Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
Now don't get cocky!

The Republican Wave Isn?t Quite Finished Yet Hot Air

The Republican Wave Isn’t Quite Finished Yet
Share116
posted at 8:35 pm on November 23, 2010 by Jimmie Bise, Jr
printer-friendly

Of all the stories of the great Republican wave election of 2010, one of the stories that didn’t get wide play is just how dominant the GOP was in state elections. Republicans claimed a record 680 state legislative seats around the country, 52 more than the old record, set by Democrats in 1974 and 208 more than they picked up in the 1994 Gingrich Revolution. The right now controls both chambers of 26 state legislatures.

And the hits just keep coming. In the past couple of weeks, at least 11 Democratic state legislators have switched sides — one in South Dakota, one in Maine, , one in Louisiana, two in Georgia, and four in Alabama. In Louisiana, the switch gives Republicans control of one house of the government for the first time since Reconstruction; in Alabama, the Republicans control both houses for the first time since 1874.

The obvious reason these wins are important is that 44 states will start redrawing their Congressional districts next year. Many of the states in the South now controlled by Republicans will pick up House seats and few of them will be inclined to treat Democratic incumbents well. The lines drawn next year could help cement Republican control of the house not only in 2012 but perhaps for the next decade or more...

Lots of links.

Now don't get cocky!

Share116
printer-friendly

Of all the stories of the great Republican wave election of 2010, one of the stories that didn’t get wide play is just how dominant the GOP was in state elections. Republicans claimed a record 680 state legislative seats around the country, 52 more than the old record, set by Democrats in 1974 and 208 more than they picked up in the 1994 Gingrich Revolution. The right now controls both chambers of 26 state legislatures.

And the hits just keep coming. In the past couple of weeks, at least 11 Democratic state legislators have switched sides — one in South Dakota, one in Maine, , one in Louisiana, two in Georgia, and four in Alabama. In Louisiana, the switch gives Republicans control of one house of the government for the first time since Reconstruction; in Alabama, the Republicans control both houses for the first time since 1874.

The obvious reason these wins are important is that 44 states will start redrawing their Congressional districts next year. Many of the states in the South now controlled by Republicans will pick up House seats and few of them will be inclined to treat Democratic incumbents well. The lines drawn next year could help cement Republican control of the house not only in 2012 but perhaps for the next decade or more...

Lots of links.

They've been granted power by the people. Now let's see what they do with it?

Now don't get cocky!

Share116
printer-friendly

Lots of links.

I've more faith in the state reps, than the fed. But I'm jaded.

I've more faith in the state reps, than the fed. But I'm jaded.

As am I. I have Zero faith in federal government and their intrusive ways. I can only be hopeful, and watchful that these State legislatures will fully assert the 9th and 10th Amendments as they should have been doing all along instead of playing ball with the FED.

And cease playing party politics.

Last edited:
I know this isn't popular with the far right crowd but I'd actually like to see things actually get done for the country and not so much for the party.
As any poll will tell you, a huge majority of the population are fed up with the gridlock and party politics. People want things accomplished.
So, let's see if things DO get done,,,otherwise the will of the people will again be ignored. And if that happens, the result of 2010 can get turned around quickly. The people of this country don't have much patience with politics as usual.
If people look at reality, more people identify themselves as independents leaning towards the middle, the fringe right and left are the minority.

I dont think this has quite sunk in for the k00ks yet............been sayin' it since the day after the election. Its gonna be virtually impossible for the House to go back the the k00ks before 2020.

000018ED_standing_naked_girlfriend_in_snow-2.jpg

Actually.........Rush Limbaugh was talking about this yesterday before signing off..........about the political realities of the governorships going solid red in the rust belt and the long term effects on the House..................

Sent out a nice holiday message to the k00ks.....................

Rush_Limbaugh_2004_cropped-1.jpg

...........and something about the feast tomorrow tasting a whole lot better across America for conservatives!!!

Forum List

Back