How Many Colors Do You See? Only 1 in 4 can see them all.

RWNJ

Gold Member
Oct 22, 2015
Well. Let's see how you do. I could see all of them. How about you?

It's said that women can see more shades of color than men. But whether you’re a man or a woman, the number of colors you can see is actually limited by the color receptors in your eyes. These cone-shaped receptors are usually divided into three types, each one sensitive to a different color – red, blue, or green. The rest of the colors we see are just a combination of these three colors.

However, some people only have two types of receptors, making them a little color blind. About half of the population in the world have three types, while the remaining group has four types of receptors, and can see more shades of color than most people.

If you want to know how many types of cones you have in your eyes, count the number of shades you see in the picture below.

Click on images to enlarge

Less than 20 shades – Dichromat
You only have two receptor types, a bit similar to dogs. You probably prefer to wear black, beige, and blue shades. About 25% of the population are dichromats, most of whom are men.

20-32 shades – Trichromat
You have three types of receptors and enjoy wearing different colors. Your ability to perceive color is within the normal range. Roughly 50% of the population are trichromats.

33-39 shades – Tetrachromat
You’re probably a tetrachromat, and, like bees, you have four types of receptors in your eyes. You can see quite a few more colors than the average person. You’re probably irritated by the color yellow and less likely to wear clothes in any yellow shade. Some 25% of the population are tetrachromats, most of whom are women.

More than 39 – Count again
There are only 39 shades in the picture.

In my experience------flashing ishihara plates before the eyes of potential navy recruits------men got more
color blind issues than do women-------because men is inferior------also----my vague clinical impression is
that blue eyed boys are in worse shape than brown eyed boys. I once knew this stuff better----the
involved genes is X linked.... I think-----don't quote me. -my experience and knowledge is more than 35 years ---- WAY BACK

Is there any thread in this forum not filled with people celebrating stupidity? The OP is bullshit. For starters, consider the color range of your monitor. Most very likely, it does't extend far enough to test the claim of the OP. I see every color, and I see bullshit too.

Well. Let's see how you do. I could see all of them. How about you?

It's said that women can see more shades of color than men. But whether you’re a man or a woman, the number of colors you can see is actually limited by the color receptors in your eyes. These cone-shaped receptors are usually divided into three types, each one sensitive to a different color – red, blue, or green. The rest of the colors we see are just a combination of these three colors.

However, some people only have two types of receptors, making them a little color blind. About half of the population in the world have three types, while the remaining group has four types of receptors, and can see more shades of color than most people.

If you want to know how many types of cones you have in your eyes, count the number of shades you see in the picture below.

Click on images to enlarge

Less than 20 shades – Dichromat
You only have two receptor types, a bit similar to dogs. You probably prefer to wear black, beige, and blue shades. About 25% of the population are dichromats, most of whom are men.

20-32 shades – Trichromat
You have three types of receptors and enjoy wearing different colors. Your ability to perceive color is within the normal range. Roughly 50% of the population are trichromats.

33-39 shades – Tetrachromat
You’re probably a tetrachromat, and, like bees, you have four types of receptors in your eyes. You can see quite a few more colors than the average person. You’re probably irritated by the color yellow and less likely to wear clothes in any yellow shade. Some 25% of the population are tetrachromats, most of whom are women.

More than 39 – Count again
There are only 39 shades in the picture.

I is a tetrachromat too-------and------gee------I had NO IDEA THAT IS WHY I DISLIKE YELLOW.
I never buy yellow clothes---------if yellow lands on me by recovered cast-off--------I use it for slumming or
scrubbing----never bought a single item of clothing in yellow---it seems like an easter egg to me----or jelly bean

Is there any thread in this forum not filled with people celebrating stupidity? The OP is bullshit. For starters, consider the color range of your monitor. Most very likely, it does't extend far enough to test the claim of the OP. I see every color, and I see bullshit too.
It is only showing you 39 colors. Also, modern displays are capable of displaying true color, using 8 bits for each color. There are also high end displays that use 10 bit color, capable of displaying over one billion colors.

Forum List

Back