How high does the price of gas need to go...

KMAN

Jul 9, 2008
before the Democrats give in and let us drill for more oil?

and what will the unemployment rate be by that time?

Any opinions?

Humans will eventually go extinct. Everything dies off eventually. At the rate of growth, we will exceed our carrying capacity in the very near future. Within the next 1000 years, the world population will likely decline. We do not have anywhere near the quantity of available resources to match our growth at it's current rate. Every species on this earth experiences environmental pressures. Humans are evolving because of environmental pressures. We have a limited amount of oil on earth. Like you said, it takes millions of years for carbinoferous forests to decay into fossil fuels. There is oil all over the planet, but there are people everywhere as well. We've been using oil steadily since the ind.rev. and we've already come to a point where it's getting more and more precious. You've got to realize that we cannot even come close to keeping up the flow of oil from the grounds to meet our demands. You speak of finding new oil, but how long will that really last? All the oil in the world won't supply us more than a few generations. Simple logic. We are using it faster than it is being produced, therefore we will run out eventually.

Humans have been good stewards of our planet. We host thousands of different species within our bodies. Over 17 million people every year die from other life forms like bacteria, sharks, viruses, ect... We give back, but we also take. We cannot make too much of an impact on nature. With the ANWAR issue, I'm not against it because I think it will imped the migratory patterns of caribou. I'm against it because it is nothing more than a cheap scheme to band-aid the fears of Americans who's fears should not be put to rest. We can go into ANWAR, drill the hell out of it, put that oil on the world market and save a dime at the pump in 2010. Why would we want to do this? We would be destroying our land for the benefit of the world economy that will eventually bankrupt us by the end of the next century. When America does enter into the next world war, do you want to have to carry to burden of us being without oil so you could save a buck at the pumps? Or do you want to be able to say, hey, I spent that extra 100 bucks over my life time to make sure we have oil when the rest of the world runs out and wants to fight about it?

we are digging for more oil already in the usa....,... millions of acreas of gvt land were opened up for drilling a few years back.....big oil companies still haven't drilled there, but smaller companies are giving it a shot and becoming millionaires from it, is what is being reported.

oil companies have no incentive or real desire to dig 28,000 feet deep in the Gulf of mexico's waters for our possible oil i heard the Oil Heads testify to such in a hearing before congress about a month ago on cspan,

when they can just get oil easily out of the ground in iraq, especially if they get the contracts for oil we are fighting for them to get!!! :(

it is cheaper for them to draw the oil out of iraq than the Gulf of mexico, this is a ''for profit'' industry, not Nationally owned....? IT can't be forced upon them....

either way, no law passed regarding addition drilling options will reduce our gas and oil prices now....Brazil had a huge, mega find of oil a year or so ago, the largest find of the last century...

OIL prices went up, regardless.... :(

Oil is also sold on a global market, at the Global price....we get NO BREAK for it being pulled out of the Gulf or out of Iraq or out of Saudi Arabia or out of Canada or out of Mexico.....?

Care

Last edited:
Humans will eventually go extinct. Everything dies off eventually. At the rate of growth, we will exceed our carrying capacity in the very near future. Within the next 1000 years, the world population will likely decline. We do not have anywhere near the quantity of available resources to match our growth at it's current rate. Every species on this earth experiences environmental pressures. Humans are evolving because of environmental pressures. We have a limited amount of oil on earth. Like you said, it takes millions of years for carbinoferous forests to decay into fossil fuels. There is oil all over the planet, but there are people everywhere as well. We've been using oil steadily since the ind.rev. and we've already come to a point where it's getting more and more precious. You've got to realize that we cannot even come close to keeping up the flow of oil from the grounds to meet our demands. You speak of finding new oil, but how long will that really last? All the oil in the world won't supply us more than a few generations. Simple logic. We are using it faster than it is being produced, therefore we will run out eventually.

Humans have been good stewards of our planet. We host thousands of different species within our bodies. Over 17 million people every year die from other life forms like bacteria, sharks, viruses, ect... We give back, but we also take. We cannot make too much of an impact on nature. With the ANWAR issue, I'm not against it because I think it will imped the migratory patterns of caribou. I'm against it because it is nothing more than a cheap scheme to band-aid the fears of Americans who's fears should not be put to rest. We can go into ANWAR, drill the hell out of it, put that oil on the world market and save a dime at the pump in 2010. Why would we want to do this? We would be destroying our land for the benefit of the world economy that will eventually bankrupt us by the end of the next century. When America does enter into the next world war, do you want to have to carry to burden of us being without oil so you could save a buck at the pumps? Or do you want to be able to say, hey, I spent that extra 100 bucks over my life time to make sure we have oil when the rest of the world runs out and wants to fight about it?

I guess that all depends on the outcome of the next world war. China might own ANWAR and I don't think they give a shit about caribou.

I guess that all depends on the outcome of the next world war. China might own ANWAR and I don't think they give a shit about caribou.
They probably own it already, with our trade deficit and and all the borrowing of our debt, we've gone to them for.... :(

Care

Have the wingnuts missed the fact there is plenty of oil and our drilling and ruining our earth will only put oil in the same market. Oil needs competition till then you will pay what the master (corporate masters) wants you to, we made this bed we need to sleep in it.

from 92 and still true
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqrBzuOwGqQ]YouTube - Girl's Speech @ UN Conference on Environment and Development[/ame]

A vote for John McCain is a vote against the fundamental principle of America, the right of the individual to lead their life privately without the government interfering.

