How Far Back In American History Are Blacks Allowed To Go Back?

MarcATL

Diamond Member
Aug 12, 2009
I've seen the sentiment of "stop looking back into the past" , "oh, you're only hampering yourself", "look forward, don't look back", "you're in chains", etc. etc. spewed on USMB by almost exclusively rightwing whites.

All I want to know is, what year is it OK to go back to? What date is the cut off for starting American history will make whites happy?

If you have the exact time as well, that would be a bonus.

More oppresturbation.

cotton.jpg

I've seen the sentiment of "stop looking back into the past" , "oh, you're only hampering yourself", "look forward, don't look back", "you're in chains", etc. etc. spewed on USMB by almost exclusively rightwing whites.

All I want to know is, what year is it OK to go back to? What date is the cut off for starting American history will make whites happy?

Far as I know, 1534. Unless you want to count South America and the Caribbean which would date to slightly earlier.

In 1534 a Spanish fleet arrived in what is now South Carolina with, I think about 150 captured Africans. Happily, those captives rose up and overthrew their captors and escaped to live with the indigenous tribes. Those that followed were not so successful, though they tried.

What a sniveling baby you are.

Actually one of the first blacks that settled here had black slaves of his own after he worked off his indentured time.

Anthony Johnson, in fact he fucked a fellow african indentured worker out of the rest of his life. John Casor ended up being the first black man ruled slave for life.

So much for "brotherhood". If you're going to whine about slavery, let it be known that the first black man that was regarded as chattel was made so because of a black man.

The Horrible Fate of John Casor, The First Black Man to be Declared Slave for Life in America | Smart News | Smithsonian

Johnson served out his contract and went on to run his own tobacco farm and hold his own indentured servants, among them Casor. At this time, the colony of Virginia had very few black people in it: Johnson was one of the original 20.

After a disagreement about whether or not Casor's contract was lapsed, a court ruled in favor of Johnson and Casor saw the status of his indenture turn into slavery, where he—not his contract—was considered property. Casor claimed that he had served his indenture of “seaven or Eight years” and seven more years on top of that. The court sided with Johnson, who claimed that Casor was his slave for life.

Read more: The Horrible Fate of John Casor, The First Black Man to be Declared Slave for Life in America | Smart News | Smithsonian
Give the gift of Smithsonian magazine for only $12! Give the gift of Smithsonian
Follow us: @SmithsonianMag on Twitter

I don’t see any reason to cut off our understanding of history. I think the sticky point is when the actions of past generations are used to accuse those in modern times who do not share those sentiments.

Yes racism still exists today and should be condemned. Yes, oppression from the past has had negative socio-economic impacts on blacks and minority communities. The question is what is the best way to move forward... thoughts?

I don't know but as a female I'm going back to day one and amazed how long it took to give us the right to vote, over 100 years. Then only the rich voted. Reading our history is not pretty.

Learning history does not prevent one from attending school and having a career.

As far back as gays and women and every other oppressed or wronged minority has been allowed to go who have AT LEAST as much if not more to complain about. Blacks won't find true liberation and equality by continually looking into the past, they will only find it by coming into the present and looking forward as a viable and valuable part of society rather than persisting in staying isolated, apart and playing the eternal victim.

I don't know but as a female I'm going back to day one and amazed how long it took to give us the right to vote, over 100 years. Then only the rich voted. Reading our history is not pretty.
Blessed be the Lord now that any idiot above the age of retard can vote.

Actually one of the first blacks that settled here had black slaves of his own after he worked off his indentured time.

Anthony Johnson, in fact he fucked a fellow african indentured worker out of the rest of his life. John Casor ended up being the first black man ruled slave for life.

So much for "brotherhood". If you're going to whine about slavery, let it be known that the first black man that was regarded as chattel was made so because of a black man.

The Horrible Fate of John Casor, The First Black Man to be Declared Slave for Life in America | Smart News | Smithsonian

Johnson served out his contract and went on to run his own tobacco farm and hold his own indentured servants, among them Casor. At this time, the colony of Virginia had very few black people in it: Johnson was one of the original 20.

After a disagreement about whether or not Casor's contract was lapsed, a court ruled in favor of Johnson and Casor saw the status of his indenture turn into slavery, where he—not his contract—was considered property. Casor claimed that he had served his indenture of “seaven or Eight years” and seven more years on top of that. The court sided with Johnson, who claimed that Casor was his slave for life.

Read more: The Horrible Fate of John Casor, The First Black Man to be Declared Slave for Life in America | Smart News | Smithsonian
Give the gift of Smithsonian magazine for only $12! Give the gift of Smithsonian
Follow us: @SmithsonianMag on Twitter
Great.
So one black guy, during the age when slavery was pretty acceptable everywhere, threw a shit fit when his indentured servant was contractually freed and left. He took it to civil court and got him back "for life."
How does that answer MarcATL's question again?

As far back as gays and women and every other oppressed or wronged minority has been allowed to go who have AT LEAST as much if not more to complain about. Blacks won't find true liberation and equality by continually looking into the past, they will only find it by coming into the present and looking forward as a viable and valuable part of society rather than persisting in staying isolated, apart and playing the eternal victim.
I'm a woman and I bitch quite a bit about women's issues, but I don't feel as though I've got anywhere NEAR as much to complain about as the African Americans in this country.

Marc -- you need look back no further than that time in your life when you first considered yourself an utter failure and needed a phony excuse to explain it.

I'm a woman and I bitch quite a bit about women's issues, but I don't feel as though I've got anywhere NEAR as much to complain about as the African Americans in this country.
Which initiatives or policy changes do you think would be the most needed/impactful?

Great.
So one black guy, during the age when slavery was pretty acceptable everywhere, threw a shit fit when his indentured servant was contractually freed and left. He took it to civil court and got him back "for life."
How does that answer MarcATL's question again?

It goes to the very first black people in the US, the begining of their history, that's how it answer's Marx's-Asshole's question.

Forum List

Back