How does the lie that it is only a few bad cops actually work?

I’ve been busy over the last couple days with company visiting. So I’ve read the replies, but didn’t respond. Let’s summarize.

1) The Police themselves admit that Police Perjury happens, but argue they have to in order to get guilty convictions for bad guys.

2) Police Supporters argue that this does not happen because the Cops are awesome. Anyone who disagrees with the cops, must be a criminal.

3) Estimates from Judges and Lawyers who practice criminal law say that these lies happen in about 1 case out of five. So if there are one hundred criminal cases in court near you today, the police are probably lying in about twenty of them.

All the flood of videos showing misconduct are just multiple videos of the same bad cop. I’d give this a number, but it doesn’t deserve one. That is just head in the sand.

The defenders of the cops are really the embodiment of a radical version of the supposed three wise monkeys. Instead of evil however, they refuse to see, hear or speak of police misconduct.

It just doesn’t. The lie does not stand up to even a moment of critical thought. We are told that it is 1% of cops who give the others a bad name. But if that were true, then that one bad cop would live in terror that the other 99 would find out about him.

Anne Frank and her family and friends were not out shopping and living. They were hiding in a small attic to try and survive because the Nazi’s were hunting the Jews. The minority were being hunted by the vast majority.

So even if it was not 1% of cops that were bad. Even if it was 10% the bad ones would be terrified of the other 90% wouldn’t they?

Yet we are told that bad cops somehow intimidate the good ones. That is why the good cops are afraid to speak out about the wrongdoing. Yet how can the minority keep the alleged vast majority in fear?

Now that this lie is destroyed. We move on to the next lie. The cops have to.

This lie says that those damned liberals have put so many hurdles in the way of getting the bad guys off the streets that the cops have to lie and plant evidence to get the guilty.

Nonsense again. Our system is designed to make it hard to send someone to prison. That is true. We have a lot of rules. It is not because we live criminals. It is because we are horrified that we might send an innocent man to prison for a crime they did not commit.

Our founders said that a person can not be deprived of life, liberty, or property without due process of law. They believed in the courts following the rules. They believed there should be a process to deprive us of life, liberty, or property. They believed the courts were to find what happened, and who was responsible. The entire premise of a jury trial is allowing your fellow citizens to determine what the truth is.

That can not happen if the police and prosecutors lie and cheat. Yes. A guilty man may go free. But that is better than an innocent man losing his freedom or his life at the hands of a corrupt system.

Police have stressful jobs is next. Many people have a stressful job and we do not accept the abuses from them. So that lie is nonsense as well.

We hold the rest of society to account why do we ignore the misdeeds of the police? I mean if you come home after a stressful day at work and beat on your wife do you really think she is going to figure you needed to let some steam off?

The funny thing is this. Other than the first excuse the rest of the excuses all admit and acknowledge that the police are corrupt but somehow it is a good thing.

The police are given greater authority than the average citizen. Why hold them to a lower standard than anyone else? At the very least we should hold them to the same standard as everyone else.
Whenever I see a cop, that cop is by him/herself in an automobile (with the exception of various social events) and that cop acts on his/her own. It could be a good cop just doing his/her duty, or a crappy cop who's in a bad mood and wants to take it out on somebody he/she has pulled over. As he/she is acting by him/herself, the other cops aren't around and thus he/she isn't terrified of the other cops and if another cop pulls up, he/she can create any story he/she wants, to the negative of the person pulled over.
As I have a bad habit of being a bit lead-footed, I am pulled over periodically. I keep it friendly and they keep it friendly. I comply with everything the cop says and he/she stays friendly. The end.
If you are given crap every time you are dealt with, the I suggest you take a critical evaluation as to how you behave when you are pulled over.
The moment you start demanding to know why you were pulled over, you are headed down the wrong road. Produce your driver's license and registration, smile and let him/her initiate the conversation. He/she will immediately indicate why you were pulled over, or ask if you know why you were pulled over. Personally, I just say, I was going to fast. Most of the time I get a ticket, on rare occasions, I get off with a warning. No matter. Just sign the paperwork and you're on your way. You can pay the ticket or go to court and challenge it.
If you are finding yourself being beat on by cops, it's because you might want to stop being confrontational at protests.

....once AGAIN, the OP has no proof/evidence/etc to explain or back up whatever point he/she is trying to make .....
..when you make silly claims, you have to provide evidence or your claims are worthless
...if you are talking about police brutality, I've linked/documented many times on USMB how there is not a major, chronic problem of police brutality
...bad cops...????..please define this/etc ...please link some numbers/stats/etc
....there are MILLIONS of calls for police assistance every year...not counting traffic stops
Anne Frank???!!! this is your analogy???!!!!
1% 90% 10% ?????

This lie says that those damned liberals have put so many hurdles in the way of getting the bad guys off the streets that the cops have to lie and plant evidence to get the guilty.
please provide evidence for this stupid crap

most people want the cops to be honest/etc /-----leftist/rightest/Dem/Republican/etc

The police say that perjury by cops happens all the time.

‘Testilying’ by Police: A Stubborn Problem

Perjury is a felony. Felonies are what criminals commit. So who is telling the truth again?

Researchers say it is happening. Researcher Examines Police Perjury as Part of Legal Culture - UConn Today

The courts say it is common enough. One case in five has a lie told by police according to lawyers and judges and they should know.

Everyone admits it happens. But you demand more proof.

How do we fix the police ‘testilying’ problem?

Chiefs of police. Police unions. All of them say that the cops lie. But you need more proof that what is called common by the involved people themselves is actually happening.

What proof would you accept?
None. He will just drag the goal post further.

Pretend the cops don't turn the other way when other cops go over the line is just dumb. I suspect they all are willing to let the line drift on a regular basis. I know for a fact that some do.
fncceo disappeared pretty quickly after never addressing that point.

He'll be back as soon as Hannity tells him how to respond.
The orderlies caught him.

Did you completely misread what I wrote
Do you define a cop witnessing incorrect behaviour by a colleague and neither correcting nor reporting that behaviour as a bad cop?
Possibly, depends on the circumstances. Why are you another one of those idiots that think most cops are bad?

What circumstances could justify a cop witnessing another cops illegal misbehavior, and not doing or saying something about it?
He doesn't want to call for backup and not get it.

Forum List

Back