How is this anything other than disgusting?

HorhayAtAMD

Nov 27, 2004
Canada, eh!
Nebraska man pleads not guilty to rape involving 14-year-old wife
LINCOLN, Neb. -- A man accused of impregnating a 13-year-old girl whom he later married pleaded not guilty Tuesday to a charge he sexually assaulted the teenager.

Matthew Koso, 22, is charged with first-degree sexual assault. The girl, now 14, gave birth to their daughter last week.

His trial date was set for October. If convicted, he could face up to 50 years in prison.

Nebraska requires people to be at least 17 before they can marry. But after Crystal Koso became pregnant, her mother gave permission for Matthew Koso to take the girl to Kansas, which allows younger minors to get married with parental consent.
Bruning (Nebraska Attorney General) acknowledged that he has received a "significant" amount of mail from the public saying he should leave the couple alone.
Bruning said that Koso is a friend of the girl's half brother and began a relationship with her when she was 12.
Link
He started a relationship with this girl when he was 20 and she was 12??? And a significant amount of people think that this is okay? And the mother gave permission for all this to happen? Is it just me or is this sick, sick, sick?

HorhayAtAMD said:
Link
He started a relationship with this girl when he was 20 and she was 12??? And a significant amount of people think that this is okay? And the mother gave permission for all this to happen? Is it just me or is this sick, sick, sick?

Ok, by today's standards, 20 and 12 is sick. At the same time, parents, child, and 'perp' all agreed to marriage.

I don't like this, not for a bit-girl belongs in school, not in 12th, when 'baby' is in kindergarten, but in the 'great scheme of things' this is not that out of whack, when marriage is in the picture. Sigh. In the 1930's and before, would have been close to normal. 50 years incarceration? I don't think so. At the same time, if a pedophile? What about the child? I really don't know.

Kathianne said:
At the same time, if a pedophile?
This is where the story begins and ends for me. The man is a pedophile. I don't care if he marries her, it doesn't absolve him of the fact that he had sex with a 12 year old. I don't care if the mother allowed it, mothers can make bad decisions too. The man is a pedophile and as such, deserves a harsh penalty.

HorhayAtAMD said:
This is where the story begins and ends for me. The man is a pedophile. I don't care if he marries her, it doesn't absolve him of the fact that he had sex with a 12 year old. I don't care if the mother allowed it, mothers can make bad decisions too. The man is a pedophile and as such, deserves a harsh penalty.

I'm not disagreeing with you. My gut reaction is to agree with you. At the same time, I'm teaching an 11 year old that could easily be passed off to a stupid 23 year old as a peer. No joke. She's at least 5'10", 130, and beautiful. Now when she opens her mouth, I know she's 11. Would a male? Are there 20 year old females that sound like her? Can she bear a child? Yes, since 3rd grade.

Give me an unsophisticated male, give you the scenario. At the same time, skip you or me, neither of which probably fit into this case, should the male be going to jail after willingly entering into marriage? I don't think so.

HorhayAtAMD said:

Don't impose your cultural standards on others. How bigoted.

Every time I come up with a brilliant reply to your post ;) , I run into
Kathianne said:
I'm not disagreeing with you. My gut reaction is to agree with you.
In the end, I do not believe that "doing the right thing" (marry the girl you got pregnant) absolves him of the fact that he had sex with a 12 year old girl. I appreciate that he may have been fooled into believing she was older but I find myself falling back to the belief that he is the adult and that being an adult comes with responsibilities, responsibilities that we do not expect 12 year olds to have.

I would also seriously worry that this man knew EXACTLY what he was doing and he is simply sexually attracted to young girls. In this one case, he happened to find one that reciprocated his feelings but I can't ignore the feeling that, if left unpunished (or untreated), he won't find himself in bed with other 12 year old girls in the future.

rtwngAvngr said:
Don't impose your cultural standards on others. How bigoted.
When it comes to pedophilia, I'll gladly accept the label of "bigot" if it means I can keep my belief that this is wrong. :)

HorhayAtAMD said:
Every time I come up with a brilliant reply to your post ;) , I run into

In the end, I do not believe that "doing the right thing" (marry the girl you got pregnant) absolves him of the fact that he had sex with a 12 year old girl. I appreciate that he may have been fooled into believing she was older but I find myself falling back to the belief that he is the adult and that being an adult comes with responsibilities, responsibilities that we do not expect 12 year olds to have.

I would also seriously worry that this man knew EXACTLY what he was doing and he is simply sexually attracted to young girls. In this one case, he happened to find one that reciprocated his feelings but I can't ignore the feeling that, if left unpunished (or untreated), he won't find himself in bed with other 12 year old girls in the future.

