How many military folk do we have?

Number of military vets on board?

• Coast Guard -- Active, retired or EAS'd

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • National Guard -- Army or Air

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Navy

The Trident II D-5 is a three-stage, solid propellant, inertially guided FBM with a range of more than 4,000 nautical miles (4,600 statute miles or 7,360 km) Trident II is more sophisticated with a significantly greater payload capability. All three stages of the Trident II are made of lighter, stronger, stiffer graphite epoxy, whose integrated structure mean considerable weight savings. The missile's range is increased by the aerospike, a telescoping outward extension that reduces frontal drag by about 50 percent. Trident II is fired by the pressure of expanding gas in the launch tube. When the missile attains sufficient distance from the submarine, the first stage motor ignites, the aerospike extends and the boost stage begins. Within about two minutes, after the third stage motor kicks in, the missile is traveling in excess of 20,000 feet (6,096 meters) per second.

Air Force
The LGM-118A Peacekeeper, initially known as the "MX missile" (for Missile-eXperimental), was a land-based ICBM deployed by the United States starting in 1986. A total of 50 missiles were deployed. Under the START II treaty, which never entered into force, the missiles were to be removed from the U.S. nuclear arsenal in 2005, leaving the LGM-30 Minuteman as the only type of land-based ICBM in the U.S. arsenal. Despite the demise of START II, the last of the LGM-118A "Peacekeeper" ICBMs (but not their warheads) were decommissioned on September 19, 2005.

Five hundred Minuteman III missiles are deployed at four bases in the north- central United States: Minot AFB and Grand Forks AFB, North Dakota, Malmstrom AFB, Montana, and F. E. Warren AFB, Wyoming. Operational since 1968, the model "G" differs from the "F" in the third stage and reentry system. The third stage is larger and provides more thrust for a heavier payload. The payload, the Mark 12 reentry system, consists of a payload mounting platform, penetration aids, three reentry vehicles (RVs) and an aerodynamic shroud. The shroud protects the RVs during the early phases of flight. The mounting platform is also a "payload bus" and contains a restartable hypergolic rocket engine powered by hydrazine and nitrogen tetroxide. With this configuration, the RVs can be independently aimed at different targets within the missile's overall target area or "footprint". This concept is known as Multiple Independently Targeted Reentry Vehicles (MIRV).
LGM-30 Minuteman III ICBM - United States Nuclear Forces

Too bad the DoD took the really big Air Force bang sticks away and has to count on the Navy more huh.

[Looking at this poll, the US Naval Service, with one brother Marine from the Royal Marines is kicking some serious ass ...
/QUOTE]

Gunny - I think if you'll research it, you'll find that every good Navy has a Marine Corps! Semper Fi
is Latin and it means "Who's my father?"

Quote: Originally Posted by RetiredGySgt
Baltimore Bob is make thread after whiney thread about Vietnam and he was in the Navy as a Draftee? I doubt he was a Corpsman so that leaves what? The boats that Kerry drove? Still a lot better then humping a rifle and a pack.

Holy Shit... I just saw this post. Baltimore Bob wouldn't make a pimple on the ass of a good Hospital Corpsman... My guess, if he was in the Navy at all, he must have been on loan from the Air Force and most likely one of those faggot Dental Technicians.

I assume that's the main boneyard, navy? Across the street near East Gate(? Kolb & Escelante), there is (or was) a smaller section where people used to paintball in the old planes.

Thats the main AMARG boneyard, whats interesting JB if you call ahead to the Pima A&S you can take a bus tour through the whole thing. They are a lot more strict with the aircraft after 9-11 than they used to be. Especially since the incidents involving the F-14 and its retirement. What really sruck me there the most, were the several B-1's that are now at AMARG and being stripped for parts.

AMARG is turning into a pull-your-part.

I assume that's the main boneyard, navy? Across the street near East Gate(? Kolb & Escelante), there is (or was) a smaller section where people used to paintball in the old planes.

Thats the main AMARG boneyard, whats interesting JB if you call ahead to the Pima A&S you can take a bus tour through the whole thing. They are a lot more strict with the aircraft after 9-11 than they used to be. Especially since the incidents involving the F-14 and its retirement. What really sruck me there the most, were the several B-1's that are now at AMARG and being stripped for parts.

Noticed they were using those B-1's as "hanger queens" and your right it is a pull-your-part boneyard to keep existing aircraft flying, because in some cases as you well know we have some aircraft in the Air Force inventory, as well as the Navy's that are not by any means what you would call new. It's not like Boeing is still in the B-52 business.

Noticed they were using those B-1's as "hanger queens" and your right it is a pull-your-part boneyard to keep existing aircraft flying, because in some cases as you well know we have some aircraft in the Air Force inventory, as well as the Navy's that are not by any means what you would call new. It's not like Boeing is still in the B-52 business.

It also doesn't help when they change their mind about retiring an airframe without letting the part's manufacturerers know.

doh!

Quote: Originally Posted by RetiredGySgt
Baltimore Bob is make thread after whiney thread about Vietnam and he was in the Navy as a Draftee? I doubt he was a Corpsman so that leaves what? The boats that Kerry drove? Still a lot better then humping a rifle and a pack.

Holy Shit... I just saw this post. Baltimore Bob wouldn't make a pimple on the ass of a good Hospital Corpsman... My guess, if he was in the Navy at all, he must have been on loan from the Air Force and most likely one of those faggot Dental Technicians.

As far as I am aware, only the Army and Marines drafted. The Navy and Air Force were never short of volunteers trying to escape being drafted.

I could be wrong, but I've never heard of it before.

The Draft is the informal American name for conscription and refers to the induction of young men (and in some countries, women) into military service. States employ conscription when they cannot induce sufficient numbers of recruits to join miltiary services through either or both patriotism and the offer of salaries and employment benefits.

In the United States the process of being drafted has not changed. Men between the ages of 18-26 receive a letter with the salutation "Greetings from the President". They will be given a place and time to report for induction, by which time they are expected to have their affairs in order, because they will go directly from the induction center to Army basic training or Marine boot camp (the Air Force and Navy do not usually accept draftees).

http://www.dkosopedia.com/wiki/The_Draft

I enlisted Marine Corps in 1984 during the glorious Reagan years. Funny, I figured that the MB was inundated with Marines but only 5 answered the poll. I guess a few Marines have a way seeming like ten times the actual number.

I enlisted Marine Corps in 1984 during the glorious Reagan years. Funny, I figured that the MB was inundated with Marines but only 5 answered the poll. I guess a few Marines have a way seeming like ten times the actual number.

There's never been any doubt about that!

A Taliban commander is patrolling when he hears a shout from behind a sand dune.

"One Marine is better than ten Taliban fighters"

The commander is enraged at this cheek so quickly sends his 10 best fighters over the dune.

A few shots can be heard. When all is quiet there is no sign of the ten fighters. Another shout rings out.

"One Marine is better than 100 Taliban fighters!"

The enraged commander rustles up 100 fighters and sends them over the dune. A firefight erupts. When all is quiet there is no sign of the taliban fighters. Another shout rings out.

"One Marine is better than 1000 Taliban fighters!"

The commander, now livid, sends 1000 fighters over the dune. A firefight lasting one hour ensues. When all is quiet, one dying fighter crawls back over the dune and into the arms of his commander.

"Don't send any more fighters. It's a trap. There's two of them!"

Forum List

Back