How liberal are public schools? This liberal.

I agree. Except I'd say "learning and nothing else".

Phys Ed should be outlawed.

And every gym teacher should be sentenced to every Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday from 1:20 to 2:35 in Hell.

Phys Ed is an extremely important part of the education process. We are not minds in tanks of broth. It has been known for some time that a fit body sharpens the mind. If anything I think we spend too little effort of phys ed.

Are you aware that Harvard U. requires all freshmen to participate in some form of athletics?

Since hell is typically a Christian concept, and it's a public school, I highly doubt that was the reason. Though of course I also wouldn't have expected a public school to officially have a moment of silence for gay pride, either. Contradictions abound, it seems.
I was pointing out the obvious contradictions by being facetious. Christianity is the only belief that can be banned and denigrated in our blatantly liberal public education system.

I'm all for Day of Silence stuff, but there is little reason in my mind as to why you would announce it in the morning announcements / create a 'moment of silence,' especially in a public school. DoS is supposed to be a personal thing that the kids participate in because they want to, not because its a school activity.

And in regards to the VN story... I don't really see what is wrong with reading it; I'm sure there will be a student who wants to talk about 'both sides of the story.' Now if the teacher just ignored the 'other side' and wouldn't let students talk about it, then that's obviously biased against 'the other side.' But the simple act of reading a book in an English class that details a certain aspect of a Vietnam vet's service doesn't raise any red flags in my mind, no matter the book's content.

The point is, only one, biased point of view was taught as the "official history." History is supposed to be fact-based, not one person's internal struggle and opinion of war.

Since hell is typically a Christian concept, and it's a public school, I highly doubt that was the reason. Though of course I also wouldn't have expected a public school to officially have a moment of silence for gay pride, either. Contradictions abound, it seems.

Hel and the concept thereof is actually Nordic in origin.

I was pointing out the obvious contradictions by being facetious. Christianity is the only belief that can be banned and denigrated in our blatantly liberal public education system.

Sorry, I missed the sarcasm there.

The point is, only one, biased point of view was taught as the "official history." History is supposed to be fact-based, not one person's internal struggle and opinion of war.

Except it wasn't a History class, it was an English class. If you want to learn History you should take a History class, not an English class.

Hel and the concept thereof is actually Nordic in origin.

This is true. That's why I had the 'typically' adverb attached.

Today, my daughter came home from school (10th grade, public) and told me about two things that happened recently. Gee, do ya think that liberal social views are being made part of her education? It's not just transsexuals in NY schools, folks.

First, the school recently observed a moment of silence "in honor of gay pride". This non-educational activity was part of the morning announcements.

Second, when we discusssed her classes (which we do every day), she told me that they read and discussed a short story in English class about Viet Nam. Okay so far, so good, on that one, but here's the gist of the story:

A young man of that era decides he doesn't believe in the war, and wants to be a conscientous objector. But he feels that would be embarassing to admit to in front of his friends and family, so off he goes to Viet Nam anyway. He eventually comes to the conclusion that it would have been "more courageous" to be an objector, than to actually fight and risk his life in Viet Nam.

Do students have to attend this school during Christmas or Easter? I think that each day should start the day with a brief moment of silence regardless of the occasion.

As for the discussion about the ethics of being a conscious objector and being true to yourself, I think that students in the 10th grade should be encouraged in the practice of philosophical thought and discussion.

Do students have to attend this school during Christmas or Easter? I think that each day should start the day with a brief moment of silence regardless of the occasion.
and the educational rationale for that is what?
As for the discussion about the ethics of being a conscious objector and being true to yourself, I think that students in the 10th grade should be encouraged in the practice of philosophical thought and discussion.
and this is to be taught in what 'required' classes? Not required? In morning announcements?

Phys Ed is an extremely important part of the education process. We are not minds in tanks of broth. It has been known for some time that a fit body sharpens the mind. If anything I think we spend too little effort of phys ed.

Are you aware that Harvard U. requires all freshmen to participate in some form of athletics?

