How liberal are public schools? This liberal.

No it isn't. Phys Ed is nothing more than a way to torture kids who are different and it should be outlawed. Only a masochist likes phys ed, and all gym teachers pass that test.

I don't give a flying fuck what Harvard requires. If a university that charges 60 grand a year has to force it's students to run around in a circle, then there is something very wrong with that place.

I have no idea what tuition is at Harvard. I pulled 60 grand out of my ass.

There is a bunch of good science that doing work outs regularly consistently and significantly improves you quality of life.
I was "different" too when I was a bit younger, do you know how much time it took me from beeing the "dude who gets picked last at soccer" to someone with an A-? About 7 months, and I didnt even train that hard.
Keep in mind that you do PE for yourself, not for you teachers, and you should do fine.

Simply put, there is nearly no situation where having a well trained body is disadventageous.

Yeah, except that PE in school accomplished nothing except making me avoid every activity that I even vaguely associated with it. To this day, I'd rather be tortured with red-hot pliers than have anything to do with organized sports in any way.

Well, if PE at school is not equivalent to regularly working out, than the way PE is thought at school should be changed.
In my opinion, PE should be composed of 2 parts. One parts should be a general "build up the body" thing, basically consisting of workouts, stretching and endurance training.
The second part should consist of a kids choice between many possible kinds of sports,
I think that both parts should be thought in an alternating fashion (if there are 2 PE hours per week, one of them will be Body training, the second one will be the "choice sport"). Ideally, the kids will see the benefits of improving the physical condition by achieving gradually better results in the sports part.

I do not object to the opinion that "forming the bodys of children" is not exactly one the constitutional duties of the state, it obviously isnt, but if the state does it anyway, it should at least do it in a sensibile and beneficial way.

P.S. I can assure you that, in Gymnastics, there are many ways to turn peeing into torture. My most "favorite" was jumping over that strangely shaped obstacle named "Bock" in german. After a countless number of failed attempts (Only discipline I failed, even in the Army -.-) I wisely choose to bring my trusty Martial Arts Deep Guard with me. While doing so did not increase my efficiency at jumping over (more precisly jumping into) solid objects, it certainly limited the damage dealt to a fairly important part of my body.
Gymnastics sucked for me, Judo and Rugby were very fun though.

There is a bunch of good science that doing work outs regularly consistently and significantly improves you quality of life.
I was "different" too when I was a bit younger, do you know how much time it took me from beeing the "dude who gets picked last at soccer" to someone with an A-? About 7 months, and I didnt even train that hard.
Keep in mind that you do PE for yourself, not for you teachers, and you should do fine.

Simply put, there is nearly no situation where having a well trained body is disadventageous.

Yeah, except that PE in school accomplished nothing except making me avoid every activity that I even vaguely associated with it. To this day, I'd rather be tortured with red-hot pliers than have anything to do with organized sports in any way.

Well, if PE at school is not equivalent to regularly working out, than the way PE is thought at school should be changed.
In my opinion, PE should be composed of 2 parts. One parts should be a general "build up the body" thing, basically consisting of workouts, stretching and endurance training.
The second part should consist of a kids choice between many possible kinds of sports,
I think that both parts should be thought in an alternating fashion (if there are 2 PE hours per week, one of them will be Body training, the second one will be the "choice sport"). Ideally, the kids will see the benefits of improving the physical condition by achieving gradually better results in the sports part.

I do not object to the opinion that "forming the bodys of children" is not exactly one the constitutional duties of the state, it obviously isnt, but if the state does it anyway, it should at least do it in a sensibile and beneficial way.

P.S. I can assure you that, in Gymnastics, there are many ways to turn peeing into torture. My most "favorite" was jumping over that strangely shaped obstacle named "Bock" in german. After a countless number of failed attempts (Only discipline I failed, even in the Army -.-) I wisely choose to bring my trusty Martial Arts Deep Guard with me. While doing so did not increase my efficiency at jumping over (more precisly jumping into) solid objects, it certainly limited the damage dealt to a fairly important part of my body.
Gymnastics sucked for me, Judo and Rugby were very fun though.

I wisely stopped taking PE as soon as I hit junior high. If I wanted to play sports, I'd have gone out for a team.

