How many knew vote ID laws were Constitutional

More BS from the Pubs- same as all the ACORN stuff. NO actually voting fraud, but half the dupes believe they stole the election. What a bunch of functional morons- change the channel.
Election and voter fraud is a non-partisan problem, hack.

Actually, a non existant problem Pubs are demagogging to make voting harder for their opponents, corporate tool. LOL Change the channel.

Just because it is Constitutional doesn't mean it's ethical.

There is really only one reason to add restrictions to voting.

The conviction of Paul Schurick, the aide to former Gov. Robert L. Ehrlich Jr., on charges of election fraud is a sad end to a long career in Maryland politics. Mr. Schurick served this city and state long and well (much of it under the auspices of the late William Donald Schaefer), and it is a shame that the good he has done is now overshadowed.

But it would also be difficult to imagine a jury coming to any different conclusion. The basic facts of the case were never in dispute. Mr. Schurick himself admitted on the stand that he authorized the text of the infamous "relax" and "watch it on TV" robocall that went to hundreds of thousands of homes of African-American voters in Baltimore City and Prince George's County during the last two hours of the 2010 gubernatorial election. That recorded message clearly had no other purpose than to discourage Democrats from going to the polls.

That the call did not include an authority line to make clear that the Ehrlich campaign paid for it was pretty damning as well. Whether the whole mess was cooked up by controversial political consultant Julius Henson (who will soon be on trial on related charges, too) or Mr. Schurick was largely irrelevant. As Mr. Ehrlich's campaign manager, the buck stopped at Mr. Schurick's desk. Mr. Schurick authorized the call and knew what it said.

~snip~

No doubt Mr. Pettit will challenge the outcome on First Amendment grounds. He can argue that candidates and their supporters have a constitutional right to lie.

More BS from the Pubs- same as all the ACORN stuff. NO actually voting fraud, but half the dupes believe they stole the election. What a bunch of functional morons- change the channel.

Actually, a non existant problem Pubs are demagogging to make voting harder for their opponents, corporate tool. LOL Change the channel.
You can keep saying it doesn't exist, but examples of both R and D fraud has been provided in the thread alone.

Do hacks instinctively know how to be willfully blind, or is it learned behavior?

Onto the topic, yet, this does nothing to make voting hard, except for illegals.

Hmmmm.

You forgot to zip up.... your "chad" is hanging :rolleyes:

But seriously, how does it make it harder to vote?

If an ID makes it hard to vote... how do you get social services? (i.e. food stamps, welfare, etc etc..)

What a load of crap!

I happen to be one of those unique people who believes that everyone should be able to vote. (as long as they are legal) For the past 5 or 6 years I have volunteered at the County Republican Headquarters and the County Democrat Headquarters to go out and drive people to the polls if they needed a ride. I have for the past year included making sure they both knew I would also go pick up a voter and take them to get a free ID. Haven't had one request for that yet. And I only get 2 or 3 calls on election day. Sometimes none at all.....

Could someone tell me what part of getting a free ID is so difficult? And then tell me how the hell you ever functioned in todays world without one....... I've had picture ID since I was 16.....

It's quite interesting that the only ones against this are Dems when there is an equal amount of fraud from both sides.

Sorta reminds me of the kid trying to hide something in a drawer and protests way too loudly when the parent wants to look in that particular drawer.

Barack Obama
In at least 40 states, the GOP has introduced laws that would make it harder to vote—especially for minorities and young voters. Find out how you can help stand up for voting rights: The Republican Effort to Restrict Voting Rights | Protectingthevote.com

Don't forget making it harder for illegals to vote.

Simple solution: mandatory subcutaneous computer chip free of charge.

We'd be able to use it to get rid of illegals, and use it as a Lo-Jack for escaped felons.

WIN-WIN all around.

Just because it is Constitutional doesn't mean it's ethical.

There is really only one reason to add restrictions to voting.

The conviction of Paul Schurick, the aide to former Gov. Robert L. Ehrlich Jr., on charges of election fraud is a sad end to a long career in Maryland politics. Mr. Schurick served this city and state long and well (much of it under the auspices of the late William Donald Schaefer), and it is a shame that the good he has done is now overshadowed.

But it would also be difficult to imagine a jury coming to any different conclusion. The basic facts of the case were never in dispute. Mr. Schurick himself admitted on the stand that he authorized the text of the infamous "relax" and "watch it on TV" robocall that went to hundreds of thousands of homes of African-American voters in Baltimore City and Prince George's County during the last two hours of the 2010 gubernatorial election. That recorded message clearly had no other purpose than to discourage Democrats from going to the polls.

That the call did not include an authority line to make clear that the Ehrlich campaign paid for it was pretty damning as well. Whether the whole mess was cooked up by controversial political consultant Julius Henson (who will soon be on trial on related charges, too) or Mr. Schurick was largely irrelevant. As Mr. Ehrlich's campaign manager, the buck stopped at Mr. Schurick's desk. Mr. Schurick authorized the call and knew what it said.

~snip~

No doubt Mr. Pettit will challenge the outcome on First Amendment grounds. He can argue that candidates and their supporters have a constitutional right to lie.

voter ID laws do NOT add restrictions to voting. No one is prevented from voting. period.

Supreme Court upholds voter ID law - politics - msnbc.com

Just curious how many knew that the Supreme Court ruled that Voter ID was Constitutional?

