CDZ How important is spending and debt in government?

Discussion in 'Clean Debate Zone' started by Foxfyre, Mar 25, 2016.

1. 320 Years of History

320 Years of History Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,552
    ??? Is Greece on the gold standard?

Our system depends on holders of dollar-valued, and specifically U.S. Government issued, debt believing they will get paid. The dollar's value has something to do with that, but not much in the scheme of things, that is unless the U.S. goes on a dollar-printing spree. I seriously doubt that'll happen, but it could. If it did, we'd only once be permitted to get away with doing so.

2. eagle1462010

eagle1462010 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,354
  3. 320 Years of History

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,552
    There are some other documents one should read/understand as goes the matter of debt and monetary policy:

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. 320 Years of History

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,552
    History also shows that our is a time influenced by vastly more and more complex factors than any of years prior to the latter half of the 20th century and beyond. I wonder what Mr. Ferreira would say about that, but assuming you are not he, what say you about it? Also, how does the fact that there isn't any single reserve currency in the world today factor into the conclusions in his essay?

Reading that paper, I gleaned the author has an "axe to grind" more than much else. I think that because it's a pretty well composed essay, but it's devoid of the references it should have to up the ante on its rigor. He states a lot of truths, but draws little to none of the correlations needed to arrive conclusively at his final stance. Although, sure, the info he's presented is conclusive enough for him.

And, no, I'm not necessarily disagreeing or agreeing with him. I'd need to research the matter more to do that. I'm just sharing my thoughts on the sufficiency of his overall argument as being something I should accept as so.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
  5. eagle1462010

eagle1462010 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,354
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. 320 Years of History

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,552
    I'm sure there's something you want us to take from that quote. I don't know what it be?

7. eagle1462010

eagle1462010 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,354
    We need the world to borrow from to pay the bills..............If no body wants our currency anymore then we are Insolvent........How long..........who knows...........but you can't borrow your way into prosperity................and the quote was a warning from the founding fathers.............to not allow the banks to control the currency.............and I agree..............

The world is prepping to ditch our currency...........and I believe that is

8. Slade3200

Slade3200 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,507
    Your article backs up my point... We issue our own currency and thus will never default. Our economy is dependant on the act of borrowing which creates new money so we will always be in a state of debt and most likely always in a deficit. This is ok as long as GDP is growing. For us to have a surplus we would be putting the private sector in a deficit and would likely depress the economy. The national debt isn't the same kind of debt as people or business have with ther credit cards or loans, it is more so a reflection of public and foreign investments, with a smaller fraction of discretionary spending... Greece uses the Euro and does not issue its own currency so when they went under they needed to be bailed out so they could stimulate growth. This is Something that the US will never have to deal with.

9. Slade3200

Slade3200 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,507
  10. eagle1462010

eagle1462010 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,354
    6 other countries said the same thing.............6 empires with the world in their hands........and the world's reserve currency holders.................

When the world moves away from the petro dollar we will pay a price for our stupidity.