How long with republicans play chicken with our economy?

5%

Only 95% to go. Can we look at current military spending NOW?

Social spending is a hell of a lot more than 5 percent.

While that may be true, military spending still far outweighs social spending...
Somehow I find looking it up so much easier than fighting over made up numbers.
budgfunc.png

A long time ago defense was big but now according to Obama's exec br. it's only 20% vs. 'human resources' @ 70%.

Voters may have elected a Republican House to bring down spending, but they certainly didn’t elect them to create a financial crisis that would trigger another recession.

The Republican controlled House will be held responsible by voters for any financial crisis resulting from the Republican plan to force spending cuts by not increasing the debt limit. House Republicans have far more to lose than the Democrats in this high-staked game of chicken. This is why Senate Democrats are not making any meaningful concessions to the House. If House Republicans don’t carry back to their constituents some meaningful concessions from Democrats, they aren’t going to be very happy but if the Republicans stand their ground and that results in a financial crises, nobody is going to be happy with them. Democrats are not under such pressure.

If Congress does not approve raising the debt limit, then the administration will have a free hand in determining where the money is to be spent. They can decide which programs get money, which contracts are paid, and which states get funds. Congress will in effect, be assigning to the administration their duty of determining how taxpayer money is to be spent.

So you have two sides bumping heads but only one side is at fault?

I don't think so, my votes will all be anti-incumbent.

And the last congress (you remember the one where both houses and the white house were democrat controlled) never even bothered to make a budget at all.
The Democrats from the get go, were willing and are willing now to extend the debt limit. It is the Republicans that are saying no and putting conditions on the bill. If Republicans stand fast and this leads to a financial crisis and triggers a recession, voters are not going give a damn about the Republican's plan to cut spending.

With Democrats having little reason to give in to House Republicans, having more immediate concerns about a second recession than the deficit and House Republicans committed to major spending cuts, it is unlikely that there will be a resolution before the Aug 2nd deadline. When bond market investors realized there could be a default in treasuries and stock market investors started looking at what pulling hundreds of billion out the economy over the next six months will do to the recovery, security markets will fall like a rock and Wall Street Republicans will be all over House Republicans like flies on shit. House Republicans will have to back down eventually. The question is what concessions will Senate Democrats offer to speed up the process and avoid a possible financial meltdown.

So you don't think we should stop spending money that isn't there? I'm sorry, but raising the debt limit is not reigning in spending. It is nothing more than spending more. Raise taxes? Why? So they can spend even more? NO!

With everything that is going on in the world I find it hard to believe that people are still calling for cutting the military first.

Which language do you folks suggest we start studying?

I am begining to believe the republican will vote to default on our debt.

The plan seems to be some more disaster capitalism.

The recent mess they made of the worlds economy seems to be just round one.

So you have two sides bumping heads but only one side is at fault?

I don't think so, my votes will all be anti-incumbent.

And the last congress (you remember the one where both houses and the white house were democrat controlled) never even bothered to make a budget at all.
The Democrats from the get go, were willing and are willing now to extend the debt limit. It is the Republicans that are saying no and putting conditions on the bill. If Republicans stand fast and this leads to a financial crisis and triggers a recession, voters are not going give a damn about the Republican's plan to cut spending.

With Democrats having little reason to give in to House Republicans, having more immediate concerns about a second recession than the deficit and House Republicans committed to major spending cuts, it is unlikely that there will be a resolution before the Aug 2nd deadline. When bond market investors realized there could be a default in treasuries and stock market investors started looking at what pulling hundreds of billion out the economy over the next six months will do to the recovery, security markets will fall like a rock and Wall Street Republicans will be all over House Republicans like flies on shit. House Republicans will have to back down eventually. The question is what concessions will Senate Democrats offer to speed up the process and avoid a possible financial meltdown.

Of course the Democrats want an increase they do NOT want any cuts. ANd that is the problem, when presented with a measly 60 billion NON cut cuts they refused. Now with a need for real cuts they continue to refuse demanding instead more spending. And the President? Read what he has requested as his budget.
You don’t control spending by refusing to honor your financial commitments. Would you reduce your spending by not paying your mortgage? The way to control spending is through the budget process. If the budget process doesn’t works, we need to change it; for example a constitutional amendment that would require a balanced budget. Every state except Vermont has this requirement. Such an amendment to be phased in over a number of years with provisions for emergency funding would solve the problem.

Attempting to make huge cuts in spending this year would drive the country into another recession. Spending cuts should be phased in over a number of years. Large budget cuts at this time would drive the country into another recession. With the 2012 elections just around the corner, there is nothing the Republican leadership would like better, however I doubt the voters feel the same way.

Social spending is a hell of a lot more than 5 percent.

While that may be true, military spending still far outweighs social spending...
budgfunc.png

A long time ago defense was big but now according to Obama's exec br. it's only 20% vs. 'human resources' @ 70%.

