How Facebook Tracks You Across The Web...

paulitician

Platinum Member
Oct 7, 2011
In recent weeks, Facebook has been wrangling with the Federal Trade Commission over whether the social media website is violating users' privacy by making public too much of their personal information.

Far more quietly, another debate is brewing over a different side of online privacy: what Facebook is learning about those who visit its website.

Facebook officials are now acknowledging that the social media giant has been able to create a running log of the web pages that each of its 800 million or so members has visited during the previous 90 days. Facebook also keeps close track of where millions more non-members of the social network go on the Web, after they visit a Facebook web page for any reason.

To do this, the company relies on tracking cookie technologies similar to the controversial systems used by Google, Adobe, Microsoft, Yahoo and others in the online advertising industry, says Arturo Bejar, Facebook's engineering director.

Read more...

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/story/2011-11-15/facebook-privacy-tracking-data/51225112/1
http://drudgereport.com/

Last edited:
Google,Twitter,and Facebook also work very closely with the Government. You are being watched people. Don't kid yourselves.

I don't have a political opinion that I would not sign my name to and nail to the statehouse door, FB and the government be damned.

It's nearly impossible to get through to teenage girls or people with the emotional maturity of teenage girls that posting personal information in facebook is a bad idea. The government monitors key words or phrases just as they monitor this forum. The facebook "friends" can also forward information to their friends and so on. The teacher who joked about teaching animals in a zoo lost her job because her 300 facebook "friends" forwarded her comment until it came to the attention of the school.

It's nearly impossible to get through to teenage girls or people with the emotional maturity of teenage girls that posting personal information in facebook is a bad idea. The government monitors key words or phrases just as they monitor this forum. The facebook "friends" can also forward information to their friends and so on. The teacher who joked about teaching animals in a zoo lost her job because her 300 facebook "friends" forwarded her comment until it came to the attention of the school.

Yes and they all work very closely with the Government. If they're using this tracking technology,don't you think the Government is too? Or Facebook,Google,and Twitter just do the tracking for them. Not sure how it really works. But recording your site visits from the previous 90 Days just seems wrong & creepy to me.

If you don't like facebook, don't use it. There's no constitutional right to facebook.

LOL, as if cookies were something new. Put your tin foil hat away, save it for a real crisis.

If you're so worried about it, turn your cookies off. You're so in touch with technology, you should know how to do that.

Google,Twitter,and Facebook also work very closely with the Government. You are being watched people. Don't kid yourselves.

I'm more concerned about the amount of time some people seem to spend on them. Go out and have a real life and you don't have to worry about anyone spying on you.

The truly web savvy knew this already and know how to be anonymous when the situation calls for it.

I don't waste time on Facebook. If I need to communicate with someone I call them or meet them. And I tried not to allow my girls on such sites when they were young. Todays youth are losing social skills to the internet.

Here is what they would have learned about me in the last five days

I have spent 4 days reading the "Real history that reads like Alien Space bats" in Alt history..com
I have watched 20 episodes of the russian TV show [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrdYFqClOlw&feature=related"]"Father's Daughters."[/ame] on You tube
I watched two episodes of "[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2rVOFqOKQA&feature=feedu"]Peggy Teaches Chinese[/ame]" on You Tube.
I watched the whole of "Lie to Me" K drama on MySouju
I visited the Oregon Employment Division web site twice a day and filed out a bunch of online applications
I worked on my online novel off and on and read through the thing as I made edits.
and I was here just to much, but spent most of my time posting lolcats and youtube videos to be much of a Threat to The One.

If there is an FBI agent out there watching me, I am sure he is close to suicidal and is wishing he had got a job analyzing urine samples instead.

I'm more concerned about the amount of time some people seem to spend on them. Go out and have a real life and you don't have to worry about anyone spying on you.

I hear ya but you would still have to worry about being spied on. Because you are being spied on.

Forum List

Back