Since hell is typically a Christian concept, and it's a public school, I highly doubt that was the reason. Though of course I also wouldn't have expected a public school to officially have a moment of silence for gay pride, either. Contradictions abound, it seems.
I was pointing out the obvious contradictions by being facetious. Christianity is the only belief that can be banned and denigrated in our blatantly liberal public education system.

Awwwww boo-hoo. More of that idiotic "christian persecution" whining at its finest. I hate to break it to you (not really), but teaching RELIGIOUS doctrines belongs in churches and homes, not the government public school system. And that includes christianity as well.

A moment of silence!

Are you serious?

HOLY CRAP!!!

I CAN'T BELIEVE THEY ACTUALLY HAD A MOMENT OF SILENCE!

What a WASTE of a MOMENT!

I can think of ten things that moment could have been used for...a moment of learning, a moment of reading, a moment of study, a moment of taking your books out of your desk, a moment to pass notes, a moment to make spitballs, a moment to throw paper airplanes, a moment to doodle...

IT'S A FUCKING MOMENT!!!

But gym was horrible torture for me. ..... And gym was torture.

I think this is the attitude that Congress must understand when it decides on rules for interrogating terrorists. If there are people who think gym class is torture, and go on and on about it for days, then there is no satisfying them when it comes to interrogation rules. This view of reality is extreme and unreasonable, and should simply be ignored.

Long live JACK BAUER AND HIS METHODS. THEY WORK. To hell with sensitivity if it stops us from being safe as a country

A moment is one thing. I went to the most liberal high school in the United States of America. They had Gay Pride MONTH and Gay History MONTH. They even went so far during Gay Pride MONTH as to put up hundreds of pink triangles on the walls, each with a name of a famous person who was supposed to be gay. Sally Field, Arnold Schwarzenegger and Tom Selleck were on there and I am sure they didn't give their permission to spread such rumors. My high school was a literal liberal bacterial breeding ground. No school's classrooms were so off topic from required curriculum. I had homosexuality come up in English class, drama(of course), and even Geometry. I was ostracized as you might imagine for refusing to embrace their ideologies and particularly my history grade suffered because of it. I was graded poorly on an assignment because I refused to succumb to the idea that the civil rights movement was majorly motivated by gay activists.

It may sound like a whopper but it's as true as anything. You really have to live in the San Francisco Area to believe what I'm talking about.

A moment is one thing. I went to the most liberal high school in the United States of America. They had Gay Pride MONTH and Gay History MONTH.

My high school had "Be Gay for a Month". We were required to have gay sex with our lab partner for an entire month. They encouraged protection.

A moment is one thing. I went to the most liberal high school in the United States of America. They had Gay Pride MONTH and Gay History MONTH.

My high school had "Be Gay for a Month". We were required to have gay sex with our lab partner for an entire month. They encouraged protection.

Where was that school?:eek:

A young man of that era decides he doesn't believe in the war, and wants to be a conscientous objector. But he feels that would be embarassing to admit to in front of his friends and family, so off he goes to Viet Nam anyway. He eventually comes to the conclusion that it would have been "more courageous" to be an objector, than to actually fight and risk his life in Viet Nam.[/QUOTE]<<

As a teacher I think that is a wonderful way to get kids to see both sides and debate what "courage is" . What an interesting discussion it could be. or do you believe that school should not encourge critical thinking?
Do you use the term Liberal" with your child as you do here? Like a bad word? That is why your child needs to expand his/her mind and not listen to a parent who sterotypes like you do

A young man of that era decides he doesn't believe in the war, and wants to be a conscientous objector. But he feels that would be embarassing to admit to in front of his friends and family, so off he goes to Viet Nam anyway. He eventually comes to the conclusion that it would have been "more courageous" to be an objector, than to actually fight and risk his life in Viet Nam.
<<

As a teacher I think that is a wonderful way to get kids to see both sides and debate what "courage is" . What an interesting discussion it could be. or do you believe that school should not encourge critical thinking?
Do you use the term Liberal" with your child as you do here? Like a bad word? That is why your child needs to expand his/her mind and not listen to a parent who sterotypes like you do [/QUOTE]

Let me ask you something, "Teach". Do you really believe that the teacher assigned this story with a view to starting a frank, open discussion of the topic that's equally welcoming to both sides? More importantly, don't you think it says something very pointed about what our public schools have become that no one else thinks so?

Of course, your line about what other people's children need and how they don't need to listen to their parents says it all right there. Do you really wonder why people are so hostile and untrusting of the public schools?

