How does society benefit from welfare?

Minimum wage raises occur not to help people have more, just to maintain a standard of living. That occurs over a long period of time. Frankly, I'm not interested in helping someone maintain a lifetime of under achievement. Minimum wage should have a maximum length of time a person qualifies to receive that pay level.

Society should develop a culture of charity freely given, not a system of government support for an extended period of time.

I've said this before but everyone ignores it and asks again and again and again. Minimum Wage at 40 hours per week should provide enough income for one person to provide an apartment with utilities, food, transportation and medical care with a little extra to pay for clothes and other necessities for himself. I do not think that is unreasonable. My brother, working a mw job back in 1969 was able to get his own apartment (granted he slept on the floor and had lawn furniture in his living room) he was able to buy a new car on payments and take college courses in the evenings. Today on mw, you can't even put a roof over your head. How can anyone get ahead if they can't even survive?

MW jobs are meant for entry job workers to establish a resume and a work ethic. It is to pay for car insurance and possibly prapare for college tuition in the future. It can be used for welfare work requirements. From there, a worker can go to cashiers in stores and restaurant help where they can earn tips and then factory work and vocational training. From the MW jobs any worker can decide their own path. The government has programs up the gazoo.

Who decided that mw jobs are "entry" jobs? When was that decided? Do you have any idea how many mw workers are not people who just entered the workforce? That they aren't living at home and going to high school?

Perhaps my perception is askew. I was sitting here thinking about it. I have seen older people working as bag "boys" and greeters at KMart, so you are probably right. I will have to rethink this. Thank you.

MW jobs are meant for entry job workers to establish a resume and a work ethic. It is to pay for car insurance and possibly prapare for college tuition in the future. It can be used for welfare work requirements. From there, a worker can go to cashiers in stores and restaurant help where they can earn tips and then factory work and vocational training. From the MW jobs any worker can decide their own path. The government has programs up the gazoo.

Who decided that mw jobs are "entry" jobs? When was that decided? Do you have any idea how many mw workers are not people who just entered the workforce? That they aren't living at home and going to high school?

Perhaps my perception is askew. I was sitting here thinking about it. I have seen older people working as bag "boys" and greeters at KMart, so you are probably right. I will have to rethink this. Thank you.

Wow! You're welcome...

The corporate welfare need sto be drastically scaled back as well, which would mean voting against the champion of welfare losers..... Barack Hussein obammy.

Corporate welfare is HUGE. But guess what, corporations have a habit of recycling those welfare dollars back into pols' campaign coffers. Do you need any more hints as to why so much more money is pumped into so-called "corporate" welfare.

And yet you guys are all for the Citizen's United ruling.

Go figure. :confused:

Which "you guys" are you discussing. I am definitely against that ruling. I am firmly against any entity that is not an individual capable of casting a vote having the ability to contribute to any campaign. I have often mentioned my ideas about how funding for political campaigns should be limited. Unions, corporations, and various non-profits, etc, are not welcome to buy government for their benefit.

Minimum wage raises occur not to help people have more, just to maintain a standard of living. That occurs over a long period of time. Frankly, I'm not interested in helping someone maintain a lifetime of under achievement. Minimum wage should have a maximum length of time a person qualifies to receive that pay level.

really? First, you guys say that wages are market driven, now you allude that the minimum wage is just another form if welfare and that itself should be limited.

So...what you are basically saying that anyone who has a strong back and a weak mind doesn't deserve to live a comfortable life?

sorry, I disagree.....and that's just one of the reasons why I'm pro-union. Unions suck, but when you have people continually trying to hurt everyday people....they are a necessary evil.

Minimum wage raises occur not to help people have more, just to maintain a standard of living.

I don't think that's the case. I think it's one of those issues of "fairness." I think the minimum wage law is perceived (by some) to be the government protecting the little guy from the corporation who would like nothing more than to basically enslave their workers with a $1 per hour wage. As i alluded to earlier, that's only really possible if all the companies that sell a product or service collude to make it happen.

