How Early Did You Start Earning $$$?

I had a hamburger and hot dog stand with a friend of mine when I was a kid.

My stepfather built it.

Came to mind because of this thread:

http://www.usmessageboard.com/politics/127718-sucking-all-of-the-joy-out-of-life-4.html#post2586263

When we were kids my brother, our friends, and myself came up with all sorts of ways to make money. Our earliest was a kool-aid stand. Yes, really! We started out at 2 cents a cup, by the time we were 7 we're selling same stuff for .15. We also sold candy, with a 50% mark up. Yes, we knew our neighbors!

I was 7 when I got a job putting IGA grocer flyers on door knobs. I had to roll and rubberband them. I earned $4 a week, which was much better than the .25 my allowance was.

Around 9 we spent the summer washing cars for our neighbors, one guy gave us $10, Mr. Plumery, I still think of you fondly, RIP. The rest, I think paid $3.

I think it was the same summer my best friend and I baked bread with my mom. It was SOOOO good. We decided to sell it. So we went around for about 5 blocks taking orders and collecting in advance. We made like 10 loaves and that was that. We forgot to write the names and addresses. :coffee:

We cut lawns and sold boxed cards from the comic book backs. Actually paid for a canoe trip to Canadian Waters back in jr. high with that money.

I left the world of self-employment at 14, got a waitress job. Really excellent money! #32 on the list from Chicago Magazine. ;)

At the age of 7, I babysat the next door neighbors son so she could get some work done. I made a nickel for keeping him busy in the sandbox for an hour.

I did the kool aid stand thing but I never made any real money at it as I kept drinking the koolaid in the hot sun, and of course, being a softy, I was giving it to my friends and others who had no money for free. I'm not a good business person. I have "sucker" written across my forehead.

Berry picking and babysitting at 12.

Last edited:
12 years old. Largest paper route in the county.300 papers :cool:
That led to selling firewood.....a lot of firewood.
That later got me mechanic and landscape jobs.
Never looked back or really wanted a ''job" job.
That gave me money to escape the Bibble Belt and setup shop in Floridastan.
That let me travel and find out where I really wanted to live.
You guys booted me out early due to your "knowledgeable" choices made at the voting booth in 2000 and when you repeated the idiocy in 04, I hauled ass.

THANK YOU !

I did basic construction work for my family at a young age (7-14), which paid pitiful wages ($80 for laying a brick path), but was better than doing unpaid chores.

I did basic construction work for my family at a young age (7-14), which paid pitiful wages ($80 for laying a brick path), but was better than doing unpaid chores.

I did that stuff and I didn't get paid.....even did it for the neighbors, didn't get paid there either. Either your parents were rich, or you were an only child.

I got an allowance at like 10, but I started babysitting at 12. I used to pick two kids up three days a week from their other babysitter and would stay with them until their parents got home. My first real job was as an umpire at 15, then as a skate instructor all before I was 16. My parents gave me enough money during high school that I probably didn't have to work, but I liked clothes, and if I had my own money I could buy more. lol

Forum List

Back