How effective anxiety meds suppose to be?

Smoke a joint daily. I suggest smoking it AFTER your work day is done

Unlike the crap your doctor is giving you pot is non-toxic and it works*

*(unless you're one of those folks for whom pot causes anxiety, of course. Then DON'T smoke it)

dosage is increased cause you are building a resistance to them.....you need to try something else...
what clears your head? art will normally do that.....makes one side of the brain work and lets the other side rest....

i know that sounds sillie and easy but try it...doctors use drugs cause that is what they know....
a good smell will help...lavendar relaxes....and a hot shower works wonders for me (begins to claw at dry skin)

Bolded comments are true story!

I grow my own lavender (never knew how many types there were until I started!) My lavender is always in demand.

Valerian Root also works wonder...but is not effective until the body and mind are completely free of xanax which can take months.

xanax SUxxxx!

I don't think i would recommend smoking a joint. Many jobs do drug testing or if he/she wrecked his car or something, then there is drug testing. That just would not be a good idea.
But, part of the component of anxiety may be biochemical but a lot has to do with how we deal and our coping strategies. Kind of the glass half full vs half empty thing.

I think medication is a great thing. Very effective and useful when used properly. Sometimes this backlash prevents people from taking something that will really help them and make their lives better.

I have situational panic attacks. They happen when I have to stop at red lights when driving. Not every red light...just some. Some intersections cause me great anxiety for some reason. I can't stand being the first car in line at the light. I feel like I'm about to fall off the edge of a cliff.

My panic attacks started when I left home and went to college. All that stress...plus, I smoked marijuana for the first time. In fact, the first really bad panic attack I ever had was when I was stoned. I think it did something to my brain.

The panic attacks were general when they first started...they would happen anywhere, anytime. As the years went on they became mainly situational...when trapped in heavy traffic or at red lights at some intersections.

I take no medications, refuse to. Have no faith in the medical community whatsoever when it comes to treatment of this. They could care less about the side effects their damn drugs might have on me, whereas I care very much.

My condition has improved a lot over the years, but I avoid those intersections that are stressful to me. My husband is like a talisman, if he is in the car with me I'm generally okay.

One of the greatest improvements I ever saw was when I greatly reduced my caffeine intake. It was remarkable. I certainly hope those posting here who have anxiety or panic problems are not consuming very much caffeine! If so, cut it out and see what happens. ;)

Last edited:
Why don't you "have faith" in the medical community? Doctors and nurses go into that because most of them sincerely want to help people. And, you are telling me that if you break your leg and the bone is sticking through your skin that you aren't going to go to the hospital? Yeah, right. I am sure you will have faith in them then.
As for mental illness and other conditions, it is an imperfect science. And every medication has side effects. You find what works for you and manage the side effects. And, if it doesnt'work for you, then don't take it. But, don't presuppose that this isn't effective for others or that medical science isn't trying to alleviate these conditions.
But, i do agree we all have to do our part as well such as changing our lifestyle, reducing caffeine and the like.

Why don't you "have faith" in the medical community? Doctors and nurses go into that because most of them sincerely want to help people. And, you are telling me that if you break your leg and the bone is sticking through your skin that you aren't going to go to the hospital? Yeah, right. I am sure you will have faith in them then.
As for mental illness and other conditions, it is an imperfect science. And every medication has side effects. You find what works for you and manage the side effects. And, if it doesnt'work for you, then don't take it. But, don't presuppose that this isn't effective for others or that medical science isn't trying to alleviate these conditions.
But, i do agree we all have to do our part as well such as changing our lifestyle, reducing caffeine and the like.

You're right, psychiatry/psychology is an imperfect "science." Doctors and nurses are human, they're not infallible. Some are much more competent than others, just like people in all fields. And I don't want to be the guinea pig. My condition has improved greatly over the years, without medication. In fact, people I know who take medication don't seem any better off than me. Less so, even, because they're not thrilled with the idea of being on medication. They ALWAYS seem to say...it's a very small dose. Yeah, right.

I go to the doctor and I take medications if I feel I have to. When I thought my blood pressure was getting too high I went on a diet, etc. Last thing I would do is take medication, but I would if I had to. Turns out my blood pressure monitor was just old and inaccurate. Got a new one, problem solved. : ) But I did lose some weight in the process, so that was good! :)

I had a root canal a couple of years ago and the dentist prescribed pain meds. I filled the prescription then read the warnings. OMG! I called the dentist and told him I wasn't going to take such a horrible medication because of a stupid root canal. We finally agreed I could just take a little Bayer aspirin for inflammation. Which was more than enough.