No it isn't. Phys Ed is nothing more than a way to torture kids who are different and it should be outlawed. Only a masochist likes phys ed, and all gym teachers pass that test.

I don't give a flying fuck what Harvard requires. If a university that charges 60 grand a year has to force it's students to run around in a circle, then there is something very wrong with that place.

I have no idea what tuition is at Harvard. I pulled 60 grand out of my ass.

No it isn't. Phys Ed is nothing more than a way to torture kids who are different and it should be outlawed. Only a masochist likes phys ed, and all gym teachers pass that test.

I don't give a flying fuck what Harvard requires. If a university that charges 60 grand a year has to force it's students to run around in a circle, then there is something very wrong with that place.

BS. There is nothing masochistic about PE, nor enjoying it. I would suspect by your post that you probably either have two left feet, or were/are deeply affected by someone who does.

I think there is something wrong when someone can't be even basically physically fit.

BS. There is nothing masochistic about PE, nor enjoying it. I would suspect by your post that you probably either have two left feet, or were/are deeply affected by someone who does.

I think there is something wrong when someone can't be even basically physically fit.

PE is not about being physically fit. It's about humiliating kids. I know this will come as a shock to many, many people, but school is not the be all and end all of a kids life.

Or at least it wasn't when I was growing up. We actually did stuff outside of school.

Gym should be outlawed. And no, I was never one of "those" kids who the sadist gym teachers always targeted. But I dreaded every minute leading up to gym class and every minute spent in gym class.

I bet if you asked 10 people, 9 of them would say their worst memories of school all took place in gym.

PE is not about being physically fit. It's about humiliating kids. I know this will come as a shock to many, many people, but school is not the be all and end all of a kids life.

Or at least it wasn't when I was growing up. We actually did stuff outside of school.

Gym should be outlawed. And no, I was never one of "those" kids who the sadist gym teachers always targeted. But I dreaded every minute leading up to gym class and every minute spent in gym class.

I bet if you asked 10 people, 9 of them would say their worst memories of school all took place in gym.

I think you are presuming to speak for far more people than your POV represents. The only kids I knew that hated gym were clods.

I don't know where you went to school, but it was about physical activity/games/sports when I went to school, and as a service brat, I went to many, all over the country.

I've been a gym rat and athlete all my life and I can't say as I ever experienced the "horror of PE" as you describe it. It was about having fun and doing something physically active which beat sitting in a classroom all to Hell.

Stating that it should be outlawed is about as extreme as it gets.

I think you are presuming to speak for far more people than your POV represents. The only kids I knew that hated gym were clods.

I don't know where you went to school, but it was about physical activity/games/sports when I went to school, and as a service brat, I went to many, all over the country.

I've been a gym rat and athlete all my life and I can't say as I ever experienced the "horror of PE" as you describe it. It was about having fun and doing something physically active which beat sitting in a classroom all to Hell.

Stating that it should be outlawed is about as extreme as it gets.

Good for you.

You never picked on any kid? I'm impressed.

Wearing shorts is humiliating for some kids. Wearing short sleeves is humiliating for some kids. Can you, maybe, understand that?

You wanna know what I had to wear in 7th grade gym? A one piece uniform that had elastic around the short sleeves and the thighs. It was red and had an elastic waste and it snapped. It had snaps.

Kids are allowed to wear sweat pants these days, so that's an improvement. But not by much. Gym is torture for too many kids.

It should not only be outlawed, but every gym teacher should be in jail for child abuse.

I know, I have issues when it comes to gym. :chillpill

Good for you.

Wearing shorts is humiliating for some kids. Wearing short sleeves is humiliating for some kids. Can you, maybe, understand that?

You wanna know what I had to wear in 7th grade gym? A one piece uniform that had elastic around the short sleeves and the thighs. It was red and had an elastic waste and it snapped. It had snaps.

Kids are allowed to wear sweat pants these days, so that's an improvement. But not by much. Gym is torture for too many kids.

It should not only be outlawed, but every gym teacher should be in jail for child abuse.

