years is some jewelry that I inherited and my guitar collection. A total of about $3k.

I and my wife are college educated and work for very large global corp. we have lotsa credit, but ultimately own almost nothing.

Do you?

4. Mr. Shaman

Mr. Shaman Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +819
    I can't remember anyone (here) claiming to be a Lobbyist.​

5. Soggy in NOLA

Soggy in NOLA Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,666
    House - About 25% owned by bank.
    Cars - 15 years & 5 Years - 100% ownership
    No credit card debt.
    Other assets, not really anybody's business but mine, sorry.

6. draper

draper Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17

How long ago did you go to college? How much did you pay for tuition? How much does that private college charge for tuition now?

I had a psychology lecturer who said he funded his entire four year college education by just working construction for three months during the summer. This was in the early seventies. Do you think that would be possible today?

It's not really about being reliant on the government. It's about having a government that allows us to succeed.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2011
  7. bucs90

bucs90 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19,210
    I owe $10,000 on my condo. By end of year I'll own it. It's modest, but I love the neighborhood. And by this time next year, probably be mine mine mine!!!

I drive a 99 Ford Ranger, 177K miles on it. But I keep the oil changed. It runs like new. I don't plan to replace it, but if I do, it'll be a used car. I'm not a big fancy car guy.

Lets see...in 15 years? My condo will be mine in a year or two, but right now? My truck, worth 2K maybe. I have a great gun collection and ammo, probably 10-12K range. Got a little stock. And God forbid it be soon, but my grandparents are alive and have a lot saved up in money and a large house they plan to pass down to us. Of course, Big Papa Government is gonna Death Tax them hard, so it won't be as much as they thought.

8. bucs90

bucs90 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19,210
    Well, I was asking for everyone's personal story, not to be interrogated on mine.

But since you asked.

I went to college in 88-92. I didn't pay tuition, I was lucky enough to be a good football player, got a scholly. Furman U. It wasn't Florida State or Nebraska like I hoped, but it was football, it was free college, so I took it!! Still had to work to have spending money, they didn't give athletes a spending money check like they do these days.

And yes, it is entirely possible now to do that. The University of SC in-state tuition is something like 9-10,000. Thats very reasonable if you work through college. Add to that grants, loans, etc, it can be done. It sucks, but life is hard. We can't all go to Notre Dame, or a fancy school of arts. For many, Tech school, community college, or just regular in state 4 year college is the best option. Degrees in Art Photography For Diversity Enhancement don't always pay off.

9. Richard-H

Richard-H Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +510
    So, your cars are worthless or nearly, you've been paying your mortgage off for what 20+ years - and have paid many times more for it than it's worth on the market.

No credit card debt - congradulations - smart man!

Other assets - inherited does not count - well that is your business but think to yourself - does it all add up to par for the work you've done?

10. bucs90

bucs90 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19,210
    Yes, it does. Sounds like he bought car and house that were a bit too expensive. But he still has them. Has a home. Has food. Has a job. Obviously earns enough to spend on the unnecessary addition of internet, so he aint struggling.

Yes. Hard work earned a good life. God Bless America.