How important is a unilingual nation to you?

Originally posted by William Joyce
HOLA! 911!

Yes, my wife isn't breathing.

QUE?

My wife isn't breathing!

AH? NO HABLO INLES!

I can't understand you. Look, my wife isn't breathing. Please send help!

NO HABLO INGLES! BUENAS DIAS!

Oh, God, she's dead.

AH? AYE CARUMBA!

Don't quit your day job.

Not to sound like a broken record, but learn English if you want to live here. Do not bring your whole culture and expect it to be the same. You assimilate into any other country in the world. You will assimilate here. Its not called, melting pot for nothing. Although lately i have doubts if we're not more like a crayola box.

Personally. I think we should make English the official language and make it a requirement for citizenship. And you should be required to be willing to learn english to be let in.

This isnt because Spanish is a crappy language or anything. I rather like Spanish. Its just in order to succeed in America, you need to know English. And if you arent coming to American to succeed at creating a new life, why come at all? We dont need more people taking up the welfare lines and if you dont have the ability to communicate to people in this country then thats all you really are going to do.

We should also encourage the studying of foriegn languages more. Being able to communicate is one of the most vital skills for career advancement in the future. And if you can speak more than one language you have an advantage. Knowledge is power.

There's no need for an official language. Even if we had one,what difference would it make? People who can't speak English wouldn't magically learn it because it's the "official" language.
We really just need a better school system where all Americans who attend public school can speak two or three languages by 6th grade. Everyone I know from a Western European country could usually speak at least three languages by middle school due to an improved curriculum.

Originally posted by menewa
There's no need for an official language. Even if we had one,what difference would it make? People who can't speak English wouldn't magically learn it because it's the "official" language.
We really just need a better school system where all Americans who attend public school can speak two or three languages by 6th grade. Everyone I know from a Western European country could usually speak at least three languages by middle school due to an improved curriculum.

So even though they are coming here, we are supposed to learn thier language? And not just spanish but another language as well? And if theres no need for an official language, who is to say what language the roadsigns will be in? And, as Dilloduck pointed out, 911 operators? And the voting ballots? That is why there needs to be an official language.

Originally posted by Captain_Steel
So even though they are coming here, we are supposed to learn thier language? And not just spanish but another languages as well? And if theres no need for an official language, who is to say what language the roadsigns will be in? And, as Dilloduck pointed out, 911 operators? And the voting ballots? That is why there needs to be an official language.

Agree with! Welcome Captain Steel.

Menewa, what subjects would you cut in order to teach the 2 or three languages to 'improve' the curriculum? Most of the worst schools are doing such a bang up job that the majority already can't graduate. Now you want them to add that to what they are already failing at? :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Kathianne
Agree with! Welcome Captain Steel.

Menewa, what subjects would you cut in order to teach the 2 or three languages to 'improve' the curriculum? Most of the worst schools are doing such a bang up job that the majority already can't graduate. Now you want them to add that to what they are already failing at? :rolleyes:

Of course we need to add to the curriculum, not cut it. People who can't graduate should drop out of school early and enter the work force or learn a trade. Our public school curriculum really needs to toughen up and beef up. They are failing b/c they are simple and devoid of creativity. They are not challenging enough and they don't prepare anybody for the real world.
Western European students are light years ahead of American students because they have tough curriculums and you quit school early and enter a trade if you can't hack the scholatics. But I guess you are for a continued dumbing down of Americans.

Originally posted by menewa
Of course we need to add to the curriculum, not cut it. People who can't graduate should drop out of school early and enter the work force or learn a trade. Our public school curriculum really needs to toughen up and beef up. They are failing b/c they are simple and devoid of creativity. They are not challenging enough and they don't prepare anybody for the real world.
Western European students are light years ahead of American students because they have tough curriculums and you quit school early and enter a trade if you can't hack the scholatics. But I guess you are for a continued dumbing down of Americans.

