How it works in my businesses

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by saveliberty, Jan 21, 2013.

1. saveliberty

saveliberty Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19,870
    I work for myself in a landscape business and also at retail store for large ticket items. In both, listening to the customers is extremely important. Creating a high customer satisfaction score is necessary, even at times when the customer is being difficult or isn't grasping what you're telling them.

Unhappy customers loss of revenue and potentially a business closer. About the last thing you want is to attack a customer's opinion or create a hostile environment. How do you feel about customer service in your world?

2. syrenn

syrenn BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,404
    The difference being.... most posters here are not customers...as in paying customers. The membership here is using the site for free.

^^^ see bold letters and little flag.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. Mr. H.

Mr. H. Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,387
    I can't remember when I last had to deal with a "customer" but I sure remember eating their bullshit with a smile on my face.

AS a customer... you're absolutely right. Satisfaction at all levels is what brings me back.

4. Connery

Connery BANNED Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,276
    "Paying" customers is irrelevant when a business invites the people to come in and use it's goods or services such as an internet forum. As far as a typical forum type setting, revenue is generated by traffic. That traffic is noted by businesses who may decide to advertise on that site due to it's traffic. Those who come and look at the site, register, log in and post all serve as a basis for that traffic that businesses look for. The forum rules are for the betterment of all and develops an understanding between the user and owner, both sides and have rights and rules to live by.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  5. saveliberty

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19,870
    So my landscape business should do some scientific market research to better understand my customer? Stay on topic people.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  6. rightwinger

rightwinger Paid Messageboard Poster Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +45,308
    With sites like Yelp and Angies List it is more important to provide good customer service. They carry a lot of weight with consumers

7. Dreamy

Dreamy Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +430
    My personal opinion? There are some difficult clients I am glad to see never return. Some people are simply bellyaching whiners and malcontents who can never be pleased. Don't let the door hit you in the ass. :tongue:

8. saveliberty

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19,870
    Good point RW. Most of mine are personal referrals at this point. Still a positive internet presence with nice reviews could be important.

9. saveliberty

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19,870
    I have gained a great deal of business from the difficult ones at times though. Others understand that particular customer is hard to please, and if you can work for them, you must be a good contractor.

10. freedombecki

freedombecki Let's go swimmin'! Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,935
    I'm a consumer advocate and was when I went into business 25 years ago. My head was full of good will and willingness to go the extra mile when I started, but the first week I was in business, my first elderly customer accused me of unfair pricing for exotic threads that cost a fortune. hahahaha! She claimed she bought threads "just like" the ones I had for $1.00 in her winter home, and that somehow, my price made me a "crook."

It doesn't matter if you spend a fortune bringing a remote community a product it never would have had at a reasonable price, someone is always going to find fault. I learned to buy cheaper products for customers looking for a bargain.

Lessons in business don't come easy for a first-timer, no matter how much customer good-will she studied in school and a pledge to engage in fair pricing and honest dealings with the public. However, we learn from going home feeling bad how to try to outreach to people, whatever their opinion is, but at the bottom line and at the end of the day, ya can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.