How Does God Help a Broken Heart?

I thought maybe people had stories of how they got over something rough.
When my ex left, I locked myself in the apartment, and slumped into a motionless state on my recliner where I stared at a blank wall for an unknown period of time. At some point I realized that they cut the power, because I snapped out of it long enough to notice that it was really fucking cold. I grabbed a blanket and sat in the recliner again, but getting up and moving around kinda killed the moment.

At first, I was functioning on some subconscious level, where I was there, but I wasn't. After that, the autopilot thing just stuck. Whenever some tragic shit happens now, I don't feel any emotional response at all, towards anything. I just fulfill my daily objectives like a robot, until the numbness goes away, then I have to release all that pent up energy. I usually smash things, burn through a couple mags at the range, or I go for a very long run.

When my ex left, I locked myself in the apartment, and slumped into a motionless state on my recliner where I stared at a blank wall for an unknown period of time. At some point I realized that they cut the power, because I snapped out of it long enough to notice that it was really fucking cold. I grabbed a blanket and sat in the recliner again, but getting up and moving around kinda killed the moment.

At first, I was functioning on some subconscious level, where I was there, but I wasn't. After that, the autopilot thing just stuck. Whenever some tragic shit happens now, I don't feel any emotional response at all, towards anything. I just fulfill my daily objectives like a robot, until the numbness goes away, then I have to release all that pent up energy. I usually smash things, burn through a couple mags at the range, or I go for a very long run.
Are you serious? You mean ex-GF or ex-wife?

[SIZE=+1] "Blessed are the poor in spirit,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Blessed are they who mourn,
for they shall be comforted.

Blessed are the meek,
for they shall inherit the earth.

Blessed are they who hunger and thirst for righteousness,
for they shall be satisfied.

Blessed are the merciful,
for they shall obtain mercy.

Blessed are the pure of heart,
for they shall see God.

Blessed are the peacemakers,
for they shall be called children of God.

Blessed are they who are persecuted for the sake of righteousness,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven." [/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1] Gospel of St. Matthew 5:3-10 [/SIZE]

I was drinking a bottle of Vodka a day back than, and had several incidents and fights, I was starting to spiral out of control and I am lucky I didn't end up in prison.

No doubt.

I still remember my sister mixing, in a 4-cup measuring cup, one cup of coke and three cups of rum.

I was drinking Vodka straight at 1 point, no mixer or chaser, when you get to that point its really easy for things to unravel and go to shit.

i remember when i ordered a double voka ...we were out to eat...my husband leaned over and whispers....'dont order that it makes you look like a heavy drinker' well fucking welcome to the reality ranch.....so now i order....vodka martini, extra dry, straight up.....and what do i get....a double vodka .....but appearances are kept up

No doubt.

I still remember my sister mixing, in a 4-cup measuring cup, one cup of coke and three cups of rum.

I was drinking Vodka straight at 1 point, no mixer or chaser, when you get to that point its really easy for things to unravel and go to shit.

i remember when i ordered a double voka ...we were out to eat...my husband leaned over and whispers....'dont order that it makes you look like a heavy drinker' well fucking welcome to the reality ranch.....so now i order....vodka martini, extra dry, straight up.....and what do i get....a double vodka .....but appearances are kept up

Its been years since I ordered a double anything, I used to drink double hennessy and cokes when I used to get fucked up every day.

I remember that. I wouldn't eat - couldn't. no desire. I think on the 4th day, I had half a peanut butter sandwich, and my cyber friends cheered me for the effort.

I also remember after being dropped at my sister's, the day I found out his woman was already up for a visit. I think that was it. I don't clearly remember the conversation. All I remember is walking backwards, in circles, crying. Edited to add that the call was with my sister. I never did give on that front. He's never known how badly he hurt me.

I suppose I remember because I'd never done it before.

True heartbreak, the real kind ... that takes time. Time is all that helps. And posts to the contrary, it really does help. I still misted up writing this, but I'm not catatonic in a fetal position, and the only thing moving is tears from my eyes. We heal, we move on.

