How effective anxiety meds suppose to be?

xanax is highly addictive

I can honestly say I know I am not an addict, but I do feel better knowing I have them within reach.
Anxiety attacks and panic attacks and just living with a nervous upset feeling in your tummy, is not an easy thing to do, nor is it fun~
I seriously only take mine when I feel I just REALLY need to....I do not just pop them on a whim.

correct me if i am wrong......this is what all script addicts say

Smoke dope. Its safer and more effective than most anti-axiety meds

Additionally, unlike every other drug your doctor can give you for anxiety, pot has no toxic effects.

Sure it makes you a criminal.

But which would you rather be: a healthy criminal who commits a misdemeanor every day, or a sickly dupe of BIG PHARMA who will migrate from one anti-anxiety med to another because eventually none of them actually work?

Let's see, cigarette smoking has been determined to be so toxic that the government wants the tobacco companies to feature horror pictures of cancer patients on the pack. What do you think inhaling unregulated burning weeds does to your insides not to mention your brain? Nicotine isn't what gives you cancer. Nicotine keeps you addicted but the constant irritation from all the stuff in the smoke wears down your system.

we all miss 'ludes

I don't ~LoL~
I have never tried 'ludes.....nor have I ever tried heroin, cocaine, LSD, marijuana..or any of the other many feel good drugs.
Not one day in my life have I ever smoked a cigarette either.......and I don't like beer.
Boy, I am boring aren't I?? :lol:
I do like an occasional mixed (social) drink however~ (pina coladas are my favorite!!!)

xanax is highly addictive

I can honestly say I know I am not an addict, but I do feel better knowing I have them within reach.
Anxiety attacks and panic attacks and just living with a nervous upset feeling in your tummy, is not an easy thing to do, nor is it fun~
I seriously only take mine when I feel I just REALLY need to....I do not just pop them on a whim.

correct me if i am wrong......this is what all script addicts say

I know what you're saying and I understand how it may seem.....to others....who are on the outside, looking in, at me and my life.
But...I am prescribed 90 pills per month, to be taken 3 per day.
Really truth.......most months...I have a few extra pills left in the bottle.

The Columbine shooters were allegedly doped by the school system. The fine print in prescription meds designed to alter behavior and perception always warn about "thoughts of suicide" (thoughts of murder?) . The dirty little secret is that you won't find happiness or stability in a bottle of pills.

I don't like medications so I meditate and exercise. It helps some but nothing will keep you cool and calm all the time. You have to deal with life as it comes.

Meditation, exercise and a healthy diet for me with a big side order of positivity in the thoughts I think and the words I use. It works, if one is willing to go that route. Once dependent on Ativan to get through my day, only used now if I want to sleep for 10-12 hours ... which is rare.

For sleeping......which is something I have issues with as well....my doctor prescribed me Ambien.
But I am only to take it if I am able to get 7 or 8 hours of sleep........that's most of the time not possible for me, but I do have those too, in case I feel the urge to "get some serious sleep".
Actually, I think I am afraid more of taking pills to help me go to sleep....than I am taking the Xanax :eusa_eh:

Just a few days ago I saw a commercial for Ambien. As I sat there listening to all the side effects I thought to myself .... thank God I don't have a problem sleeping.

Meditation, exercise and a healthy diet for me with a big side order of positivity in the thoughts I think and the words I use. It works, if one is willing to go that route. Once dependent on Ativan to get through my day, only used now if I want to sleep for 10-12 hours ... which is rare.

For sleeping......which is something I have issues with as well....my doctor prescribed me Ambien.
But I am only to take it if I am able to get 7 or 8 hours of sleep........that's most of the time not possible for me, but I do have those too, in case I feel the urge to "get some serious sleep".
Actually, I think I am afraid more of taking pills to help me go to sleep....than I am taking the Xanax :eusa_eh:

Just a few days ago I saw a commercial for Ambien. As I sat there listening to all the side effects I thought to myself .... thank God I don't have a problem sleeping.

