How Many Marines Are On USMB?

I'm an insulin dependent diabetic and therefore the Corps couldn't take me or I would have followed in my dad's footsteps. He enlisted in the Marines in 1942 and was in for the duration of WWII. My 16 year old son is strongly considering it.

I'm an insulin dependent diabetic and therefore the Corps couldn't take me or I would have followed in my dad's footsteps. He enlisted in the Marines in 1942 and was in for the duration of WWII. My 16 year old son is strongly considering it.

Well, good for him, but it's not for everyone. Don't let him be manipulated by the recruiters.

Well, good for him, but it's not for everyone. Don't let him be manipulated by the recruiters.

Trust me, I'm not. He is my only child. His mom is so proud she could pop a button and gets pissed at me because I remind him that the military is a dangerous business where people try to kill you. I have nothing against any branch and appreciate what they do for us, but it isn't like my job sitting at a desk in relative safety. I mean crap happens like when the Murrah building was blown up 6 blocks away from me or when the May 3rd, 1999 tornado came within a couple blocks of my house, but my odds of job safety are a whole lot better than any Marine sitting in a barrack state side. If he chooses to join up, I'll be proud and supportive, but I wouldn't be doing my job as a parent if I didn't fully inform him of all the angles and all his options.

i was in mid 80's, was aviation ordnance on harriers, never saw war but was in boot camp during the big one (grenada) and the bombing of the beiruit barracks.

What astounded me was what physical wrecks so many Marines were.

They were consistently the scrawniest, sickest lot of EMs I ever worked on.

That didn't stop them from overcompensating for their lack of health, of course.

But when I think of Marines what I see is some sickly puny little fucker running his ass off in the desert sun while sucking on a inhaler to help him survive his asthema and keepup with his unit.

Those damned fools would rather die than drop out, know what I mean?

Gotta admire their kind of gravitas.

Corpsman were, on average, bigger, healthier and stronger than the Marines we served with.

Every time there was a physical competition, one where things like speed strenth and endurance were measured, the corpsman as a class, did far better than the Marines in our units.

But if push ever came to shove?

I'd have wanted those scrawny sickly pathetic losers at my back, for sure.

It's that whole "size of the fight in the dog" thing, know what I mean?

Strange people, Marines...but in a good kinda way, mostly.

Interesting observation. I saw it the other way around, so I'm not sure what you're calling "healthy". Because we could see our belt buckles while they were ON? :lol:

Of course, you were in during a different era than I was. There WERE a lot of skinny Marines during the 80s- early-90s because the emphasis was running in silk shorts and sneakers -- an officer contrived event. During the 90s though the majority of us were so muscled up they had to change the height/weight standards. At the time I retired, if you didn't meet height/weight standards, they immediately measured bodyfat and if it was under 18% you automatically were authorized the weight for the next inch in height above yours. Prior to that, you had to go through a serious nutroll to get a waiver.

i am wide shouldered and naturally big but not tall, i left parris island without a pound to spare regarding making my weight limit for my height, and though i could outrun most of the guys i served with i was constantly flirting with weight control programs because of the height/weight limits.(p.s. today i am a bit of a fat ass, too much pizza and beer)

Comment/question - looking closely I see no chevrons for rank on any of these men's collars.

Not only that, but what are those diamond-shaped black patches on the arm of their cammies? When I was in, we didn't wear any patch other than name tapes and the USMC patch above the blouse pocket, or the iron-on EGA on our covers.

You sure this isn't a photo of the Army?

I wondered the same thing about those patches, since we didn't wear any patches like those when I was in, and there was a USMC policy against any unit patches, but that was 45 years ago, and I thought there might have been a recent change due to their status or whatever.

But in disregard of that policy, at my last unit at Camp Lejeune, which was the 2d Shoreparty Bn. (2d Mardiv), we wore a small red patch on front of our utility cover, and also one on the flank of one knee - not sure left or right. On TV, when a lot of Marines were going over in the beginning I saw a unit being deployed from Camp Lejeune with the same red patches.

But as for the accuracy of the photo caption, the WSJ article named the captain by name - omitted by me - and the unit as the 2nd Marine Expeditionary Brigade. There is an accompanying article about the Marines in Afghanistan.

There may be a clue in the cammies, the USMC now uses what is called the (MARPAT) Marine pattern, a disruptive digital pattern, unlike any other service's.

marpat_dual_300.jpg
marpat_700_01.jpg

The USMC Eagle, Globe and Anchor (EGA) emblem appears on the boots, the patrol cap (cover) and other appropriate locations.

marpat_ega_300.jpg
The EGA is also embedded in the pattern itself.

EDIT: "Landing Support Marines also wear the Red Patch insignia" - Wikkipedia (scroll down to the images of the MARPAT, and 8 lines down from there on the Wikki page.

Last edited:
I'm an insulin dependent diabetic and therefore the Corps couldn't take me...

You also are EXTREMELY cross-eyed, judging by your avatar.

You should see when I have my glasses on. My eyes look about 4 times bigger. It's skeery. That tooth is missing on purpose so I can keep my cigarette firmly in place what with all my mouth breathing and knuckle dragging.

I wondered the same thing about those patches, since we didn't wear any patches like those when I was in, and there was a USMC policy against any unit patches, but that was 45 years ago, and I thought there might have been a recent change due to their status or whatever.

But in disregard of that policy, at my last unit at Camp Lejeune, which was the 2d Shoreparty Bn. (2d Mardiv), we wore a small red patch on front of our utility cover, and also one on the flank of one knee - not sure left or right. On TV, when a lot of Marines were going over in the beginning I saw a unit being deployed from Camp Lejeune with the same red patches.

