How many Americans watch soccer ??

If given free final tickets to a major final which one ??

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jimmyeatworld said:
Responding to the P.S. first: By todays game, you are right. What we call soccer should logically be called football. I think it's because soccer didn't catch on here at all until probably the 1970s. By that time American football had been around more than half a century, so somebody came up with a different name. Not sure where the name soccer comes from, though.

I think it's hard for other sports to find a place in the United States. The thing about baseball, football, and basketball is kids today have grown up with it, people my age have grown up with it, our parents grew up with it, etc. They were established long ago, while sports like soccer are still relatively new, historically speaking. That's why hockey has never really taken off here, though it is generally recognized as a major sport. When I was a kid, it was a "Canadian sport". They have teams all over the U.S. now, but there still isn't the tradition of it in places south of Detriot or Chicago.

Excellent point. I lived overseas for 12 years and from the moment a child could walk, he had a soccer ball in front of him/her.

In the United States, it is a baseball bat or football or basketball.

It's all what people know.

GotZoom said:
OK..right.

Soccer, in one form or another, has been around for 3000 years.

The United States is ranked 5th in the world rankings.

1994 World Cup which was held in the United States had an attendance of
3,587,538 over 52 matches (average of 68,991 per match).

The NFL averaged 66,409 for their 2004 season. And how many games do they plan in a normal season? No where near 52.

No worries though.

People don't have to agree.

NFL averaged 66k per game when there are 14-16 games per week. Thats WAAAAY more then 52. Do the math.

Weeks 1, 2 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 and 17 all have 16 games.
Weeks 3-10 have 14 games due to byes.

9 x 16 = 144
8 x 14 = 112
112 + 144 = 256

256 x 66,409 = 17,000,704

And thats just people going to the games. Then for the playoffs, the average attendance increases. That doesnt even cover people watching on TV. The NFL is the most watched professional sport around the world. The super Bowl is the most watched program in TV history every year.

Here's the actual numbers for that year BTW.

http://www.nfl.com/history/chronology/2001-#2004
The NFL set an all-time paid attendance record in 2004 for the third consecutive year with a mark of 21,708,624.

Regular- season paid attendance increased to 17,000,811, the first time the NFL reached the 17-million mark. Average paid attendance of 66,409 was also an all-time high, March 21.

I know some wuss' in Europe think soccer is the greatest thing since fish and chips but NFL rules this country and soon the world.

insein said:
NFL averaged 66k per game when there are 14-16 games per week. Thats WAAAAY more then 52. Do the math.

Weeks 1, 2 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 and 17 all have 16 games.
Weeks 3-10 have 14 games due to byes.

9 x 16 = 144
8 x 14 = 112
112 + 144 = 256

256 x 66,409 = 17,000,704

And thats just people going to the games. Then for the playoffs, the average attendance increases. That doesnt even cover people watching on TV. The NFL is the most watched professional sport around the world. The super Bowl is the most watched program in TV history every year.

Here's the actual numbers for that year BTW.

http://www.nfl.com/history/chronology/2001-#2004

I know some wuss' in Europe think soccer is the greatest thing since fish and chips but NFL rules this country and soon the world.

I stand corrected. Absolutely right - Number of games per week....didn't even think about that.

C'est le vie.

I like football..played it all through high school...and played soccer.

I like soccer more.

No biggie.

However..NFL will never rule the world....nice dream...but it will never happen.

GotZoom said:
I stand corrected. Absolutely right - Number of games per week....didn't even think about that.

C'est le vie.

I like football..played it all through high school...and played soccer.

I like soccer more.

No biggie.

However..NFL will never rule the world....nice dream...but it will never happen.

NFL Europe gains in popularity every year. Teams only play 10 game seasons but they are up to 18k per game in attendance.

http://www.nfleurope.com/news/story/8541737

That and they play in Tokyo every year and sell that massive stadium out. Plus they set an NFL record in Mexico City to watch the Cards and the niners, 2 of the worst teams in the NFL. 103,467 people watched the 2 worst teams in the NFL play football in Mexico during the regular season.

GotZoom said:
OK..right.

Soccer, in one form or another, has been around for 3000 years.

The United States is ranked 5th in the world rankings.

1994 World Cup which was held in the United States had an attendance of
3,587,538 over 52 matches (average of 68,991 per match).

The NFL averaged 66,409 for their 2004 season. And how many games do they plan in a normal season? No where near 52.

No worries though.

People don't have to agree.

Yeah, and every major city has their Pro soccer team too.
Nope..Atlanta did in 67-68..No on cared...they still don't. :gay:

akiboy said:
This topic should sound similar but i thought of writing something out of it anyways . I hav a question which i guess an American only could answer . Why dont you guys like soccer. You guys hav MLS ( thats major league soccer for the doubting thomases ) There are gr8 soccer stars in the U.S like Landon Donovan , Fredy Adu etc. But most of the Americans prefer basketball , superbowl , major league baseball to FIFA World Cup , UEFA Champions League . Whyyyyyyyyyyyyy ???????

P.S : Why do you guys call football as soccer and why not football ????

AkShay " SOCcER " Bharadwaj

Welcome to the board, Akshay. Especially since you are from the Middle East, I hope you will post on some political topics as well.

Soccer is not my thing, but I do like it better than baseball.

Forum List

Back