Bolded is the reason of my concern. (No easy out for you either. ;) )

I find it odd that in other cultures, women are sent to their husbands at about the age of 12 yet in this one we throw a man in jail for 50 years for what appears to be consentual sex. These girls today are BY NO MEANS innocent. They know they have the power over men due to the way the law sets. They are reminded of these laws through TV shows, through movies, through internet etc and the crafty ones exploit it to their gain.

Now while there are those who are innocent and do have predators attack them, the ones that actively seek out older men have no sympathy from me. Its about time the law clarified these crimes. How does a man who has consentual sex with a 16 year old get the same penalty as a man who rapes an 8 year old? Something messed up with this law.

Just like the racist word, too many cast the pedophile word on situations that dont deem it.

• Thanks
Reactions: Nuc
Kathianne said:
Ok, by today's standards, 20 and 12 is sick. At the same time, parents, child, and 'perp' all agreed to marriage.

I don't like this, not for a bit-girl belongs in school, not in 12th, when 'baby' is in kindergarten, but in the 'great scheme of things' this is not that out of whack, when marriage is in the picture. Sigh. In the 1930's and before, would have been close to normal. 50 years incarceration? I don't think so. At the same time, if a pedophile? What about the child? I really don't know.

You're absolutely right here. In the past 20 and 12 would not have been unusual. For the Christians out there, the Bible is full of this kind of stuff. And in the past 12 meant "just entering puberty". Now girls enter puberty at 8. They are supposed to wait 10-15 years to have sex? And men are supposed to ignore the fact that some of these teenagers are built like Tyra Banks, with a sexual appetite to match?

Don't get me wrong I'm not condoning pedophilia. I'm just pointing out that societal expectations for women to wait up to a decade after entering puberty to have sex combined with massive doses of growth hormones in the food stream causing them to enter puberty at hitherto unheard of ages leads to these kinds of incidents. Evolution and societal norms are at odds here.

the female teacher in Texas that had sex with the 13 year old student
was not threatened with 50 years.

Double standards.

Still its illegal, I bet he knew that so time to pay the price.

When I was in High School, if you went more than "two-grades" lower, your friends dogged you out - BIG TIME!

We had 7th through 12th in my High School. No Senior in their right mind would go out with a Freshman, but a Sophomore was ok. No Sophomore would go out with an 7th grader, but an 8th grader was ok. Just the way it was when I went to school.

This 20 year old...come on...he knew she was 12. I don't care what she looked like; talked like; walked like. She could be a freaking genius and pass for a 30 year old - HE KNEW SHE WAS 12.

That, alone, should have told him to walk away.

12 is a bit young for sexual intercourse with anyone, puberty or not. But if this was consenual sex, then 50 years seems a bit severe of a punishment. It's a difficult issue, especially from a Christian perspective. Obviously, allowing marriage at a younger age would allow young couples to marry, but is that necessarily wise? Most people who marry that early get divorced right away.

BTW, nucular, not all girls start puberty at 8. :mad: Mine sure didn't. She's 11 1/2 and just now starting to change.

gop_jeff said:
BTW, nucular, not all girls start puberty at 8. :mad: Mine sure didn't. She's 11 1/2 and just now starting to change.

Of course, but some are, especially in the black community. They enter puberty at 2 or 3 years younger than whites on average. Considering the epidemic of out of wedlock births among black women this is a troubling fact. It does not bode well for their subculture unless they get a handle on it somehow or another.
:soul: :(

My other problem with this scenario is that if this was a 14 year old boy marrying a 22 year old woman, no one, including this attorney general, would be saying anything. There is a huge double standard in these cases (see Mary Kay Letorneau, et al) I think this attorney general should leave this couple alone. Unless the girl or her mother wish to press charges, the case should be dropped. Also, how are they going to get the girl to testify? Wives can't be compelled to testify against their husbands.

acludem

acludem said:
My other problem with this scenario is that if this was a 14 year old boy marrying a 22 year old woman, no one, including this attorney general, would be saying anything. There is a huge double standard in these cases (see Mary Kay Letorneau, et al) I think this attorney general should leave this couple alone. Unless the girl or her mother wish to press charges, the case should be dropped. Also, how are they going to get the girl to testify? Wives can't be compelled to testify against their husbands.

acludem

Your bunch positioned down in NO to make sure everyone gets treated fairly?????? If you are--get the hell outta there and let people do thier job without havijng to be afraid of lawsuits ! :bs1:

The ACLU's Louisiana chapter is headquartered in New Orleans, but I'm sure the staff there, hopefully all of them safe, are doing what most residents of city are, trying to figure out what they are going to do for the next few months. I have no doubt they won't file any lawsuits or in any way interfere with the process of recovery.

acludem

Forum List

Back