How liberal are public schools? This liberal.

Today, my daughter came home from school (10th grade, public) and told me about two things that happened recently.
First, the school recently observed a moment of silence "in honor of gay pride". This non-educational activity was part of the morning announcements.

I think that is a made up story. I'm calling BS on it.

I teach in a public school. Granted, it's elementary, but I can say this: I NEVER inject my own personal opinion into political conversations.

I am honest, however, and that is often perceived as liberal.

Why do you assume those who are NOT liberal somehow are prejudiced war-mongers? Not fair. As for your examples, following the crowd is less courageous than standing up alone to buck the trend (socially anyhow) and the transsexual or gay pride thing, why would one need to be liberal to have a moment of silence for any persecuted group?

One would need to be liberal to use the public schools to impose it on other people's children. Besides, conservatives tend not to waste time and energy with meaningless, empty gestures.

So all those people whining about school's not being allowed to force kids to pray are liberals? Who would've known.

It's very telling that you consider allowing people to practice their religions as they see fit - you know, exercising their Constitutional rights - as an "empty, meaningless gesture".

One would need to be liberal to use the public schools to impose it on other people's children. Besides, conservatives tend not to waste time and energy with meaningless, empty gestures.

So all those people whining about school's not being allowed to force kids to pray are liberals? Who would've known.

It's very telling that you consider allowing people to practice their religions as they see fit - you know, exercising their Constitutional rights - as an "empty, meaningless gesture".

Did you not read the word 'force' or do you not understand the difference between forcing people to pray in schools and letting people pray in schools?

Did you not read the word 'force' or do you not understand the difference between forcing people to pray in schools and letting people pray in schools?

Actually, I was ignoring it, because I figured even you weren't such a pig-stupid dumbass as to really believe anyone wanted to force kids to pray against their will, which meant you were just being a lying sack to be provocative, and I didn't want to encourage it.

I've actually met people who wanted mandatory prayer in school cecillie. True they're not vast in number but they do exist.

Ummmm yeah, I'd say.

School should be for learning.

I was never the target. But I saw enough. I saw what the fat kids and the unpopular kids had to go through.

I was one of the invisible kids. I blended into the back ground. Never caused trouble, never got in trouble, I was basically never noticed at all.

But gym was horrible torture for me. I can't even imagine how bad is must have been for the kids who were the targets. Not just from the other kids who took gym class as an excuse to target them, but from the gym teachers who seemed to revel in humiliating kids.

I'm not exaggerating and I can't be the only one. I was an average kid, in an average city, on an average day. And gym was torture.

Your gym teacher touched your "Naughty Place" huh???

Necritan, you have a liberal avatar.

Nobody would think it was conservative. Let me guess. You're one of those smokin' and drinkin' partying with girls kind of "conservative" who never attends church.

Most "conservatives" seem to fit that profile these days.

Look no further than Ann Coulter. When asked where she attended church, she shut down. Total fail.

If you're going to call yourself conservative, BE ONE.

BTW: I'm not really calling you out or anything. You don't have to respond. And I'm not really trying to highjack a thread. I just get tired of so-called conservatives who don't even live a conservative life. I don't know if that's you or not, but most conservatives I hang out with (and most my friends are conservative--I live in the deep South) don't have an avitar like that.

Just sayin'.

Last edited:
Necritan, you have a liberal avatar.

Nobody would think it was conservative. Let me guess. You're one of those smokin' and drinkin' partying with girls kind of "conservative" who never attends church.

Most "conservatives" seem to fit that profile these days.

Look no further than Ann Coulter. When asked where she attended church, she shut down. Total fail.

If you're going to call yourself conservative, BE ONE.

BTW: I'm not really calling you out or anything. You don't have to respond. And I'm not really trying to highjack a thread. I just get tired of so-called conservatives who don't even live a conservative life. I don't know if that's you or not, but most conservatives I hang out with (and most my friends are conservative--I live in the deep South) don't have an avitar like that.

Just sayin'.

Yeah, Necritan. If you're going to call yourself a conservative, then damn it, get your ass into your little pigeonhole and start living up to ItsFairmont's precoceived stereotypes RIGHT NOW! How DARE you be an individual, free-thinking human being!

Personally, I think Necritan's avatar is very conservative. If he were a liberal male, it would be a silhouette of a guy, carrying a purse.

But, of course, all liberals are the same.

You proved my point.

And, yes, there are parameters to being a conservative. The word does have meaning, afterall.

If you want to ignore traditional conservative values of faith, family, temperance, etc., then call yourself something else.

To be a conservative, one must live a conservative lifestyle.

To be a vegetarian, you must have a vegetarian diet.

Conservative means conservative.

But, of course, all liberals are the same.

You proved my point.

Sorry, but no. For one thing, you were never trying to make any points about stereotyping. You were just doing it. Second, unlike you, I was just expressing an unflattering opinion. I wasn't demanding that someone change their behavior to fit my unflattering opinion, like you were.

And, yes, there are parameters to being a conservative. The word does have meaning, afterall.

Those parameters apply to beliefs on a political spectrum. They don't apply to what kind of picture you like to use for your avatar.

If you want to ignore traditional conservative values of faith, family, temperance, etc., then call yourself something else.

I don't remember any definition, other than yours, that requires political conservatives to be teetotaling Ozzie and Harriet types. Last time I checked, the people at Nascar events aren't big into temperance and actually put pictures similar to Necritan's avatar on the mudflaps of their trucks, and they're also considered quite conservative politically.

To be a conservative, one must live a conservative lifestyle.

Screw you, Jack. Who are you to tell me how I have to live my life based on my political views? In fact, who the hell are you to tell me I have to live my life at all? Where is it written that if I support the Second Amendment and think the government should be rolled back to the restrictions laid down in the Constitution, that means I have to be Donna frigging Reed? Who died and left you in charge of the universe?

To be a vegetarian, you must have a vegetarian diet.

And to be a conservative, one must espouse conservative political views. That's it.

Conservative means conservative.

Yeah, and YOU don't get to define that for us, so get over yourself.

I learned from my 9th grade son that we no longer have BC and AD, in favor of BCE and CE (Before Common Era and Common Era). Anything to take Christ out of schools, right? So I told him that as far as we are concerned the new acronyms stand for Before Christ Existed and Christ Exists. :mm:

The same teacher has opined that Howard Zinn (A People's History of the United States) is the most important historian that ever walked the earth.

He's not.

I'll tell him that teacher said so, though if I ever see him again.

He'll get laugh out of that one, I'm sure.

He's not a historian, he's a political scientist.

New Topics

Forum List

Back