Corporations, companies, business, whatever not only have to be competitive with the product or service they sell but they also have to be competitive with the wages/salaries they offer to their employees in order to get good people to work for them (or any people are all).

The problem isn't welfare, its the definition of needy. It's the equality that exists between the old, sick, feeble, and the strapping young who can afford facial piercings and full body tattoos. Not wanting to work is the same as not being able to work.

In the most primitive cultures there was an understanding that the old were cared for, women with infants were fed and sheltered. The sick were tended. But, the young warrior who just never felt like hunting was driven out of the village to survive or die on his own. The woman who refused to weave or cook was beaten by the other women.

Our culture today doesn't have the sense available to the common wolf pack.

I've said this before but everyone ignores it and asks again and again and again. Minimum Wage at 40 hours per week should provide enough income for one person to provide an apartment with utilities, food, transportation and medical care with a little extra to pay for clothes and other necessities for himself. I do not think that is unreasonable. My brother, working a mw job back in 1969 was able to get his own apartment (granted he slept on the floor and had lawn furniture in his living room) he was able to buy a new car on payments and take college courses in the evenings. Today on mw, you can't even put a roof over your head. How can anyone get ahead if they can't even survive?

They are not entry level jobs. They are, by and large, dead end jobs. What do you think an acceptable "living wage" is? Any idea for a number, or is this just some great moonbeam idea floating around in your head that has no real world application?

Minimum wage raises occur not to help people have more, just to maintain a standard of living.

I don't think that's the case. I think it's one of those issues of "fairness." I think the minimum wage law is perceived (by some) to be the government protecting the little guy from the corporation who would like nothing more than to basically enslave their workers with a $1 per hour wage. As i alluded to earlier, that's only really possible if all the companies that sell a product or service collude to make it happen.

Corporations, companies, business, whatever not only have to be competitive with the product or service they sell but they also have to be competitive with the wages/salaries they offer to their employees in order to get good people to work for them (or any people are all).

Of course they colluded to make it happen. What, you think our government decided on it's own to increase our legal immigration to more than all the other nations combined? To ignore the illegals who break our laws to get here? You don't think it was planned that Tyson bus in illegals, and when caught, pay a small fine that's actually less than they'd pay if they hired American workers?

Remember, Americans reduced their birthrate to less than replacement value. If our government actually protected our borders, the lower wages would be MUCH higher due to demand.

They are not entry level jobs. They are, by and large, dead end jobs. What do you think an acceptable "living wage" is? Any idea for a number, or is this just some great moonbeam idea floating around in your head that has no real world application?

There's that question again, which has been answered time and time again. Someone else can do that math to find a figure but it should be enough for ONE person to provide for their own shelter, utilities, transportation to and from work, medical care, food and clothing.

Have you looked at the subculture in this country? Entitlements like welfare suck.

There's that question again, which has been answered time and time again. Someone else can do that math to find a figure but it should be enough for ONE person to provide for their own shelter, utilities, transportation to and from work, medical care, food and clothing.

Well, there's the rub...basic shelter, clothing, and food is not what most people want. They want their McMansions, designers labels, and filet mignon. Can't get that on minimum wage, but you can obtain basic necessities.

Why are those who sometimes rant about STATISTS asking how the society benefits? Individuals do, and of course the US economy does also.

Well, there's the rub...basic shelter, clothing, and food is not what most people want. They want their McMansions, designers labels, and filet mignon. Can't get that on minimum wage, but you can obtain basic necessities.

There is no rub there. MW is basic the lowest, it doesn't promise a skyscraper apartment with a view or steak every night. It should promise a roof over your head and a good balanced diet as well as money to pay for all those other things I mentioned.

Similar to the thread regarding same-sex marriage and debating why or why it shouldn't allowed with regard to society as a whole. Just apply it now to welfare.

So, how does welfare benefit society as a whole? How does it not?

Coach explains it to Glenn Beck:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTwpBLzxe4U]Craig T. Nelson on Government Aid - YouTube[/ame]

Forum List

Back