How Far Will You Question Terrorism?

It was just the pictures???

Why weren't they just posted here?

I've seen the man falling picture back in 2001...and yes, it is TROUBLING. When I first saw it, it kept me up at night.

Which is why I try not to look at those pictures...the TROUBLE me, bother me, make me sad, anxious, angry, sick...what word should I have used that would not have been so STRANGE for you???

Stop being so defensive.

Horrifying came to my mind. Troubling sounded . . . . somehow uncaring. Sorry if I misread how you meant it.

The pictures were the main point, the links gave more information.

Sorry if I was defensive...I just don't like it when my use of words to describe my personal feeling about something are brought into question. But I think we are on the same page about the images.

As I have said in other threads...I like to avoid looking at pictures and videos of that day...the images in my mind are vivid enough.
Ain't that the truth. No video or picture can rival the resolution of the images in my head. This is a rough day for me...I have to work on my hate, but am not quite ready to let go of it. Odd. I hate hating.

I hate hating.

Ah hell, you are allowed to hate today. Print out a picture of Bin Laden and use it to wipe your ass.

Works for me.

But in the long run hating these troglodytes is not an answer; they want you to play that Islamic dungeons and Allah game. It is not a game worth playing. Still, we have to wipe the pieces off the board, just do it rationally, without hate.

Wars are fought better that way. And it is the one weapon democratic civilisation has, reason; all they have is hate.

Print out a picture of Bin Laden and use it to wipe your ass.

What are you going to print it on?

And if you are going to use regular white paper, I don't think that will absorb much shit.

Plus if you papercut one of your hemorrhoids...WATCH OUT!

It was just the pictures???

Why weren't they just posted here?

I've seen the man falling picture back in 2001...and yes, it is TROUBLING. When I first saw it, it kept me up at night.

Which is why I try not to look at those pictures...the TROUBLE me, bother me, make me sad, anxious, angry, sick...what word should I have used that would not have been so STRANGE for you???

Stop being so defensive.

Horrifying came to my mind. Troubling sounded . . . . somehow uncaring. Sorry if I misread how you meant it.

Sorry if I was defensive...I just don't like it when my use of words to describe my personal feeling about something are brought into question. But I think we are on the same page about the images.

As I have said in other threads...I like to avoid looking at pictures and videos of that day...the images in my mind are vivid enough.

Red type is defensive. :tongue:

When I see the word troubling I think of something like 'Jim's behavior is rather troubling' (as in perplexing), that's all. That's why I questioned it.

We are the exact same page as far as the images go. When I posted on this thread last night I was watching the History channel and a real-time timeline of the events from the people who where there. There were images and video I'd never seen before, including the people who jumped. 9/11 never fails to bring tears to my eyes. Just . . . .horrid. :(

When I posted on this thread last night I was watching the History channel and a real-time timeline of the events from the people who where there. There were images and video I'd never seen before, including the people who jumped.

I can't watch that stuff...it keeps me up at night.

Are you trying to be funny or an ass?

Neither.

I thought she was referring me to a website and wanted me to do something there.

I guess the OP was cryptic to me...but I was one who bothered to follow the link.

Sorry if somehow I offended someone.

She did refer you to a website. Tell me, what did you see there? I saw the horror of 9/11 and death.

But what did it have to do with the OP question? What's the implication? That we've become complacent? To that, I would say somewhat, but I for one am still vigilent when I see something out of the ordindary in a crowded area. As far as fearing that there's a Muslim jihadi behind every tree? No.

Stop being so defensive.

Red type is defensive. :tongue:

When I see the word troubling I think of something like 'Jim's behavior is rather troubling' (as in perplexing), that's all. That's why I questioned it.

We are the exact same page as far as the images go. When I posted on this thread last night I was watching the History channel and a real-time timeline of the events from the people who where there. There were images and video I'd never seen before, including the people who jumped. 9/11 never fails to bring tears to my eyes. Just . . . .horrid. :(

MSNBC carried the live real-time event as recorded by NBC from the moment they broke in with news that a plane had hit the WTC. Whereas I swore I wasn't going to watch any of it, I was mesmerized. It is amazing how much we know NOW that was not known at the time the entire event was unfolding, so to be constantly switching back from past to present in my head was a comfortable feeling, actually.

I also kept thinking how amazing it was that the reporters kept their cool, as they watched the second plane hit, the towers fall, the Pentagon strike and the wayward plane in Pennsylvania. I would have been screaming into the mike like the fellow describing the explosion of the Hindenberg! (Which is why I'm not a TV journalist. :lol: )

If that's a real picture of a person falling, I find that extremely disrespectful. I also found it extremely disrespectful when I read Extremely Close and Incredibly Close and they had similar pictures.

I always found it to be a sad fact that the first fireman killed on 9/11 was by someone who had to actually fight up the courage when the flames were about to engulf them and jump.