A young man of that era decides he doesn't believe in the war, and wants to be a conscientous objector. But he feels that would be embarassing to admit to in front of his friends and family, so off he goes to Viet Nam anyway. He eventually comes to the conclusion that it would have been "more courageous" to be an objector, than to actually fight and risk his life in Viet Nam.
<<

Do you use the term Liberal" with your child as you do here? Like a bad word? That is why your child needs to expand his/her mind and not listen to a parent who sterotypes like you do [/QUOTE]

Bullshit he doesn't believe in war there is no such thing as a conscientious objector just a person trying to have others row the boat while they get a ride...I know because I was in high school
in 1965 when allot of men were worried about going and were trying to come up with creative ways to beat going to Vietnam,many went to college to avoid the draft and when the war out lasted there college time they became teachers I know as many still were hanging out at the local watering hole when I got home from Vietnam
and several years later I visited the watering hole and they talked about this with me,and many of them hated being a teacher so pushed for all they could get from the teacher union and could care less about the kids education...I submit that the real harm that the Vietnam war caused is the influx of draft dodging teachers who could care less about teaching our youth. This attitude still exists in schools today( oh I know your not like that well I'll grant you some care more than others) Reading writing and arithmetic first, thinking is to be left to parents..Incidently my Grandchildren go to private school no way I'll subject them to the Draft Dodgier type of mentality that todays schools have. On a personal note teach
learn how to use spell check your not as smart as you think.

As a teacher I think that is a wonderful way to get kids to see both sides and debate what "courage is" . What an interesting discussion it could be. or do you believe that school should not encourge critical thinking? Do you use the term Liberal" with your child as you do here? Like a bad word? That is why your child needs to expand his/her mind and not listen to a parent who sterotypes like you do [/quote]

Let me ask you something, "Teach". Do you really believe that the teacher assigned this story with a view to starting a frank, open discussion of the topic that's equally welcoming to both sides?

Maybe.
You figure that is impossible?

More importantly, don't you think it says something very pointed about what our public schools have become that no one else thinks so?

Nope. Right-Wing creeps have been whining about schools for leaning close to a century now.

Of course, your line about what other people's children need and how they don't need to listen to their parents says it all right there.

Sometimes it means that a lot of kid's parents are full of shit.

Do you really wonder why people are so hostile and untrusting of the public schools?

I haven't met that public. All the parents I ever meet are supportive.
I think a lot of you guys are just a myth created to keep teachers jumping.

I very little attention to it myself.

As a teacher I think that is a wonderful way to get kids to see both sides and debate what "courage is" . What an interesting discussion it could be. or do you believe that school should not encourge critical thinking? Do you use the term Liberal" with your child as you do here? Like a bad word? That is why your child needs to expand his/her mind and not listen to a parent who sterotypes like you do

Let me ask you something, "Teach". Do you really believe that the teacher assigned this story with a view to starting a frank, open discussion of the topic that's equally welcoming to both sides?

Maybe.
[/QUOTE]

Impossible? No. But my winning the Powerball jackpot isn't technically impossible, either.

More importantly, don't you think it says something very pointed about what our public schools have become that no one else thinks so?

Nope. Right-Wing creeps have been whining about schools for leaning close to a century now.

Right-wing creeps? I don't see ANYONE except "Teach" suggesting that there wasn't an agenda here, and even "Teach" couldn't sustain that fantasy for more than a paragraph before giving the game away.

Of course, your line about what other people's children need and how they don't need to listen to their parents says it all right there.

It ALWAYS means that liberals think they know how to raise other people's children for them, and thati it's their job to do so.

Do you really wonder why people are so hostile and untrusting of the public schools?

First of all, Mensa Boy, I didn't say "the public". I said "people are hostile to PUBLIC schools". Second, if you don't know of any such people, then that just goes to show you how insular and out-of-touch leftists really are. "I don't see how Nixon could have won. No one I know voted for him." That historical quote says it all, really.

And no, Brain Trust. I'm not a myth. Myths don't type on message boards. :cuckoo:

To what? Basic English? I can see that. And the next time you respond to one of my posts - particularly one that was addressing someone else - with this childish shouting, you'll be on ignore like any other badly-behaved child.

As a teacher I think that is a wonderful way to get kids to see both sides and debate what "courage is" . What an interesting discussion it could be. or do you believe that school should not encourge critical thinking? Do you use the term Liberal" with your child as you do here? Like a bad word? That is why your child needs to expand his/her mind and not listen to a parent who sterotypes like you do

Maybe.