The Link Below said:
Pentagon spending in February, the most recent month available, was $6.7 billion in Afghanistan compared with $5.5 billion in Iraq.

Afghan war costs now outpace Iraq's - USATODAY.com

$12 Billion a month blowing shit up in Afghanistan & Iraq. That's a LOT of milk & cookies.

But it doesn't matter - I'm not here to 'defend' what the democrats are spending on welfare, I'm here to implore the republicans to be reasonable about cutting military spending and getting down to business about addressing the patently unfair tax code we live under. I'll implore the democrats to return to PAYGO with regards to their spending habits too, but not in this thread... This thread is to discuss the stone-walling republicans.

I hold the republicans responsible. I believe that they, as a party, would prefer to see the economy fall apart before the next election. I accuse the republican leadership of treason.

Last edited:
It's beginning to look like they are going to cut the military and raise taxes [plug up loopholes, as they say] to get a deal. Will that make it through the Republican House?

budgfunc.png

The Link Below said:
Pentagon spending in February, the most recent month available, was $6.7 billion in Afghanistan compared with $5.5 billion in Iraq.

$12 Billion a month blowing shit up in Afghanistan & Iraq. That's a LOT of milk & cookies.

But it doesn't matter - I'm not here to 'defend' what the democrats are spending on welfare, I'm here to implore the republicans to be reasonable about cutting military spending and getting down to business about addressing the patently unfair tax code we live under. I'll implore the democrats to return to PAYGO with regards to their spending habits too, but not in this thread... This thread is to discuss the stone-walling republicans.

I hold the republicans responsible. I believe that they, as a party, would prefer to see the economy fall apart before the next election. I accuse the republican leadership of treason.

gates said in his farewell tour after the cuts that have been enacted, even a further 10% cut can be very very very difficult and catastrophic......between 1985 and 1998, the total number of US troops fell by 700,000, the number of civilian employees by 300,000.......we have canceled 3 of 5 new aircraft carriers raped the F22 prgm. and are cutting 50K men. and, the 120 Billion a year for iraq and afghan. is shrinking while we speak.....

Even IF, they took another 50 billion a year from the DOD, (outside ME funding, the DOD 2012 budget is 553 Billion) to 500 billion a year, then what? Thats not where the money is ...hello....now,its time for the dems to pitch in. Entitlements yo', thats where the money is.

budgfunc.png

The Link Below said:

We have 2 conditions. One is the Republicans demanding cuts as the PEOPLE elected them to do. The other is the Democrats absolutely REFUSING to make any cuts and DEMANDING taxes be raised ALONG with spending increases.

And you want to pretend the problem is somehow just the Republicans.

Once again for the SLOW AND STUPID. The Democrats REFUSE to agree to any budget bills from the House. they simple refuse to bring them to the floor of the Senate or even a committee. The Democrats REFUSE to make any cuts. Demanding in negotiations for CUTS more spending. Demanding that before they will talk about anything more spending and more taxes.

And you blame the Republicans. You sir are a FUCKING RETARD.

I don't like cutting the military, it always seems to be more of a gutting.

If weren't spending our hearts desire blowing shit up overseas, would you still want the budget the same?

I can appreciate the loyalty of a company man, but come on, Sarge... $12 Billion a month? Seriously?

If weren't spending our hearts desire blowing shit up overseas, would you still want the budget the same?

I can appreciate the loyalty of a company man, but come on, Sarge... $12 Billion a month? Seriously?

We do not need to gut the military to save money. But watch and see, the wars will end and troop strength will be cut; again. Programs have already been gutted, programs that would keep us ahead of everyone else.

Retirees have already been notified that they are looking at upping our medical costs. What part of a fixed income do they forget about? There's talk about raising Tricare fees and linking that to the cost of living allowance. You know the one we haven't had raise in 2 years, while food prices went up. They are also talking about raising our prescription co-pays, in fact i think they already decided on a date for that one. I remember when I was a young dumb troop, free medical and dental for life....just do 20 years..... BS... When congress talks money it is the military that always seems to take the brunt, And thought it's probably not true it seems like retirees take alot of it.

So cut the military, with North Korea and Iran playing games, and China building their military up? No, I don't think so.

budgfunc.png

The Link Below said:

gates said in his farewell tour after the cuts that have been enacted, even a further 10% cut can be very very very difficult and catastrophic......between 1985 and 1998, the total number of US troops fell by 700,000, the number of civilian employees by 300,000.......we have canceled 3 of 5 new aircraft carriers raped the F22 prgm. and are cutting 50K men. and, the 120 Billion a year for iraq and afghan. is shrinking while we speak.....

Even IF, they took another 50 billion a year from the DOD, (outside ME funding, the DOD 2012 budget is 553 Billion) to 500 billion a year, then what? Thats not where the money is ...hello....now,its time for the dems to pitch in. Entitlements yo', thats where the money is.

