How does this matter?

If the judge thought he was a flight risk, he should have made the bail higher. Now I think it's too late. Though there is a good chance if the judge does revoke bail, that Zimmerman may be killed in jail. $10,000 is a lot to someone in prison. I still don't understand why the law hasn't dealt with the NBPs on that.

How does it matter that others are adding Zimmerman in regards his bond?

Because the amount of bail is predicated upon one’s assets – and if the funds from the website were available to Zimmerman, those funds should have been considered when determining the amount of bail.

Because the amount of bail is predicated upon one’s assets – and if the funds from the website were available to Zimmerman, those funds should have been considered when determining the amount of bail.

Yes, and Zimmerman now has $200,000 in assets which were not disclosed to the Court, or so it is reported.

Yes, and Zimmerman now has $200,000 in assets which were not disclosed to the Court, or so it is reported.

Did he have that money when bail was set?

if it was collected for his defense.....I am not sure thats the same.

Whether one gets bail is based not on ones assets but on whether one is a flight risk or a danger to the community. Or can you cite case law that states for bail ones assets determine the amount. In this State ones assets oir lack there of have nothing to do with the amount of bail. the crime and the danger to the community or flight risk are all that matters.

Last I checked one can not be held in jail just because of money. Although I just saw a story on some one jailed for not paying a debt, which is Unconstitutional.

if it was collected for his defense.....I am not sure thats the same.

its absolutely not the same.

Whether one gets bail is based not on ones assets but on whether one is a flight risk or a danger to the community. Or can you cite case law that states for bail ones assets determine the amount. In this State ones assets oir lack there of have nothing to do with the amount of bail. the crime and the danger to the community or flight risk are all that matters.

Last I checked one can not be held in jail just because of money. Although I just saw a story on some one jailed for not paying a debt, which is Unconstitutional.

Ive heard two conflicting stories so Im asking for clarification here.

Prior to arrest, Zimmerman supposedly vanished. His lawyers said they left his case because they could not contact him.

The police however said that Zimmerman had been in contact with them the entire time and they knew exactly where he was.

can anyone confirm the police part of that story?

Personally I think that goes straight to the heart of the "flight risk" issue. If he had disappeared completely, he would be a flight risk. if he stayed in contact with the police, then he wouldnt be considered a flight risk.

If the judge thought he was a flight risk, he should have made the bail higher. Now I think it's too late. Though there is a good chance if the judge does revoke bail, that Zimmerman may be killed in jail. $10,000 is a lot to someone in prison. I still don't understand why the law hasn't dealt with the NBPs on that.

I agree. Zimmermans guilt or innocence aside, the bounty should have sparked immediate arrests of those offering it.

But Ive also heard, from a person not from a news story, that the bounty was a bullshit story. It was never offered. Until I can confirm it, its just a rumor. But because theres been no arrests, Im left wondering.

ETA: Oh and Spike Lee and anyone else who tweeted or posted what they thought was Zimmermans home address should also be arrested for Conspiracy to commit murder, IMO.

Last edited:

Bail was set at 150k. A bonding company paid that amount and was paid 10% of that or 15k which is a fee to the family and is non-refundable to them. If Zim flees, then the bonding company loses a net 135k. The bonding company has that much incentive to make sure he does not flee and is present for trial.

If the bond had been set at 200k, it would've cost the family 20k for their nonrefundable 10%. To wipe out the 200k the internet contributions produced - to require the same penalty being imposed, if a penalty is the rationale - the original amount would've required a bond of $2,150,000.

Ones assest don't necessarily determine the amount, that is up to the Judge, but assets are a factor that the Judge can consider and the defendant under Florida law is required to provide a full and truthful accounting of financial resources. Failure to do so is a crime in an unto itself. Financial resources alone probably don't determine eligibility for bail, but they are a factor in determining how much bail will be.

903.035 Applications for bail; information provided; hearing on application for modification; penalty for providing false or misleading information or omitting material information.—
(1)(a) All information provided by a defendant, in connection with any application for or attempt to secure bail, to any court, court personnel, or individual soliciting or recording such information for the purpose of evaluating eligibility for, or securing, bail for the defendant, under circumstances such that the defendant knew or should have known that the information was to be used in connection with an application for bail, shall be accurate, truthful, and complete without omissions to the best knowledge of the defendant.
(b) The failure to comply with the provisions of paragraph (a) may result in the revocation or modification of bail.
(2) An application for modification of bail on any felony charge must be heard by a court in person, at a hearing with the defendant present, and with at least 3 hours’ notice to the state attorney.
(3) Any person who intentionally provides false or misleading material information or intentionally omits material information in connection with an application for bail or for modification of bail is guilty of a misdemeanor or felony which is one degree less than that of the crime charged for which bail is sought, but which in no event is greater than a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.

903.046 Purpose of and criteria for bail determination.—
(1) The purpose of a bail determination in criminal proceedings is to ensure the appearance of the criminal defendant at subsequent proceedings and to protect the community against unreasonable danger from the criminal defendant.
(2) When determining whether to release a defendant on bail or other conditions, and what that bail or those conditions may be, the court shall consider:
(a) The nature and circumstances of the offense charged.
(b) The weight of the evidence against the defendant.
(c) The defendant’s family ties, length of residence in the community, employment history, financial resources, and mental condition.
<<SNIP>>​

903.035 - Applications for bail information provided hearing on application for modification penalty for providing false or misleading information or omitting material information. - 2011 Florida Statutes - The Florida Senate
903.046 - Purpose of and criteria for bail determination. - 2011 Florida Statutes - The Florida Senate

>>>>

New Topics

Forum List

Back