Experiment on someone else, not me.

Last edited:
Are they supposed to stop all the anxiety or what. Ive been on paxil 20 mg and it hasnt done anything for my anxiety which iexperience all day long.

Get some Xanax. That will stop your anxiety.

Pot helps, too. Though it does make a minority of people more anxious, so start with only a small amount.

Are they supposed to stop all the anxiety or what. Ive been on paxil 20 mg and it hasnt done anything for my anxiety which iexperience all day long.

So did you ask your doctor, the one who prescribed the paxil, about this? They're supposed to be the experts. Surely you've told your doctor it's not working, right?

How long has this anxiety been going on? You don't take any caffeine (as in coffee), or other stimulants, do you? If so, cut it out RIGHT NOW! Switch to decaf.

What's going on in your life? Do you have a lot of stress factors, a lot of problems?

When your doctor prescribed paxil, did they ask anything about caffeine or stress factors in your life? Just wondering.

Once, when I told my doctor about my panic attacks, he gave me a free sample of Welbutrin. He said to try it and if I liked it he'd write me a prescription. I found a discussion board where a whole bunch of panic/anxiety sufferers said that Welbutrin had made them worse. WORSE!!!!!! Yet my doctor had handed me a free prescription like it was breath mints or something.

Take care of yourself. Do your research.

Last edited:

Pot helps, too. Though it does make a minority of people more anxious, so start with only a small amount.

I think it was pot that created my panic syndrome in the first place. Anything that has any chance of making a person worse should be avoided. It's not worth it.

I think it was pot that created my panic syndrome in the first place. Anything that has any chance of making a person worse should be avoided. It's not worth it.

Everything has some chance of making a person worse, so avoid all things.

But - since you have tried it, you thus have gained the right to knock it.

I'm just sharing my insights. I feel for people who have anxiety or panic problems, and I want them to get better. That's my main goal in sharing my thoughts.

But, hey, any reason to justify smoking weed, right? Right on, man.

Getting drunk used to help my anxiety. I never had a panic attack while drunk. That doesn't mean drinking was a good solution, not at all. And now that I've quit drinking completely, my anxiety is better, not worse. I think that while drinking would alleviate the immediate anxiety, it was making the overall problem worse. That's not the kind of solution you want.

Last edited:

I'm just sharing my insights. I feel for people who have anxiety or panic problems, and I want them to get better. That's my main goal in sharing my thoughts.

For me it relieve anxiety and nausea almost instantly.

My point is that your statement: "Anything that has any chance of making a person worse should be avoided. " with regards to pot does not jive well with the fact that most prescription drugs have the possibility to cause all sorts of bad results, so should we avoid all of them as well?

My point is that your statement: "Anything that has any chance of making a person worse should be avoided. " with regards to pot does not jive well with the fact that most prescription drugs have the possibility to cause all sorts of bad results, so should we avoid all of them as well?

Yep, if at all possible, avoid prescription drugs. If there is any way to avoid them, avoid them. Such as, if you are starting to get high blood pressure and you're overweight, lose weight first and see if that helps before taking drugs. As well as modifying diet, etc.

I'm 59 years old and take no prescription drugs on a regular basis. I avoid them if at all possible. I can't remember when I last took a prescription drug...I think it was an antibiotic, about 12 years ago.

Yep, if at all possible, avoid prescription drugs.

Of course its always possible to not take prescription drugs.

OohPooPaDoo, you're right, a person never HAS to take prescription drugs. Of course, in some cases, they might die if they don't. That's the kind of situation in which taking them would be worthwhile to me. ;)

Sometimes prescription drugs are warranted. I just think people jump into taking them way too easily and at times when it's not necessary. The medical community and the giant pharmaceutical companies certainly contribute to this.

But in the end...to each his own.

This post stands as a glaring example of why you shouldn't solicit medical advice from the internet.

OP: You should talk to an actual doctor (your actual doctor) for advice. Not ask a group of people who are going to tell you everything from "smoke pot" to "there's no such thing as mental illnesses".

This post stands as a glaring example of why you shouldn't solicit medical advice from the internet.

OP: You should talk to an actual doctor (your actual doctor) for advice. Not ask a group of people who are going to tell you everything from "smoke pot" to "there's no such thing as mental illnesses".

Right on! I don't understand why they don't just contact their doctor and tell him "it's not working, I'm still anxious all day long!" and see what the doctor has to say. Who knows, maybe it takes a certain amount of time to kick in.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back