Entitlements do not include Social Security. I've paid 15% of every pay check into that retirement account, separate and in addition to federal income tax. Short of a total melt-down, I expect a return on that investment.

That being said, I implore the democrats to practice PAYGO - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and scrap everything the lobbyists have written for themselves since PAYGO expired in 2003 and start over.

But this thread is about the republicans 'playing chicken' with our economy. I find the actions of the house leadership since January deliberately detrimental to the American economy for political reasons and therefore treasonous. Just my humble opinion, but it's how I'm going to apply my negative vote this next go around, both hanging at the water cooler and in the ballot box, all things being equal to today.

budgfunc.png

The Link Below said:

We have 2 conditions. One is the Republicans demanding cuts as the PEOPLE elected them to do. The other is the Democrats absolutely REFUSING to make any cuts and DEMANDING taxes be raised ALONG with spending increases.

And you want to pretend the problem is somehow just the Republicans.

Once again for the SLOW AND STUPID. The Democrats REFUSE to agree to any budget bills from the House. they simple refuse to bring them to the floor of the Senate or even a committee. The Democrats REFUSE to make any cuts. Demanding in negotiations for CUTS more spending. Demanding that before they will talk about anything more spending and more taxes.

And you blame the Republicans. You sir are a FUCKING RETARD.

Why do you have to make this personal, RGS? Obviously, I am not retarded.

The other thing... :dunno: eh, ya got me. Yes, I fuck.

And yes, I blame the republicans. They opened the budget & borrowing floodgates to the lobbyists in 2003 when PAYGO ended and then proceeded to use their minority position in congress as the party of 'no' to make certain every bill was simply stuffed with paperwork and pork. The democrats allowing it is the subject of another crime novel itself, but this thread is not about their incompetence, it's about the republican prayers and actions to see to it that America fails.

Last edited:

We do not need to gut the military to save money. But watch and see, the wars will end and troop strength will be cut; again. Programs have already been gutted, programs that would keep us ahead of everyone else.

Retirees have already been notified that they are looking at upping our medical costs. What part of a fixed income do they forget about? There's talk about raising Tricare fees and linking that to the cost of living allowance. You know the one we haven't had raise in 2 years, while food prices went up. They are also talking about raising our prescription co-pays, in fact i think they already decided on a date for that one. I remember when I was a young dumb troop, free medical and dental for life....just do 20 years..... BS... When congress talks money it is the military that always seems to take the brunt, And thought it's probably not true it seems like retirees take alot of it.

So cut the military, with North Korea and Iran playing games, and China building their military up? No, I don't think so.

Wait, you're talking about two different things. The Military Pension System is an entitlement program at least as worthy of support as is Social Security and Medicare.

If we quit blowing shit up overseas (not only paying for the ordinance to blow it up, but also the reconstruction costs) to the tune of $12 billion a month, don't you think we'll have a better shot at asking our neighbors to consider Tri-Care with the same compassionate eye they'll have on Medicare?

where is the Obama budget for year 2012.
what are his plans for deficit cuts?
what are the pans for the debt ceiling?

Damn good questions. I haven't heard a proposal that hasn't been shredded by one side or the other.

uhm his own side shredded his own 'plan' the fumble fingers gobbledygook of a budget he put forth was voted down in the senate....97-0, yes - zero.

Last edited:

Of course the Democrats want an increase they do NOT want any cuts. ANd that is the problem, when presented with a measly 60 billion NON cut cuts they refused. Now with a need for real cuts they continue to refuse demanding instead more spending. And the President? Read what he has requested as his budget.
You don’t control spending by refusing to honor your financial commitments. Would you reduce your spending by not paying your mortgage? The way to control spending is through the budget process. If the budget process doesn’t works, we need to change it; for example a constitutional amendment that would require a balanced budget. Every state except Vermont has this requirement. Such an amendment to be phased in over a number of years with provisions for emergency funding would solve the problem.

thats a smoke screen, we collect more than enough to pay the interest due on bonds debts etc. outstanding....

Attempting to make huge cuts in spending this year would drive the country into another recession. Spending cuts should be phased in over a number of years. Large budget cuts at this time would drive the country into another recession. With the 2012 elections just around the corner, there is nothing the Republican leadership would like better, however I doubt the voters feel the same way

uh huh, so stasis, we just continue to spend and borrow 3 Billion a DAY, and? so, if we just not borrow, we can save 80-90 billion a month? thats 1. trillion in a year, less than the 2 trillion the reps want , you on board?

and btw, please show me where the dems have agreed to cut ANYTHING, cowboy poerty doesn't count, they are defending EVERYTHING.....for a lousy 38 billion , it took 3 months and all hell to break loose....they have not done a budget since april of 09 .....balls in their court.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back