How many Greedy White Folk can you spot?

I'm reading "Dreams of my father." Everyone should. I wish more people had read it before Obama got elected.

Indeed. There's much in that book that can be cherry-picked to justify your points of view. I'm sure you have your yellow hilighter handy.

I'm reading "Dreams of my father." Everyone should. I wish more people had read it before Obama got elected.

Indeed. There's much in that book that can be cherry-picked to justify your points of view. I'm sure you have your yellow hilighter handy.

I'd bet money that you haven't read the book. Unfortunately, there's no way to prove it.

Oh well. Keep drinking the Kool Aid!

kool-aid-drinkers1.jpg

Obama is a white man with white and black parents. He was raised by his white family.

Anything about Obama's attitude can be traced to his white heritage. Obama barely knew about black culture in America until he landed in Chicago.

Obama knows the white racists like CrusaderFrank, all too well.

Where did he come up with the title of his autobiography "The Audacity of Hope"?

He should have titled it "The Audacity TO Hope." I mean who the fuck does he think he is, running for president and actually WINNING in white America? Right, Frankie?

I'd bet money that you haven't read the book. Unfortunately, there's no way to prove it.

Oh well. Keep drinking the Kool Aid!

kool-aid-drinkers1.jpg

I have read it, and as I recall it's full of anecdotes from his past and the message throughout is that he was trying to discover who he is as a person. I guess you haven't reached that stage of maturity yet, because eventually we all do. We just don't have the money nor the talent to put it down in a book.

I love Kool Aid, and the Obama flavor seems to also be enjoyed (still) by over half the country. So keep whining. You're still not winning.

Obama is a white man with white and black parents. He was raised by his white family.

Anything about Obama's attitude can be traced to his white heritage. Obama barely knew about black culture in America until he landed in Chicago.

Obama knows the white racists like CrusaderFrank, all too well.

Where did he come up with the title of his autobiography "The Audacity of Hope"?

He should have titled it "The Audacity TO Hope." I mean who the fuck does he think he is, running for president and actually WINNING in white America? Right, Frankie?

Obama was raised by a white family and Obama himself is white (partly). So maybe it was Obama's sense of white middle class entitlement that had him believe he could be President?

Interesing....how the meaning can change when a quote is selectively edited.

Wright's sermon:..."It is this world, a world where cruise ships throw away more food in a day than most residents of Port-au-Prince see in a year, where white folks’ greed runs a world in need, apartheid in one hemisphere, apathy in another hemisphere … That’s the world! On which hope sits.”

and left unsaid, in reference to the painting of Hope, with her one remaining string "...‘to take the one string you have left and to have the audacity to hope…that’s the real word God will have us hear…"

Rather changes the association Frank is attempting to make with the painting.

Not at all!

Obama and Wright are describing their white hating world view by looking at a painting of a woman sitting on a globe and fashioning "White folks greed" and "cruise ships tossing out food"

White hating? Or injustice hating?

Believe it or not there is truth in the statement: :..."It is this world, a world where cruise ships throw away more food in a day than most residents of Port-au-Prince see in a year, where white folks’ greed runs a world in need, apartheid in one hemisphere, apathy in another hemisphere … That’s the world! On which hope sits.”

Wright's sermon makes use of the painting as a metaphor....and it speaks a certain truth. There is a lot of inequity in the world, there is real hunger, starvation in places and wasteful abundance in others. There are people taking advantage of other people and people content to look away. There are areas still recovering from the exploitations of empires. And there are no easy answers. But denying it as the fiction of a man who "hates whites" doesn't make it any less real or valid.

They only way you can see that in the painting is if that's what in your head in the first place irrespective of the subject. It could have been a brick instead of Watt's painting "Hope" and Obama and Wright would have seen the brick of a symbol of greedy white folk.

Your completely missing the point of the sermon and the painting together. Hope sitting atop a world and what people like Wright see in that world - what that world means to them. It's not what you see, but it's not any less valid. When you strip away the conclusion - you strip away half of the meaning.

What he sees in the world Hope is sitting on....and what he sees in Hope herself: of Hope, with her one remaining string "...‘to take the one string you have left and to have the audacity to hope…that’s the real word God will have us hear…"

That is not such a bad thing.

I would be interested to see the text of the whole sermon.

There's is a world of white devils that they see in every painting, around every corner and they use that to exploit their respective congregations.

For some...yes....but there is also truth in his words.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back