Impossible? No. But my winning the Powerball jackpot isn't technically impossible, either.

Right-wing creeps? I don't see ANYONE except "Teach" suggesting that there wasn't an agenda here, and even "Teach" couldn't sustain that fantasy for more than a paragraph before giving the game away.

It ALWAYS means that liberals think they know how to raise other people's children for them, and thati it's their job to do so.

First of all, Mensa Boy, I didn't say "the public". I said "people are hostile to PUBLIC schools". Second, if you don't know of any such people, then that just goes to show you how insular and out-of-touch leftists really are. "I don't see how Nixon could have won. No one I know voted for him." That historical quote says it all, really.

And no, Brain Trust. I'm not a myth. Myths don't type on message boards. :cuckoo:

To what? Basic English? I can see that. And the next time you respond to one of my posts - particularly one that was addressing someone else - with this childish shouting, you'll be on ignore like any other badly-behaved child.[/QUOTE]

Bullshit he doesn't believe in war there is no such thing as a conscientious objector just a person trying to have others row the boat while they get a ride...I know because I was in high school
in 1965 when allot of men were worried about going and were trying to come up with creative ways to beat going to Vietnam,many went to college to avoid the draft and when the war out lasted there college time they became teachers I know as many still were hanging out at the local watering hole when I got home from Vietnam
and several years later I visited the watering hole and they talked about this with me,and many of them hated being a teacher so pushed for all they could get from the teacher union and could care less about the kids education...I submit that the real harm that the Vietnam war caused is the influx of draft dodging teachers who could care less about teaching our youth. This attitude still exists in schools today( oh I know your not like that well I'll grant you some care more than others) Reading writing and arithmetic first, thinking is to be left to parents..Incidently my Grandchildren go to private school no way I'll subject them to the Draft Dodgier type of mentality that todays schools have. On a personal note teach
learn how to use spell check your not as smart as you think.

Today, my daughter came home from school (10th grade, public) and told me about two things that happened recently. Gee, do ya think that liberal social views are being made part of her education? It's not just transsexuals in NY schools, folks.

First, the school recently observed a moment of silence "in honor of gay pride". This non-educational activity was part of the morning announcements.

When my school did it, it was completely optional, and the school didn't even mention it. A good chunk of the students were silent that day. I thought it was a dumb way to protest so I never joined.

Second, when we discusssed her classes (which we do every day), she told me that they read and discussed a short story in English class about Viet Nam. Okay so far, so good, on that one, but here's the gist of the story:

I know what book you're talking about, and that part is only one small part of it. The majority of the book is on his experiences in Vietnam. There's a part where he talks about how 'war is hell' isn't always accurate. My school also had other stuff on Vietnam as well but they showed us that stuff after the book was finished(including Full Metal Jacket, and seeing the drill sergeant swear so explicitly was really funny).

Last edited:
Today, my daughter came home from school (10th grade, public) and told me about two things that happened recently. Gee, do ya think that liberal social views are being made part of her education? It's not just transsexuals in NY schools, folks.

First, the school recently observed a moment of silence "in honor of gay pride". This non-educational activity was part of the morning announcements.

Second, when we discusssed her classes (which we do every day), she told me that they read and discussed a short story in English class about Viet Nam. Okay so far, so good, on that one, but here's the gist of the story:

Why do you assume those who are NOT liberal somehow are prejudiced war-mongers? Not fair. As for your examples, following the crowd is less courageous than standing up alone to buck the trend (socially anyhow) and the transsexual or gay pride thing, why would one need to be liberal to have a moment of silence for any persecuted group?

Why do you assume those who are NOT liberal somehow are prejudiced war-mongers? Not fair. As for your examples, following the crowd is less courageous than standing up alone to buck the trend (socially anyhow) and the transsexual or gay pride thing, why would one need to be liberal to have a moment of silence for any persecuted group?

One would need to be liberal to use the public schools to impose it on other people's children. Besides, conservatives tend not to waste time and energy with meaningless, empty gestures.

One would need to be liberal to use the public schools to impose it on other people's children. Besides, conservatives tend not to waste time and energy with meaningless, empty gestures.

So all those people whining about school's not being allowed to force kids to pray are liberals? Who would've known.

Forum List

Back