How is it that Americans can't produce a competitive bath towel?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Psychoblues, Jun 24, 2004.

1. Psychoblues

Psychoblues Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +143
    I think they can and would be more than willing, given the opportunity, to do so. This applies to much more than bath towels.

As having been an elected politician for many years I had the distinct opportunity to listen to all sides of thousands of issues. Here's one that always broke my heart. It's our trade policy.

I don't for one second condemn any business decision to "outsource" in the interest of remaining competitive. But I have a huge problem with any out-sourcing entity that doesn't also reflect a reduction in retail pricing as a result of "outsourcing". To date, I haven't seen any reductions in pricing as a result of giving our jobs to others, ie. other countries. Americans can, do and will remain competitive. So what's the problem?

In meeting after meeting I am astonished when the only reasons presented for potential "outsourcing" is wages and benefit considerations. Over and over again these concerns are dispeled by responsible and credible sources and criterion but the decisions to "outsource" remain firm. They "outsource" and the prices they charge just don't reflect any significant change. Amazing. Eventually, even their more solid American competitors relinquish and also decide to "outsource", move their headquarters offshore or abide the "new" accounting principles as embraced by their more unAmerican competitors for purely "profit potential" reasoning. It doesn't mean a damn thing to regular Americans except a loss of jobs.

As a Democrat elected type I always have diligently fought this propensity. Admittedly, I've failed. Over and over again I just couldn't compile the resourses to give an honest fight against such a dishonest opponent. The enormous profits prevailed for the stockholders but mostly for the administrators. But, being a Democrat, I'm proud of what I did. We were warned of all this by GREAT AMERICANS such as Abraham Lincoln and Dwight D. Eisenhower and many others. We didn't really listen then and apparently we aren't listening now. What a regretful shame.

Psychoblues

2. Bullypulpit

Bullypulpit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +379
    Because under NAFTA and GATT, both fully enabled under Goatboy Clinton, wage and labor standards are so low in the third world that manufactures will cheerfully set up operations where they aren't bothered by thos pesky wage and hour laws, OSHA regulations or the EPA. Were labor and environmental standards given the same protections as business standards are, the situation would be quite different.

3. Psychoblues

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +143
    Those standards were certainly included in both Nafta and Gatt, Bullypulpit, but they are ignored by a profit oriented congress and now a very profit oriented pResident. Like OSHA and EPA, as I was very instrumental in bringing into law, the NAFTA and GATT acts are certainly flawed but in light of their international importance and flexibility they can be repaired. You can believe that we tried to repair the flaws before enactment but the Republicans insisted on only the flaws. I guess that's feathers in their hats, don't you think?

Psychoblues

4. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Could you please source this please?

5. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Still waiting...

6. Psychoblues

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +143
    I am the source and you'll get nothing more than that regardless your curiosities. From me, anyway. Read up on some legislative history, I can't and won't do that for you. Punk.

Psychoblues

7. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    For some reason I don't consider you a reliable source. It's not my responsibility to look for non-existant legislative history. No one can prove a negative-that was your problem and you shouldn't be throwing out red herrings.

8. Psychoblues

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +143
    I didn't present the negative, Bullypulpit did. Like most neocons, you get your facts a little twisted. You got something to say, say it straight out, OK?

Psychoblues

9. jimnyc

jimnyc ...

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +246
    I suggest you lose that fucking attitude with Kathianne. No need to call her a 'punk' for asking for a source. Your now on limited time here, keep up in your usual fashion and your sorry drunk ass will be banned.

10. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Strait out: You have no frickin' justification for what you are posting as 'fact'. Your only source is yourself, which has no authority.

What I was and am referring to is your quote:
    , not Bully's.