How does one start "Writing"??

The things you should keep in mind while posting in this forum are that you should not copy paste items from other sites and secondly you should not post that items which is already present here..
138l1103.jpg

Last edited:
Hi, by the join date you may see that I am a newbie. A quick question for the regulars here, How does One start writing?

At times I do come up with some strange ideas that I like to put o paper and flush out but--well--I have not the slightest idea on how to start. What things I need to keep in mind.

Any pointers?

I don't know if you're asking about writing something creative or posting a thought in this forum or both. What I have found to be helpful in writing is to start with one good thing. It could be a thought or a idea or belief, but, and this is the key, since you are writing, it must work as a written thought.

Where do you get this good thing? Carry a notepad. You WILL have thoughts that surprise you with their clean symetry and clarity. Write these down as quickly as possible for they are fleeting and will disappear like the rainbow from a prism in shifting light. Once gone, they're gone.

You will surprise yourself with your capacity to create. The "one good thing" will become your spingboard. Writing is less an inspiration than it is a work or a craft. Practice is what makes it happen and starting is as simple as not waiting.

People have been writing for thousands of years. How hard could it be?

Keep it simple - don't use 20 words when 2 will do...

Responding to posts is a good way to start, just remember to keep to the current conversation.

When you start a thread, don't try to put ALL of your passions into one post - one bite at a time, Grasshopper.

Use your fucking spell check regularly and expletives in moderation. Grammar, punctuation and stupid checks will also be appreciated by many.

Take risks and learn from your boo-boos.

-Joe

This is an old thead, but my advice based on my experience is write posts that involve actual thought, research, reason, and intellegence.

If you get 4 or 5 people hounding you with posts about what a fucking moron you are, that's a good sign you have accomplished that goal.

: )

You wnt to learn to write as in short stories novels etc? The first step is to start reading. That's not my idea either, that comes from Dean Koontz. And write, jot down ideas and then think about how it would work out and how best to say it. If you know nothing about grammar learn something quickly. If your grammar isn't at least decent you'll never get an editor or much of anyone else in the publishing biz to read it. And obviously if they don't read it it won't get published. This place isn't the best place to practice because most of us here give grammar and spelling a pass unless you really piss us off.

You've got to hook them within the first two paragraphs if you are a newby. Publishing is a business if you don't have name rec, you aren't going to get a lot of lee way generally.

New Topics

Forum List

Back