Hardly for the 'dumbing down' you mention. You are correct, we do have a different educational system than Europe. We do believe in the goal to educate all through high school. Are some more able? Yes. Are some more motivated/disciplined? Without doubt. Would you have the schools eliminate extra-curricular activities/sports in order to accomodate a longer school day and more staff?

Originally posted by Kathianne
Would you have the schools eliminate extra-curricular activities/sports in order to accomodate a longer school day and more staff?

They already have been cut at many schools due to insufficiencies in school budgets and b/c more time and energy is being funneled into the evil realm of preparing students to pass standardized tests.

Don't have to cut anything or even add hours. Just rearrange and alter the system some. Their is no need for children to be taking six or seven subject at once. This can easily be cut down to fewer, but more intensive, classes in a day. Their are all kinds of possibilities. Teachers and principals need to be allowed more leeway in developing curricula. We could boost the efforts made by teachers by boosting their salaries as well.

Originally posted by Bullypulpit
Multiple languages + multiple cultures = a vibrant and thriving society.

Could you please explain this equation? Are multiple languages necessary for a vibrant society and if so--why? Diversion breaks up boredom and provides options but when it becomes more important than the rights of the majority it weakens the whole and is divisive. (oh ya--when to we get to see everything printed in 40+ languages?--some don't speak English OR Spanish.)

Originally posted by dilloduck
Could you please explain this equation? Are multiple languages necessary for a vibrant society and if so--why?

Hell, Dillo, you're not really expecting a rational answer on that one, are you?

Lib philosophy is that we are ALWAYS wrong, so if someone from Khazakistan comes to this country, it's up to us to learn HIS language, not the other way around.

Well... I guess I will toss in my two cents here.

I strongly believe that english should be the primary language spoken in America. I understand the history of this country and that looking back, we have been and more and likely always will be a land of immigrants. But over the course of time, english has become the dominent language, right or wrong, and it should stay that way.

Now, I do believe the children in our schools who do not speak english or do not speak it well do need to be educated in their natvie language first, only because you cannot learn another language without first fully understanding your own.

Take me for instance. I grew up in a household where english and spanish were both the primary languages that I grew up with. I knew how to speak both, but when I started going to school, nobody spoke spanish, I slowly forgot it. Cut to high school where I am taking spanish class now and learning it all over again. Because I understood english, and did pretty well for the most part, picking up spanish was pretty easy because I knew that when I said pecho it translated to chest. But I wouldn't of known that if I didn't know my language first.

Originally posted by brneyedgrl80
Well... I guess I will toss in my two cents here.

I strongly believe that english should be the primary language spoken in America. I understand the history of this country and that looking back, we have been and more and likely always will be a land of immigrants. But over the course of time, english has become the dominent language, right or wrong, and it should stay that way.

Now, I do believe the children in our schools who do not speak english or do not speak it well do need to be educated in their natvie language first, only because you cannot learn another language without first fully understanding your own.

Take me for instance. I grew up in a household where english and spanish were both the primary languages that I grew up with. I knew how to speak both, but when I started going to school, nobody spoke spanish, I slowly forgot it. Cut to high school where I am taking spanish class now and learning it all over again. Because I understood english, and did pretty well for the most part, picking up spanish was pretty easy because I knew that when I said pecho it translated to chest. But I wouldn't of known that if I didn't know my language first.

Who is going to educate them in thier native tongue and where are they going to get this education? How old should they be before they learn english? Do we have enough teachers or money to fund the "TEACH PEOPLE IN THE OWN LANGUAGE FIRST" movement? Get real.

Originally posted by dilloduck
Who is going to educate them in thier native tongue and where are they going to get this education? How old should they be before they learn english? Do we have enough teachers or money to fund the "TEACH PEOPLE IN THE OWN LANGUAGE FIRST" movement? Get real.

California, possibly the state most effected and the first to implement bilingualism, got rid of same through referendum. Why? Because it held the students back.

http://www.onenation.org/

Forum List

Back