How is public transportation in your area?

My city is spread all over the place with no real center or local activity. They now have a test bus service but I suspect it will fail. The base had a service that ran from the base to the mall. I don't think that runs anymore either.

We have a small limited bus system.

Not having access to a car is a major disadvantage. Using a bicycle is... harrowing, in the absence of any bike lanes or shoulders.

I'm nearly 40 miles outside Chicago. We have trains to the city and buses that go pretty much directly to a 'target', such as train stations, major malls, universities, to the "L" system, which is about 20 miles closer to the city.

Within 20 miles of the city, lots of public transportation.

Last edited:
It's not bad but it could be better. The dominant form is bus, but it is unique in that there is an extended busway from the north-east suburbs to the city and I take that every day. There is a train service which operates to the far northern suburbs and the far southern suburbs, to the hills and to the beaches. There is a tram from a beach suburb to the city centre. I have a car but I am a big fan of public transport.

I live in a coutry of some 700+ square miles which has two (read that again for effect...2! ) stop lights.

Needless to say with a population density so sparse, our public transportation options are rather limited.

And by rather limited what I mean is they don't exist...

at all...

AKA

zilch! nada! doodle squat! zip, zipola! nyet! none!

How is public transportation in your city? Is it easy to get around?

After having read the other responses, I guess I'm pretty lucky where I live. Subway is a 10 min walk away, busses stop around the corner. Commuter rail and intercity busses keep the area connected.

The local transportation authority recently upgraded their website with excellent user friendly maps and schedules.

The neighborhood newspaper just printed a story about how the students at one of the public high schools decided this year to forgo the limo rentals to take them to the prom and to go by public transportation instead. The photo of a bunch of the kids in their tuxes and prom dresses crowding the aisle of a bus made me smile.

What? Did they stop the weekly stagecoach again???

May you are so close to getting it.

As a matter of fact, I live in a town where a bus service (ultimately going to Boston) does stop twice a day.

Now if I want to take that bus to the next city (7 miles away) it only costs $8.

So while, technically I suppose, one could say that's public transportation, the de facto reality is that there is no public transport.

We have fairly decent bus system here during the week, but on the weekends it's crap. It's slowly deteriorating because of the high gas prices. So many new riders slow the buses down so that I miss my connecting bus to work atleast two mornings a week.

Abelian Sea said:
We have a small limited bus system.

Not having access to a car is a major disadvantage. Using a bicycle is... harrowing, in the absence of any bike lanes or shoulders.
Ditto except we have bike lanes, shoulders, and sidewalks.

The only good thing about the sucky economy is that it has stopped the urban sprawl. Editec's place sounds pertty nice. If in America, is it the Southwest, Northwest, or Alaska?

If in America, is it the Southwest, Northwest, or Alaska?

It's on the midcoast of Maine about two blocks from the Penobscot Bay.

One of the more beautiful places to live in America for about three months a year.

It's a poor economy here, though. That's the area's major downside.

If you're in the market for a modest two BR cape (and outbuilding/office/mother-in-law unit, too); one on two acres with an orchard and parklike gardens, one overlooking a fishing pond (native trout of course!) abutting a wildlife preserve, I've got a great deal for you.

From my lawn one can enjoy the antics of 33 different types of birds, moose, deer, foxes, turtles, three kind of frogs, no poisonous snakes, in short the whole host of animal life that lives in the Maine's North Woods and wetlands.

My house and the grounds are rather a nature lover's delight.

Its quiet, no crime, and there's very little light pollution, too, if you're into star gazing as I am.

Plus the house is in the village proper.

That means that your kids can walk to school from K though 12 (as my son did..he's moving to college in September..where did the time go?); the bank is a block away, as is the market, post office and two reasonable nice pubs.

Its a great place to raise kids.

I'm not too much older than your son then. Before I buy a house anywhere North I want to get some time under my belt dealing with cold weather. I have only ever lived in Florida.

But if the great libertarian revolution starts in New Hampshire or Vermont, you can expect a ring from me. Your write up has hit all the right flags on my list.

And I completely forgot about South Quebe.. I mean Maine.

Last edited:
How is public transportation in your city? Is it easy to get around?

We don't have public transportation, or "busses".. We have one "cab" company, that basically operates when IT wants to, and you have to call in days ahead of time if you'd like to be picked up and taken some place..

Either get a car, or move.

one of the most extensive public transportation systems in the world, with 468 reported passenger stations,[4] (or 422 if stations connected by transfers are counted as one),[5][6] 229 miles (369 km) of routes[7] translating into 656 miles (1056 km) of revenue track, and a total of 842 miles (1355 km) including non-revenue trackage.[8] The subway is also notable for being among the few rapid transit systems in the world to run 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.[9] It is the only system to hold that distinction among the ten busiest systems in the world in terms of annual passenger traffic. The system itself has more annual boardings than those in cities such as London, Paris, and Mexico City.[10] It has nearly twice as many daily riders as every other rapid transit system in the United States combined.

New York City Subway - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Anyone here ever read this?

PAT08.jpg

He starts out taking (I think) the Green line in Boston and ends the trip in Patagonia

Great read.

Forum List

Back