How many Americans watch soccer ??

If given free final tickets to a major final which one ??

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

akiboy

Mar 28, 2006
Mumbai
This topic should sound similar but i thought of writing something out of it anyways . I hav a question which i guess an American only could answer . Why dont you guys like soccer. You guys hav MLS ( thats major league soccer for the doubting thomases ) There are gr8 soccer stars in the U.S like Landon Donovan , Fredy Adu etc. But most of the Americans prefer basketball , superbowl , major league baseball to FIFA World Cup , UEFA Champions League . Whyyyyyyyyyyyyy ???????

P.S : Why do you guys call football as soccer and why not football ????

AkShay " SOCcER " Bharadwaj

akiboy said:
This topic should sound similar but i thought of writing something out of it anyways . I hav a question which i guess an American only could answer . Why dont you guys like soccer. You guys hav MLS ( thats major league soccer for the doubting thomases ) There are gr8 soccer stars in the U.S like Landon Donovan , Fredy Adu etc. But most of the Americans prefer basketball , superbowl , major league baseball to FIFA World Cup , UEFA Champions League . Whyyyyyyyyyyyyy ???????

Soccer players flop like no other, to the point of being irritating.

In all seriousness, soccer is a very difficult sport to be good at; requires excellent athleticism.

It's just terrible to watch on tv. Or really even in person. At least hockey is fun in person.

Huge soccer fan here. I try to watch all the Italian Serie A games and most of the Premiership games from England.

Played from age 7 to age 32. Club teams when I was younger, semi-professional in California and Italy (Serie C/2 Girone C) when I was older.

Lived in Italy during the 1990 World Cup Championships. Saw 5 games, including the 2 Semi-Final games (Italy - Argentina, W. Germany - England) and the 3rd place match (Italy - England).

Coached Girl's Select U 12 team to two straight California championships in the late 70's.

Was a USSF Grade 5 Referee before joining the Air Force.

We call it soccer because we have another kind of "football."

akiboy said:

I love watching soccer. My friend has season tickets to the Fire! We go as oftern as possible. My kids grew up playing in AYSO.

images7ig1.jpg

Kathianne said:
I love watching soccer. My friend has season tickets to the Fire! We go as oftern as possible. My kids grew up playing in AYSO.

images7ig1.jpg

American Youth Soccer Organization....got my start as a player, referee and coach there.

Excellent group!

GotZoom said:
American Youth Soccer Organization....got my start as a player, referee and coach there.

Excellent group!
Yep. I loved their 'parent's behavior manual', dang thing was like 20 pages telling parents to act like parents, not monsters! :teeth:

Great coaching and support.

We're a soccer family. My husband is president of the local youth soccer assoc. and coaches 3 teams. It's a great sport. But, I think we would probably pick the SuperBowl tickets.

Soccer? Come on now. Soccer is agood game to get kids into athletics. ITs simple to play and is very inexpensive. IT requires very little skill to be good at despite what people say. Just have to be able to run for long periods of time without getting winded.

Football is loved here in America because its a game of physical chess between 2 teams. Each team trys to match up and stop the other teams attack. Each play matters to the outcome of the game.

Plus you cant really like a sport that gives penalties for knocking someone to the ground. Soccer equals wussiest sport ever.

And for those that are interested, i played soccer for 6 years. Once i hit high school though, i joined the FOOTBALL team.

insein said:
IT requires very little skill to be good at despite what people say.
Incorrect.
insein said:
Plus you cant really like a sport that gives penalties for knocking someone to the ground. Soccer equals wussiest sport ever.
Correct and incorrect. There are definitely wussier sports.

Watch Soccer? :rotflmao: Yer kidding, right? Tis the same as "Kick-ball" in grade school. IMO IT'S :lame2: as a pro sport..must be why it just hasn't caught on here, god knows they've been trying since about 1967.
40 years and it hasn't happened yet.

Mr. P said:
Watch Soccer? :rotflmao: Yer kidding, right? Tis the same as "Kick-ball" in grade school. IMO IT'S :lame2: as a pro sport..must be why it just hasn't caught on here, god knows they've been trying since about 1967.
40 years and it hasn't happened yet.

OK..right.

Soccer, in one form or another, has been around for 3000 years.

The United States is ranked 5th in the world rankings.

1994 World Cup which was held in the United States had an attendance of
3,587,538 over 52 matches (average of 68,991 per match).

The NFL averaged 66,409 for their 2004 season. And how many games do they plan in a normal season? No where near 52.

No worries though.

People don't have to agree.

GotZoom said:
OK..right.

Soccer, in one form or another, has been around for 3000 years.

The United States is ranked 5th in the world rankings.

1994 World Cup which was held in the United States had an attendance of
3,587,538 over 52 matches (average of 68,991 per match).

The NFL averaged 66,409 for their 2004 season. And how many games do they plan in a normal season? No where near 52.

No worries though.

People don't have to agree.
You can't equate an NFL season to a World Cup. At least be honest with your statistics. :poke:

The ClayTaurus said:
You can't equate an NFL season to a World Cup. At least be honest with your statistics. :poke:

Why not?

Football is the most popular (or close to the most popular) in the United States.

Football season lasts how many months?

The World Cup lasted 2 months and averaged more people in those two months than ANY NFL season.

That shows the popularity of soccer in the United States.

Yes..world quality soccer - national teams, etc. But..people still went.

Give any of them a choice of a World Cup Final or a Super Bowl Game and they would be probably be watching soccer.

GotZoom said:
Why not?

Football is the most popular (or close to the most popular) in the United States.

Football season lasts how many months?

The World Cup lasted 2 months and averaged more people in those two months than ANY NFL season.

That shows the popularity of soccer in the United States.

Yes..world quality soccer - national teams, etc. But..people still went.

Give any of them a choice of a World Cup match or a Super Bowl match and they would be watching soccer.
Is the World Cup annually held in the United States? How about comparing the number of foreign tourists travelling to see the games? It's not an honest comparison. Sorry.

akiboy said:

Responding to the P.S. first: By todays game, you are right. What we call soccer should logically be called football. I think it's because soccer didn't catch on here at all until probably the 1970s. By that time American football had been around more than half a century, so somebody came up with a different name. Not sure where the name soccer comes from, though.

I think it's hard for other sports to find a place in the United States. The thing about baseball, football, and basketball is kids today have grown up with it, people my age have grown up with it, our parents grew up with it, etc. They were established long ago, while sports like soccer are still relatively new, historically speaking. That's why hockey has never really taken off here, though it is generally recognized as a major sport. When I was a kid, it was a "Canadian sport". They have teams all over the U.S. now, but there still isn't the tradition of it in places south of Detriot or Chicago.

Forum List

Back