How is this anything other than disgusting?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by HorhayAtAMD, Aug 30, 2005.

1. HorhayAtAMD

HorhayAtAMD Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Link
    He started a relationship with this girl when he was 20 and she was 12??? And a significant amount of people think that this is okay? And the mother gave permission for all this to happen? Is it just me or is this sick, sick, sick?

2. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,783
    Ok, by today's standards, 20 and 12 is sick. At the same time, parents, child, and 'perp' all agreed to marriage.

I don't like this, not for a bit-girl belongs in school, not in 12th, when 'baby' is in kindergarten, but in the 'great scheme of things' this is not that out of whack, when marriage is in the picture. Sigh. In the 1930's and before, would have been close to normal. 50 years incarceration? I don't think so. At the same time, if a pedophile? What about the child? I really don't know.

3. HorhayAtAMD

HorhayAtAMD Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31
    This is where the story begins and ends for me. The man is a pedophile. I don't care if he marries her, it doesn't absolve him of the fact that he had sex with a 12 year old. I don't care if the mother allowed it, mothers can make bad decisions too. The man is a pedophile and as such, deserves a harsh penalty.

4. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,783
    I'm not disagreeing with you. My gut reaction is to agree with you. At the same time, I'm teaching an 11 year old that could easily be passed off to a stupid 23 year old as a peer. No joke. She's at least 5'10", 130, and beautiful. Now when she opens her mouth, I know she's 11. Would a male? Are there 20 year old females that sound like her? Can she bear a child? Yes, since 3rd grade.

Give me an unsophisticated male, give you the scenario. At the same time, skip you or me, neither of which probably fit into this case, should the male be going to jail after willingly entering into marriage? I don't think so.

5. rtwngAvngr

rtwngAvngr Guest

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +511
    Don't impose your cultural standards on others. How bigoted.

6. William Joyce

William Joyce Chemotherapy for PC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,387
    I'm all for women having children earlier than the 38 television culture tells them to, but this is pushing it a little.

7. HorhayAtAMD

HorhayAtAMD Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Every time I come up with a brilliant reply to your post ;) , I run into
    In the end, I do not believe that "doing the right thing" (marry the girl you got pregnant) absolves him of the fact that he had sex with a 12 year old girl. I appreciate that he may have been fooled into believing she was older but I find myself falling back to the belief that he is the adult and that being an adult comes with responsibilities, responsibilities that we do not expect 12 year olds to have.

I would also seriously worry that this man knew EXACTLY what he was doing and he is simply sexually attracted to young girls. In this one case, he happened to find one that reciprocated his feelings but I can't ignore the feeling that, if left unpunished (or untreated), he won't find himself in bed with other 12 year old girls in the future.

8. HorhayAtAMD

HorhayAtAMD Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31
    When it comes to pedophilia, I'll gladly accept the label of "bigot" if it means I can keep my belief that this is wrong. :)

9. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,783
    Bolded is the reason of my concern. (No easy out for you either. ;) )

10. insein

insein Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +356
    I find it odd that in other cultures, women are sent to their husbands at about the age of 12 yet in this one we throw a man in jail for 50 years for what appears to be consentual sex. These girls today are BY NO MEANS innocent. They know they have the power over men due to the way the law sets. They are reminded of these laws through TV shows, through movies, through internet etc and the crafty ones exploit it to their gain.

Now while there are those who are innocent and do have predators attack them, the ones that actively seek out older men have no sympathy from me. Its about time the law clarified these crimes. How does a man who has consentual sex with a 16 year old get the same penalty as a man who rapes an 8 year old? Something messed up with this law.

Just like the racist word, too many cast the pedophile word on situations that dont deem it.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1