How Law School Race Preferences Harm Black Students

Discussion in 'Politics' started by NATO AIR, Dec 27, 2004.

1. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    and now the lib establishment is out to get this guy (a lifelong democrat) for publishing a study that about proves it....

2. KarlMarx

KarlMarx Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +491
    About twenty years ago, my ex-wife's friend applied for admission to law school. She was turned down, the reason given was that her LSAT scores weren't high enough. Anyway, she claims that she asked why she was turned down when other applicants who were accepted had lower SAT scores than here. The reason given was "you aren't a minority"....

Did this really happen? I don't know, she could have made the whole episode up. But even back then it was known that preferential treatment was given to blacks and other minorities.

But, then, doesn't giving preferential treatment to minorities by lowering their standards enforce the "dumb ******" stereotype? After all, what are you saying when you have policies that have differing standards based on race? That whites can do better and often do? Isn't that racist?

OK.... I know what some are going to say. Blacks have fallen behind so much education wise, that they need lower standards to compete! Well, they have fallen behind, true. But does this address the problem? No, it does not. What if in twenty years, average test scores for blacks fall even more? Are we going to lower the bar even further to accomodate them? Do you realize what is going to happen? Incompetent people are going to become doctors, lawyers and so on and then eventually people are going to discriminate them, by refusing to be treated by them or be represented by them in court. So what does this all accomplish? Nothing!

The problem is that blacks and other minorities is not necessarily that they are being discriminated against, but that they have no support structure at home. They are being raised in single parent families, low value is placed on academic acheivment (seems like sports achievement is big with blacks --- that's not an opinion, that's a fact).

I think that all our country is obliged to do is provide the equal opportunity to acheive the American dream to minorities, not guarantee it. We should not be lowering the bar for anyone. The bar should be the same height for everyone. And if some blacks can't acheive it, well..... then there's another problem that must be addressed (e.g. why are blacks falling behind educationally?).

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  3. Mr. P

Mr. P Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +620
    Bill Cosby is attempting to address "the" problem. I saw him speak in Atlanta
    via pbs recently. One of his main points was, "It ain't whities fault", "get off your ass".
    The mostly black crowd cheered.

4. rtwngAvngr

rtwngAvngr Guest

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +511
    I want to hear from oca, the discrimination lover. Well, Gertrude?