Have the wingnuts missed the fact there is plenty of oil and our drilling and ruining our earth will only put oil in the same market. Oil needs competition till then you will pay what the master (corporate masters) wants you to, we made this bed we need to sleep in it.

from 92 and still true
YouTube - Girl's Speech @ UN Conference on Environment and Development

A vote for John McCain is a vote against the fundamental principle of America, the right of the individual to lead their life privately without the government interfering.

You clearly do not understand how market economics and supply and Demand work.

Anyone heard of supply and demand?

Are you telling me that if we announced today that we are drilling for our own oil that the Saudis wouldn't immediately increase their production in order to entice us not to drill? Why should the middle east have us bent over when we could help ourselves? This will atleast buy us some time until someone saves the world by discovering an affordable alternative fuel.

By the way you guys do know that the ANWR region is about the size of South Dakota and they are talking about drilling on land that is the size of Kennedy airport, right?

And regarding the land that the oil companies have already, they do not know if there is oil in that land or not... They know there is oil in Alaska.

Anyone heard of supply and demand?

Are you telling me that if we announced today that we are drilling for our own oil that the Saudis wouldn't immediately increase their production in order to entice us not to drill? Why should the middle east have us bent over when we could help ourselves? This will atleast buy us some time until someone saves the world by discovering an affordable alternative fuel.

By the way you guys do know that the ANWR region is about the size of South Dakota and they are talking about drilling on land that is the size of Kennedy airport, right?

And regarding the land that the oil companies have already, they do not know if there is oil in that land or not... They know there is oil in Alaska.

well, they know it will take many years for us to actually get the oil up. what probably will increase supply is if we start investing hugely in alternative energys. the saudi's etc will become worried that their biggest client is going to stop buying from them and they will do what they can to lower the price so we start buying their oil again and stop researching in alternatives (1970's, anyone?). i have an idea. how bout we stop consuming oil like woah and develop our own supply but not use it up within 10 years? you know, save it for products that use oil and have no true substitute? and keep energy $$ in the US instead of sending it overseas.

Any opinions?

How many million arces of land with recoverable oil under it, lands that they're already authorized to drill on, will the oil companies ignore while they're whining about ANWR?

And what will the unemployment rate before they stop gauging us?

Any opinions?

Any opinions?

I have a better question. How bad does the economy have to get before republicans stop making their energy policy behind closed doors with oil company execs and lobbyists?

I have a better question. How bad does the economy have to get before republicans stop making their energy policy behind closed doors with oil company execs and lobbyists?

are you saying the oil companies and their allys arent doing what's best for america? lies!

are you saying the oil companies and their allys arent doing what's best for america? lies!

If the GOP and Oil Companies had your best interests in mind, they wouldn't have record profits this year and the year before and the year after.

You know corporations only care about one thing stupid, and that's their profits.

An Open letter to All Airline Customers:

Our country is facing a possible sharp economic downturn because of skyrocketing oil and fuel prices, but by pulling together, we can all do something to help now. Visit Stop Oil Speculation Now | S.O.S. NOW.

For airlines, ultra-expensive fuel means thousands of lost jobs and severe reductions in air service to both large and small communities. To the broader economy, oil prices mean slower activity and widespread economic pain. This pain can be alleviated, and that is why we are taking the extraordinary step of writing this joint letter to our customers.

Since high oil prices are partly a response to normal market forces, the nation needs to focus on increased energy supplies and conservation. However, there is another side to this story because normal market forces are being dangerously amplified by poorly regulated market speculation.

Twenty years ago, 21 percent of oil contracts were purchased by speculators who trade oil on paper with no intention of ever taking delivery. Today, oil speculators purchase 66 percent of all oil futures contracts, and that reflects just the transactions that are known. Speculators buy up large amounts of oil and then sell it to each other again and again. A barrel of oil may trade 20-plus times before it is delivered and used; the price goes up with each trade and consumers pick up the final tab. Some market experts estimate that current prices reflect as much as $30 to $60 per barrel in unnecessary speculative costs.

Over seventy years ago, Congress established regulations to control excessive, largely unchecked market speculation and manipulation. However, over the past two decades, these regulatory limits have been weakened or removed. We believe that restoring and enforcing these limits, along with several other modest measures, will provide more disclosure, transparency and sound market oversight. Together, these reforms will help cool the over-heated oil market and permit the economy to prosper.

The nation needs to pull together to reform the oil markets and solve this growing problem. We need your help. Get more information and contact Congress by visiting Stop Oil Speculation Now | S.O.S. NOW.

Robert Fornaro
Chairman, President and CEO
AirTran Airways
Bill Ayer
Alaska Airlines, Inc.
Gerard J. Arpey
American Airlines, Inc.

Lawrence W. Kellner
Chairman and CEO
Continental Airlines, Inc.
Richard Anderson
CEO
Delta Air Lines, Inc.
Mark B. Dunkerley
President and CEO
Hawaiian Airlines, Inc.

Dave Barger
CEO
JetBlue Airways Corporation
Timothy E. Hoeksema
Midwest Airlines
Douglas M. Steenland
President and CEO
Northwest Airlines, Inc.

Gary Kelly
Chairman and CEO
Southwest Airlines Co.
Glenn F. Tilton
United Airlines, Inc.
Douglas Parker
Chairman and CEO
US Airways Group, Inc.

Northwest Airlines
Department A6810
2700 Lone Oak Parkway
St. Paul, MN 55121

© Northwest Airlines 2008

Strengthen the USD and oil prices will go down ...

Stop printing more money ...

Raise them interest rates ...

Be more fiscally responsible ...

Curtail speculators.... control banks who engage in predatory lending practices; and again....

stop allowing oil company execs and lobbyists to construct our energy policy behind closed doors.

dont make me laugh. those are all fairy tale fixes. the only possible solution is to drill more oil. duh

Forum List

Back