I find it disrespectful that the media has chosen to filter 9/11. Now it's to be 'celebrated' as a day of service. Sort of Catholic penance for sins of ourselves and fathers?

As for the falling man:

The Falling Man - Tom Junod - 9/11 Suicide Photograph - Esquire

If that's a real picture of a person falling, I find that extremely disrespectful. I also found it extremely disrespectful when I read Extremely Close and Incredibly Close and they had similar pictures.

I always found it to be a sad fact that the first fireman killed on 9/11 was by someone who had to actually fight up the courage when the flames were about to engulf them and jump.

I find it disrespectful that the media has chosen to filter 9/11. Now it's to be 'celebrated' as a day of service. Sort of Catholic penance for sins of ourselves and fathers?

As for the falling man:

The Falling Man - Tom Junod - 9/11 Suicide Photograph - Esquire

I was dismayed and angered when my 12 year old told me yesterday that they didn't even mention 9/11 at school. Nothing, as if it never happened. wtf? Disgusting.

They began jumping not long after the first plane hit the North Tower, not long after the fire started. They kept jumping until the tower fell. They jumped through windows already broken and then, later, through windows they broke themselves. They jumped to escape the smoke and the fire; they jumped when the ceilings fell and the floors collapsed; they jumped just to breathe once more before they died. They jumped continually, from all four sides of the building, and from all floors above and around the building's fatal wound. They jumped from the offices of Marsh & McLennan, the insurance company; from the offices of Cantor Fitzgerald, the bond-trading company; from Windows on the World, the restaurant on the 106th and 107th floors -- the top. For more than an hour and a half, they streamed from the building, one after another, consecutively rather than en masse, as if each individual required the sight of another individual jumping before mustering the courage to jump himself or herself. One photograph, taken at a distance, shows people jumping in perfect sequence, like parachutists, forming an arc composed of three plummeting people, evenly spaced. Indeed, there were reports that some tried parachuting, before the force generated by their fall ripped the drapes, the tablecloths, the desperately gathered fabric, from their hands. They were all, obviously, very much alive on their way down, and their way down lasted an approximate count of ten seconds. They were all, obviously, not just killed when they landed but destroyed, in body though not, one prays, in soul. One hit a fireman on the ground and killed him; the fireman's body was anointed by Father Mychal Judge, whose own death, shortly thereafter, was embraced as an example of martyrdom after the photograph -- the redemptive tableau -- of firefighters carrying his body from the rubble made its way around the world.

Read more: The Falling Man - Tom Junod - 9/11 Suicide Photograph - Esquire

They began jumping not long after the first plane hit the North Tower, not long after the fire started. They kept jumping until the tower fell. They jumped through windows already broken and then, later, through windows they broke themselves. They jumped to escape the smoke and the fire; they jumped when the ceilings fell and the floors collapsed; they jumped just to breathe once more before they died. They jumped continually, from all four sides of the building, and from all floors above and around the building's fatal wound. They jumped from the offices of Marsh & McLennan, the insurance company; from the offices of Cantor Fitzgerald, the bond-trading company; from Windows on the World, the restaurant on the 106th and 107th floors -- the top. For more than an hour and a half, they streamed from the building, one after another, consecutively rather than en masse, as if each individual required the sight of another individual jumping before mustering the courage to jump himself or herself. One photograph, taken at a distance, shows people jumping in perfect sequence, like parachutists, forming an arc composed of three plummeting people, evenly spaced. Indeed, there were reports that some tried parachuting, before the force generated by their fall ripped the drapes, the tablecloths, the desperately gathered fabric, from their hands. They were all, obviously, very much alive on their way down, and their way down lasted an approximate count of ten seconds. They were all, obviously, not just killed when they landed but destroyed, in body though not, one prays, in soul. One hit a fireman on the ground and killed him; the fireman's body was anointed by Father Mychal Judge, whose own death, shortly thereafter, was embraced as an example of martyrdom after the photograph -- the redemptive tableau -- of firefighters carrying his body from the rubble made its way around the world.

Read more: The Falling Man - Tom Junod - 9/11 Suicide Photograph - Esquire

:(

annie, i stuck with it...

perhaps.....people should end this thread with this video:

perhaps then they may understand a "day of rage"

America Attacked 9 1 1

you got it. That was the video I showed my middle schoolers. Truly bones, anyone in our age cohort would be shocked by their questions/commentaries, but we need to keep in mind they really haven't memories of 'before.'

One of the students asked if 'children were killed?' When I explained about the planes and passengers the reaction was that 'mom's couldn't have meant that.' When I linked to exploding strollers, the kids were shocked.

Another pontificated that terrorism is done, another plane has arisen. Seems his parents have told him that with Bush out of office, the terrorists are history.

Problem is, the kids believe it. Bigger problem, so do the 'working class parents.'

Forum List

Back