How ios marriage not a federal issue?

tererun

Rookie
May 19, 2012
carolinas
I am talking about the marriage contract of course. Marriage has to have federal guidelines. It is a contract that binds 2 individuals, and it should apply all over the US as a contract does. It has federal implications in taxation and benefits, along with protections. Because of all of this it should not be just tossed to the states. This is not even just for gays. If your married should that mean different things because you cross some state line? A married couple is two people who are operating together for many purposes, and there should be a basic legal meaning that you can rely on as you travel from state to state. States have to recognize other states marriages. It would be like a state not recognizing my registration because i got it in another state.

I am not a big supporter of the entire idea of marriage, but if you are going to have the partnership you need to make it consistent, and if it is going to have federal implications then the federal government has to speak up on what it means/

Can you name the clause in the Constitution that authorizes the Federal Government to regulate marriage?

Forum List

Back