Wow..... a bit extreme. I can't say I ever liked tossing a basketball around, but I certainly didn't mind gym and I don't recall any phys ed teacher I ever had being abusive. And when I got older (middle school, high school), I took gymnastics and dance as my gyms... loved my teachers and had a great time.

You musta had a rough time.... sorry.

Oh.... and to add my two cents to the initial thoughts on this thread, I don't think it was appropriate for a public school to have a moment of silence for gay rights. While I don't see anything wrong with teaching tolerance as a general value, I think the specifics of that need to be left to the parents. It didn't sit well with me when I first read the thread, and I've been considering how I felt about it.... I think they overstepped.

Good for you.

Why would I want to do that? It is my lot in life and always has been to be a "sheepdog." I protect the sheep ... I don't prey on them.

I can accept that it happens but cannot understand it. Seems a little too thin-skinned to me.

I remember those. All the girls had them. We had baggy white shorts and Fruit of the Loom T-shirts and Chuck Taylor sneakers. I didn't think anything of it.

Again, I think you presume much based your self-consciousness over a tacky outfit. Gym is torture for the one or two exceptions per class who fit into the picture youhave painted. Everyone else likes it. It's a break from sitting behidn a desk.

You'd die wearing sweats around here except during winter. Except for winter, we wore shorts and short sleeve shirts and tank tops whenever we could get home anyway. We wore long clothing only when we had to.

Ummmm yeah, I'd say.

Ummmm yeah, I'd say.

School should be for learning.

I was never the target. But I saw enough. I saw what the fat kids and the unpopular kids had to go through.

I was one of the invisible kids. I blended into the back ground. Never caused trouble, never got in trouble, I was basically never noticed at all.

But gym was horrible torture for me. I can't even imagine how bad is must have been for the kids who were the targets. Not just from the other kids who took gym class as an excuse to target them, but from the gym teachers who seemed to revel in humiliating kids.

I'm not exaggerating and I can't be the only one. I was an average kid, in an average city, on an average day. And gym was torture.

ahhhhhhh gym class....i remember the dude that was hung to his knee pull a bonnner in the shower.....:eek: :eek: :eek:

School should be for learning.

I was never the target. But I saw enough. I saw what the fat kids and the unpopular kids had to go through.

I was one of the invisible kids. I blended into the back ground. Never caused trouble, never got in trouble, I was basically never noticed at all.

But gym was horrible torture for me. I can't even imagine how bad is must have been for the kids who were the targets. Not just from the other kids who took gym class as an excuse to target them, but from the gym teachers who seemed to revel in humiliating kids.

I'm not exaggerating and I can't be the only one. I was an average kid, in an average city, on an average day. And gym was torture.

Gym class is learning. Education is supposed to be well-rounded, not just the three r's. In a lot of cases, it could be the only real pgysical activity latchkey children get.

It sounds like your experience was anything but average, and for all the schools I went to, I never really experienced anything like that. Gym teachers were no more apt to humiliate non-athletic kids than classroom teachers were slow or dumb kids. There's always that 10% of assholes. Throwing out the 90% that are good is NOT a viable solution.

Even MIT makes all of its nerds take like 4 PE classes and pass a swim test to make sure everyone can swim.

Harvard charges around 45k a year, and there is something to being mentally and physically fit. But I'm with you on high school gym teachers; most of them are worthless. While we were supposed to be working out in high school I remember our class digging that baseball infield out of the soccer field. You seem to be more against the stupid things gym teachers make you do like dress out rather than the excersize that you have to do.

Gym class is learning. Education is supposed to be well-rounded, not just the three r's. In a lot of cases, it could be the only real pgysical activity latchkey children get.

It sounds like your experience was anything but average, and for all the schools I went to, I never really experienced anything like that. Gym teachers were no more apt to humiliate non-athletic kids than classroom teachers were slow or dumb kids. There's always that 10% of assholes. Throwing out the 90% that are good is NOT a viable solution.

You're wrong. My experience was probaly better than average.

Latch key kids are none of the schools business. Anything outside of school is none of the schools business.

Forum List

Back