CDZ How Free Is Free Speech in America?

Is Speech Really Free In America?

• Yes

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • No

Votes: 7 53.8%

• Total voters
The uncomfortable truth is that here, as elsewhere around the world, freedom of expression has never come easily and is nearly always threatened in one way or another.

Bill Blum How Free Is Free Speech in America - Bill Blum -Truthdig

So, how do you think, is speech really free in America?
No such thing as free speech. There is always a consequence or price to be paid for your words.

Incorrect.

There is only a price to be paid if someone chooses to make you pay the price.

Certain groups are far more likely than others to go out of their way to punish someone for "offending" them.

Such as the American PC Police and the Jihadist PC Police.

You lack understanding and have no idea how the human mind works. Look up Newtons 3rd law. I learned this in grade school.

Well, fortunately, we have you here to tell us "how the human mind works".

Gosh.

What a relief.

The uncomfortable truth is that here, as elsewhere around the world, freedom of expression has never come easily and is nearly always threatened in one way or another.

No such thing as free speech. There is always a consequence or price to be paid for your words.

Incorrect.

Certain groups are far more likely than others to go out of their way to punish someone for "offending" them.

You lack understanding and have no idea how the human mind works. Look up Newtons 3rd law. I learned this in grade school.

Gosh.

What a relief.

No worries. Let me know if you need anything else explained about the consequences of your actions.

Incorrect.

Gosh.

What a relief.

No worries. Let me know if you need anything else explained about the consequences of your actions.

Thanks, but I can just read about recent events in France for that.

Much appreciated, though.

In the United States it is dangerous to point out how the different races differ in average intelligence, crime, and illegitimacy. It is really dangerous to maintain that the differences have genetic origins.

If you maintain that genetic differences are responsible for racial differences in average ability and behavior you will not be put in jail. However, you may lose your job, even if you document your assertions from credible sources.

In the United States it is dangerous to point out how the different races differ in average intelligence, crime, and illegitimacy. It is really dangerous to maintain that the differences have genetic origins.

If you maintain that genetic differences are responsible for racial differences in average ability and behavior you will not be put in jail. However, you may lose your job, even if you document your assertions from credible sources.

If you were the employer, would you fire someone for "maintaining" that?

Depends on which side of the political spectrum you're on. Christian pastors are finding it more and more difficult to preach from the Bible for fear of being accused of a "hate crime" but if you're a far left liberal you can be as hateful towards Christians, Conservatives, and white males as you wish without fear of any consequences. A new trend IS emerging.

Preaching has not been prosecuted as a hate crime in this country, nor are there any statutes under which it might be. :rolleyes:

An employer's expectation of civilized conduct is not a matter of free speech.

This so-called "free Speech" has been through the wringer since the Founding fathers dared to declare it. The issue has been interpreted many times and always will be. Now that we are all under the influence of mass media and the internet the debate will only grow larger and again with no final solution. Advance at your own risk.

I find it difficult to believe that the spirit of free speech needs to be so complicated.

As a freedom of expression purist, I can make obvious exceptions like screaming "fire" in crowded theater, "bomb" or "hijack" in an airplane. Fine.

But some have taken it upon themselves to equate freedom of expression with punishment, and that goes against the spirit of free speech.

Exercise your freedom of expression to disagree and debate, yes; to punish and intimidate, no. Not really that complicated.

But some narcissists just won't see that. Punish and intimidate. From here to a satirical magazine in France. You narcissists are all kindred spirits.

Last edited:

Freedom of speech and freedom of expression are only restricted when they violate a law, passed by a legislature elected by the people. Thus, one can criticize elected officials, their policies, their personal behavior but one cannot threaten them harm.

One can complain about an airline, it late arrivals and take offs but one cannot say he or she will bomb one.

It comes down to personal responsibility, the obedience to the law and common sense. Can people be arrested and taken into custody for failing to pass the attitude test? You bet, doing so is a failure to use common sense. Yes officer, I understand may still result in a citation, fuck you pig may result in a ride in the cage. You decide.

Forum List

Back