Key:

Indiana provides IDs free of charge to the poor and allows voters who lack photo ID to cast a provisional ballot and then show up within 10 days at their county courthouse to produce identification or otherwise attest to their identity.

I have not read this entire thread, but it seems to me based solely on the quote above that Indiana has done a pretty decent job of dealing with the issue although, I suspect there are already many compaints about them having to go to the county courthouse to attest to their right to vote. In some counties, such as mine, that could be a very long trip for some people.

Then again, I'm sure with some work they could even make that easier, like just going to a nearby firehouse or library or another "approved" location.

Immie

Simply voting provisionally does not equate to the vote being counted.

Ballots are mailed 29 days before an election. Even if the post office gets rid of next day service, you'll still get your ballot in plenty of time.

Ballots are never rejected for a lack of proper postage and if our elections were ALL VBM like Oregon, counties could pay the return postage. It's still tons cheaper than having polling places.

75% of the votes cast in my county in November were by mail. It isn't going away.

Nor does it mean your vote will not be counted. If you follow the rules, it counts, period.
Right...just like if blacks answered all the questions on the tests, they could vote. If one of the 7-13% of people without photo IDs want to jump through the extraordinary hoops being placed in their path to voting, their provisional will count.

I am not against the mail idea, actually, but not as the sole source of voting.
There are always voting centers available. My county did an all mail ballot election for a local election. We had voting centers available in two county offices for 29 days plus a few more throughout the county for a week...So, why not have it as the sole source of voting? Having a hybrid system of both is not cost effective. Polling places are ridiculously expensive. You have the cost of training and paying the poll workers, the cost of delivering and picking up the equipment and the cost of renting the facility.

When I spoke of cost, I was talking about all the costs involved. To the sender, the post office, etc. Everything. I don't know of any studies showing definitively it is cheaper to hold an election by mail only, but it would be interesting to find out.

It is something like 30% cheaper to have vote by mail elections. Plenty of studies have been done...all you have to do is Google. You know how to Google don't you...you just put your fingers together and type.

All Mail Voting Increases Turnout and Saves Money in Hawaii

Senators Introduce Legislation To Expand Vote By Mail, Save Money and Increase Voter Participation

Mailbox as ballot box gains wider favor

Meanwhile, back on Earth.....

None of this is particularly new. It’s the same argument that the NAACP and other civil-rights groups make against voter-ID laws, and have for years. Wisconsin just passed one such law (and it’s neither southern or western, either), and Minnesota would have passed one by now had we elected a Republican governor in 2010. States have begun adopting these laws because of increasing instances of vote fraud, either in registration or in actual voting. Minnesota leads the nation in prosecutions at the moment for these violations, which erode the value of legitimate voting.

Why take this to the UN, though? The UN has no authority to tell states within the US to pass or not pass laws. They don’t have the authority to tell the federal government in Washington to do so, either. They might be able to gin up some public-relations momentum in an attempt to embarrass the states, but it’s only going to impress those people who already buy into the concept that the UN has any moral authority at all — especially its Human Rights Council (with whom the High Commissioner works), which spends most of its time and effort attacking Israel.

The NAACP should spend its time engaging with people who are legitimately concerned about voter fraud and the protection of the value of the franchise to all eligible citizens of the states. One concern mentioned in this petition is the difficulty in getting state-issued ID because of Jim Crow policies decades ago that kept blacks and other minorities from getting birth certificates. If this is still a widespread problem, then solve it as part of the necessary reform to secure the vote. They also complain that states don’t allow felons who have completed their sentences to vote; that’s another issue that can only be solved by local and state action, and not in Geneva, Switzerland.

Instead of complaining to people who have nothing to say about the law of a self-governing people, the NAACP would be better advised to start engaging with their neighbors to find ways to achieve a better result for all of the legitimate voters in their communities, and to protect the value of the votes they want to cast. A UN petition only makes it look as though they’re interested in grandstanding rather than reaching solutions, and hints that they’d be happier with the imposition of foreign diktats rather than self-governance. That’s no way to win this argument.

NAACP to petition UN to stop voter-ID legislation in states « Hot Air

Anyone hear about an investigation that may lead to the conclusion that Obama was illegally placed on the ballot in Indiana? I only caught a few seconds and haven't found anything on the net yet.......

Anyone hear about an investigation that may lead to the conclusion that Obama was illegally placed on the ballot in Indiana? I only caught a few seconds and haven't found anything on the net yet.......

Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton may have qualified for Indiana's 2008 presidential primary ballot as a result of fake petition signatures, the South Bend Tribune reported this week, following a joint investigation by The Tribune and Howey Politics Indiana.

The former governor Joe Kernan, a Democrat, on Wednesday became one of more than 40 people to come forward to say the signatures bearing their names to place Obama or Clinton on the 2008 Democratic primary ballot were forged.

"No, not at all," Kernan told the newspaper when asked if the signature attributed to him was similar to his actual signature. "Nor does the printing look like mine."

Possibly hundreds of signatures from residents of St. Joseph County were fake, the Tribune reported Sunday. The Indiana Republican Party has called for a federal investigation into the matter and county prosecutor Michael Dvorak has launched his own investigation. The state Democratic party says they support these attempts.

Was Obama illegally placed on Indiana

Forum List

Back