But as for the accuracy of the photo caption, the WSJ article named the captain by name - omitted by me - and the unit as the 2nd Marine Expeditionary Brigade. There is an accompanying article about the Marines in Afghanistan.

There may be a clue in the cammies, the USMC now uses what is called the (MARPAT) Marine pattern, a disruptive digital pattern, unlike any other service's.

marpat_dual_300.jpg
marpat_700_01.jpg

The USMC Eagle, Globe and Anchor (EGA) emblem appears on the boots, the patrol cap (cover) and other appropriate locations.

marpat_ega_300.jpg
The EGA is also embedded in the pattern itself.

EDIT: "Landing Support Marines also wear the Red Patch insignia" - Wikkipedia (scroll down to the images of the MARPAT, and 8 lines down from there on the Wikki page.

Well, things sure have changed since I got out 10 years ago. I remember that certain units wore braided loops, etc., but I'd never seen the black-diamond shaped patch before; and the EGA was only on our covers and blouse pockets(except dress uniforms).

Well, things sure have changed since I got out 10 years ago. I remember that certain units wore braided loops, etc., but I'd never seen the black-diamond shaped patch before; and the EGA was only on our covers and blouse pockets(except dress uniforms).

But the red patches were an exception during WWII and up to the present; they were/are about exactly 1-inch square red felt. I was surprised when I joined the unit because I didn't think there were any unit insignias of any kind and actually there were. But I'm with you, the "diamond" is an anomaly for me too. Had you heard of or seen the red patches?
The Pogey Rope was (is) worn by the 5th and 6th Marine Reginments only.

Last edited:
But the red patches were an exception; they were about exactly 1-inch square red felt. I was surprised when I joined the unit because I didn't think there were any unit insignias of any kind and actually there were. But I'm with you, the "diamond" is an anomaly for me too. Had you heard of or seen the red patches?
The Pogey Rope was (is) worn by the 5th and 6th Marine Reginments only.

No, I'd never seen or heard of the red patches. Totally new info for me.

From this link: US Marines - United States Marine Corps - About the US Marines
"Marines are less generous with awards and unit identification; the rationale behind this is that as a member of an elite force, it is enough to be identified simply as a Marine. For example, with the exception of breast insignia denoting a few specialized qualifications such as airborne (parachute), pilot or scuba/rebreather qualification, and small red patches sewn on the utility trouser legs and covers of some logistics Marines, Marines do not normally wear any insignia or device on their utility uniforms denoting their unit, MOS (military occupational specialty), or training. Further, many senior Marines involved in ground combat operations eschew the wearing of rank insignia in combat, on the theory that it simply makes them targets (as in Vietnam). Enlisted Marines are supposed to know who their leaders are, regardless of whether or not they are wearing rank insignia. "

The more black stripes the greater likelihoog an enemy would try to hit you. Same as with saluting in the field, not so good.

Last edited:
duh i know colorado man is a former marine due to his revealing it ...while discussing climbing and his climbing accident...

no, del it was a fucking insult...

i wanna be an army ranger ...i wanna live a life of danger...they are normally dumber than dirt

I disagree. I have met a few dumbass Rangers, but there a few dumbasses in every bunch. Mostly Rangers are just in love with death. That doesn't make 'em dumb.

Furthermore, tell a Ranger that he is dumb and you probably won't walk for a week.

Oorah, fellow devil dog, letherneck, lean, green, killing machines!

US Marine Capt of the 2nd Marine Expedionary Brigade gives his Marines a pep talk before loading up on helicopters during the start of operation Khanjari Thursday July 2nd.

WSJ July 3, 2009

2d-MEBAfghan-626x410.jpg

Comment/question - looking closely I see no chevrons for rank on any of these men's collars.

Not only that, but what are those diamond-shaped black patches on the arm of their cammies? When I was in, we didn't wear any patch other than name tapes and the USMC patch above the blouse pocket, or the iron-on EGA on our covers.

That isn't army. I'm thinking Royal Marines.

From this link: US Marines - United States Marine Corps - About the US Marines
"Marines are less generous with awards and unit identification; the rationale behind this is that as a member of an elite force, it is enough to be identified simply as a Marine. For example, with the exception of breast insignia denoting a few specialized qualifications such as airborne (parachute), pilot or scuba/rebreather qualification, and small red patches sewn on the utility trouser legs and covers of some logistics Marines, Marines do not normally wear any insignia or device on their utility uniforms denoting their unit, MOS (military occupational specialty), or training. Further, many senior Marines involved in ground combat operations eschew the wearing of rank insignia in combat, on the theory that it simply makes them targets (as in Vietnam). Enlisted Marines are supposed to know who their leaders are, regardless of whether or not they are wearing rank insignia. "

The more black stripes the greater likelihoog an enemy would try to hit you. Same as with saluting in the field, not so good.

Right. I understand the part about rank insignias and saluting in the field. I'd just never heard of logistics Marines wearing red patches. And I remember we all thought that the army, navy, and AF got all those medal and ribbons and patches, etc. to feel good about themselves like little kids getting commended for hitting the t-ball. Marines didn't get awards unless for something really legit (which is debatable), and didn't "try to look pertty".

US Marine Capt of the 2nd Marine Expedionary Brigade gives his Marines a pep talk before loading up on helicopters during the start of operation Khanjari Thursday July 2nd.

WSJ July 3, 2009

2d-MEBAfghan-626x410.jpg

That isn't army. I'm thinking Royal Marines.

:eusa_eh: Not Royal Marines, pal.

Forum List

Back