Yes, sometimes the side effects are far worse it seems (at times) than the original problem one has, that has them ending up taking the 'cure'.......
I only take an Ambien if I have gone 3 or more nights with less than 3 hours sleep.
Ambien isn't something I take often at all........like I said before, I take Xanax more than Ambien.
I wish I didn't have this problem sleeping.....but it seems my mind won't shut down once my head hits the pillow. It's like my brain thinks once I go to bed, it needs to be in over-drive and the thoughts power on *sigh*
It sucks I tell ya.....sucks :(

Studies explore how nicotine may help those with Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, depression...
:confused:
On Maryland tobacco farms, turning a tradition into potential health benefits
November 14,`11 - Warning: The subject of this exploration will constrict your blood vessels, choke your windpipe and dispatch you to an early grave, 5 million of you a year. The most lucrative crop the Americas have ever seen, it kept the British at bay, kept the enslaved entrapped, kept Hollywood sexy. Until it didn’t anymore.
Stipulation: Deep bows to the great public health triumph of wrestling Big Tobacco to the mat and changing human behavior. Never before were millions persuaded to give up a highly pleasurable, relatively cheap habit because it was bad for them. And never since. But: Tobacco itself refuses to die. It’s stubborn. It’s meant to grow here. The seeds are tiny as a flea and germinate like crazy. In less than a month, you can have a robust green crop that’s good for much more than smoking. You can grow vaccines in it. Extract protein from it. Make drugs from it.

Ten years after Maryland became the only state to use its tobacco settlement money to pay hundreds of farmers to quit growing the evil sot-weed, it’s turning out that tobacco has redemptive virtues. Nobody needed to bother exploiting them before; the stuff was so fabulously successful for 400 years as a vice. Even nicotine, the natural and highly addictive chemical in tobacco, has its benefits. People smoked in part because a cigarette could calm you down and pep you up. Now research studies are exploring exactly how nicotine may safely halt cognitive decline and help those with Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, depression, schizophrenia and attention problems. The pure nicotine in the smoking cessation patch used in these studies is extracted from an American product that American farmers know how to grow.

If you drive around Southern Maryland, you can still spy it. Amid the corn mazes and alpaca petting opportunities, the pick-your-own peppers and the thick crop of McMansions, there’ll be a couple acres of plants that look like soldiers — upright, sturdy, tall as a man, with bushy leaves bigger than the blade on a ceiling fan. You’ll come upon a weathered barn, with some of its boards missing. But on closer examination, you’ll see the slats are opened with a precise symmetry. They let in the air that cures the tobacco hung on its stalks up in the rafters. Inside the barn, the sheaves, as it has been said, feel like velvet and smell like money.

MORE

Are they supposed to stop all the anxiety or what. Ive been on paxil 20 mg and it hasnt done anything for my anxiety which iexperience all day long.

Imo, anxiety meds are like using a bandaid over a bleeding wound. It's better to treat the problem than to alleviate the symptoms. Sometimes this may take years, but it's worth it.

Medication is essential for SOME people. They can function quite normally without, whereas they deteriorate without it.

Some forms of mental illness have biological causes.

what forms of mental illness have a biological cause ??

Depression and anxiety/panic can be problems with a shortage of seratonin in he brain. It's as real as diabetes. All of these "helpful solutions" are probably as helpful as telling someone to get a hold of themselves. If someone has a problem like these, they must see a psychiatrist to find the help they need.. Family doctors are not equipped with the complete knowledge of updates to help their patients with such problems.

Thank goodness scientists have come up with the solutions for such problems. Drugs can be very effective in treating people where their life would be miserable without them. It's a shame that some people refuse to go to them for silly stigmas they attach to that kind of help.

Instead, they make jokes like taking "ludes" and other illegal drugs that cannot be helpful and very dangerous. Best of luck to those victims of anxiety/panic and depression. I wish you well.

Atleast anxiety medicines are much safer and effective then those illegal drugs....

Wrong.

I would have to respectively disagree with you, Editec. Although I don't have personal experience with illegal drugs, enough has been reported that any drug without the supervision of the doctor is dangerous.

Why would anyone with problems to begin with ask for trouble with an uncontrollable addiction?

Both of my parents had difficulties with depression and it saddens me greatly to have seen them try to cope without medical intervention. Seeing the proper doctors for such illness was so taboo, they never sought help. It can destroy a family and make it so incredibly difficult for the victims.

Thank God, it is not considered a "defeat" to seek help these days.

You should not only be relying on medication. You should be receiving counseling, talk therapy, as well. You need to learn strategies to deal with your anxiety and to work it through, understand that we all experience anxiety and learn effective coping methods in conjunction with medication. I think one should always receive cognitive or talk therapy type counseling before or in conjunction with medication. But, i don't think medication only is the solution as you need to work out the mind/body/spirit connection.

Forum List

Back