Last edited:

Would it matter? Any time you're in it heart and soul, heart and soul are going to be shredded when it ends. The level of hurt is pretty much directly proportionate to the level of commitment.

Just wondering. Something awful happened last night and I still feel it's affects.

Sorry about the bad thing...truly I am.

Folks who pray garner some satisfaction in their minds but as far as it changing anything...forget it.

I've been here 77 years and I've never seen anything which could not be totally explained by the physical laws of nature and circumstance. Coincidence is rare...that's why they call it coincidence. If I ever do see anything which cannot be explained by the physical laws of nature and circumstance I will really have to modify everything I believe.

Last edited:
I'll tell you what helped me yesterday. All of you, a friend I know who works on the same crisis line I work on, my wife, my counselor,doing two and a half hours of Focusing, and working with kids for 5 hours.

It totallly put my mind on other things, like service to others.

I've enjoyed everyone's contrubution on this thread. Honestly, its heart opening.

Have a great day everyone.

Last edited:

Wife.

Last edited:

Would it matter? Any time you're in it heart and soul, heart and soul are going to be shredded when it ends. The level of hurt is pretty much directly proportionate to the level of commitment.

I'm 77 years old. I played piano and keyboards with a dozen small bands or combos over a period of 30 years. One day my first wife announced to me that she was leaving. I went into depression and consequently...the hospital. They never found anything worng with me physically but I got hooked on valium and lost about five years of my life. I had three children, the oldest was about fifteen when she announced her intentions. That's what wrecked me...not the fact that I was losing her.

Guess what? After being single for eight years I found someone and remarried. Two of my three kids have masters degrees and the other is a project manager for the DOE. I retired when I was 60 years old and my wife and I have just about anything we want.

Try not to take that shit so seriously. Go Back To Living.

I'm 77 years old. I played piano and keyboards with a dozen small bands or combos over a period of 30 years. One day my first wife announced to me that she was leaving. I went into depression and consequently...the hospital. They never found anything worng with me physically but I got hooked on valium and lost about five years of my life. I had three children, the oldest was about fifteen when she announced her intentions. That's what wrecked me...not the fact that I was losing her.

Guess what? After being single for eight years I found someone and remarried. Two of my three kids have masters degrees and the other is a project manager for the DOE. I retired when I was 60 years old and my wife and I have just about anything we want.

Really? LOL! Okay. So you lost five years of your life, and you're telling us not to take that shit so seriously?

Really? LOL! Okay. So you lost five years of your life, and you're telling us not to take that shit so seriously?

That was from 1973 to 1978. I assure you had I known anything about the future and what it held for me and my children I wouldn't have lost a minute. I have eight grandchildren and one great grandchild. Now I wouldn't have it any other way. The only mistake I made was feeling like I had failed my children while all of us still had our lives in front of us.

Last edited:

That was from 1973 to 1978. I assure you had I known anything about the future and what it held for me and my children I wouldn't have lost a minute. I have eight grandchildren and one great grandchild. Now I wouldn't have it any other way. The only mistake I made was feeling like I had failed my children while all of us still had our lives in front of us.

That's not a mistake. That's just life.

It's actually impossible to suffer a great loss and not grieve or mourn. Are you telling me you've learned so much that if your wife dropped over dead tomorrow, you wouldn't mourn? You'd just go find another one just like her?

It's actually impossible to suffer a great loss and not grieve or mourn. Are you telling me you've learned so much that if your wife dropped over dead tomorrow, you wouldn't mourn? You'd just go find another one just like her?

WRONG!!! I'm 77 years old and believe me I've already faced up to the facts. Three of my dad's brothers and both my granddads were already dead before they were my age.

I have had a good and productive life and I have no regrets.

Last edited:

WRONG!!! I'm 77 years old and believe me I've already faced up to the facts. Three of my dad's brothers and both my granddads were already dead before they were my age.

I have had a good and productive life and I have no regrets.

You would not mourn. Is that what you're saying.

New Topics

Forum List

Back