How Does A Political Party Justify Thumping Their Bibles While Starving The Poor?

Actually, there are quite a few verses in the Bible regrading helping the poor. Here are just a few.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

If there is a poor man among your brothers in any of the towns of the land that the LORD your God is giving you, do not be hardhearted or tightfisted toward your poor brother." Deuteronomy 15:7

There will always be poor people in the land. Therefore I command you to be openhanded toward your brothers and toward the poor and needy in your land." Deuteronomy 15:11

For he will deliver the needy who cry out, the afflicted who have no one to help. He will take pity on the weak and the needy and save the needy from death." Psalm 72:12-13

"Defend the cause of the weak and fatherless; maintain the rights of the poor and oppressed. Rescue the weak and needy; deliver them from the hand of the wicked." Psalm 82:3-4

"He has scattered abroad his gifts to the poor, his righteousness endures forever; his horn will be lifted high in honor." Psalm 112:9

"Better to be lowly in spirit and among the oppressed than to share plunder with the proud." Proverbs 16:19

"He who mocks the poor shows contempt for their Maker; whoever gloats over disaster will not go unpunished." Proverbs 17:5

"Learn to do right! Seek justice, encourage the oppressed. Defend the cause of the fatherless, plead the case of the widow." Isaiah 1:17

"The scoundrel's methods are wicked, he makes up evil schemes to destroy the poor with lies, even when the plea of the needy is just." Isaiah 32:7

"(They) have grown fat and sleek. Their evil deeds have no limit; they do not plead the case of the fatherless to win it, they do not defend the rights of the poor." Jeremiah 5:28

"Do not oppress the widow or the fatherless, the alien or the poor. In your hearts do not think evil of each other." Zechariah 7:10

"Jesus answered, If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.'" Matthew 19:21

"Sell your possessions and give to the poor. Provide purses for yourselves that will not wear out, a treasure in heaven that will not be exhausted, where no thief comes near and no moth destroys." Luke 12:33

"Suppose a man comes into your meeting wearing a gold ring and fine clothes, and a poor man in shabby clothes also comes in. If you show special attention to the man wearing fine clothes and say, 'Here's a good seat for you,' but say to the poor man, 'You stand there' or 'Sit on the floor by my feet,' have you not discriminated among yourselves and becomes judges with evil thoughts? Listen, my dear brothers: Has not God chosen those who are poor in the eyes of the world to be rich in faith and to inherit the kingdom He promised those who love Him? But you have insulted the poor. Is it not the rich who are exploiting you? Are they not the ones who are dragging you into court?" James 2:2-6

"If anyone has material possessions and sees his brother in need but has no pity on him, how can the love of God be in him? Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth." 1 John 3:17-18

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

There are many more verses in the Bible that instruct believers to take care of the poor. I guess I thought every person who believed in God and took their religion seriously knew this.
Instead, I see some here on these boards get all riled up about the poor being leeches, lazy;etc and then in another thread get all worked up about how the other side is trying to destroy Christianity.

Actually, there are quite a few verses in the Bible regrading helping the poor. Here are just a few.

If there is a poor man among your brothers in any of the towns of the land that the LORD your God is giving you, do not be hardhearted or tightfisted toward your poor brother." Deuteronomy 15:7

There will always be poor people in the land. Therefore I command you to be openhanded toward your brothers and toward the poor and needy in your land." Deuteronomy 15:11

For he will deliver the needy who cry out, the afflicted who have no one to help. He will take pity on the weak and the needy and save the needy from death." Psalm 72:12-13

"Defend the cause of the weak and fatherless; maintain the rights of the poor and oppressed. Rescue the weak and needy; deliver them from the hand of the wicked." Psalm 82:3-4

"He has scattered abroad his gifts to the poor, his righteousness endures forever; his horn will be lifted high in honor." Psalm 112:9

"Better to be lowly in spirit and among the oppressed than to share plunder with the proud." Proverbs 16:19

"He who mocks the poor shows contempt for their Maker; whoever gloats over disaster will not go unpunished." Proverbs 17:5

"Learn to do right! Seek justice, encourage the oppressed. Defend the cause of the fatherless, plead the case of the widow." Isaiah 1:17

"The scoundrel's methods are wicked, he makes up evil schemes to destroy the poor with lies, even when the plea of the needy is just." Isaiah 32:7

"(They) have grown fat and sleek. Their evil deeds have no limit; they do not plead the case of the fatherless to win it, they do not defend the rights of the poor." Jeremiah 5:28

"Do not oppress the widow or the fatherless, the alien or the poor. In your hearts do not think evil of each other." Zechariah 7:10

"Jesus answered, If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.'" Matthew 19:21

"Sell your possessions and give to the poor. Provide purses for yourselves that will not wear out, a treasure in heaven that will not be exhausted, where no thief comes near and no moth destroys." Luke 12:33

"Suppose a man comes into your meeting wearing a gold ring and fine clothes, and a poor man in shabby clothes also comes in. If you show special attention to the man wearing fine clothes and say, 'Here's a good seat for you,' but say to the poor man, 'You stand there' or 'Sit on the floor by my feet,' have you not discriminated among yourselves and becomes judges with evil thoughts? Listen, my dear brothers: Has not God chosen those who are poor in the eyes of the world to be rich in faith and to inherit the kingdom He promised those who love Him? But you have insulted the poor. Is it not the rich who are exploiting you? Are they not the ones who are dragging you into court?" James 2:2-6

"If anyone has material possessions and sees his brother in need but has no pity on him, how can the love of God be in him? Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth." 1 John 3:17-18

There are many more verses in the Bible that instruct believers to take care of the poor. I guess I thought every person who believed in God and took their religion seriously knew this.
Instead, I see some here on these boards get all riled up about the poor being leeches, lazy;etc and then in another thread get all worked up about how the other side is trying to destroy Christianity.

Yes, we conservative Christians are well aware of those verses. It is why we are notoriously generous with our own PERSONAL giving and charity to those less fortunate. We resist the government taking from anyone to give to anyone else in the mistaken notion that they know best how to spend other people's money. They don't.....and it isn't their job.

Where are the verses that tell us to dispise the rich?

That was his claim and what he's been challenged on.

Of which he has yet to produce.

It's in their Good Book.... Das Kapital.

There aren't any verses that say anything about despising the rich, but if the rich don't help the poor or those better off than the poor mock the poor (as seen way too frequently on these boards and in this thread), then God states that what he thinks of those people and it's not good.

Last edited:

Where are the verses that tell us to employ Caesar's agents and troops to loot out neighbors to feed the poor?

There aren't any verses that say anything about despising the rich, but if the rich don't help the poor or those better off than the poor mock the poor (as seen way too frequently on these boards and in this thread), then God states that what he thinks of those people and it's not good.

The Bible doesn't say that either.

It doesn't say the rich must help the poor or else.

The whole point Jesus was making especially with his statement, "it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven..etc.." is to warn those that possessed wealth not to be possessed by their wealth. And that a rich man could not be saved by human effort, only by divine intervention.

Fact is God wants us all to be prosperous. And as Jesus has stated the poor will always be among us.

"I wish above all things that thou mayest PROSPER and be in health," says God thru John.

"Blessed is the man that walketh not in the council of the ungodly, . . . but his delight is in the LAW OF THE ETERNAL; . . . whatsoever be does shall PROSPER." (Psalm 1:1-3).

"And the Eternal was with Joseph, and he was a prosperous man; ... the Eternal made all that he did to prosper in his hand." (Gen. 39:2, 3). Joseph SERVED GOD! (verse 4).

"For the Eternal God is a sun and shield: the Eternal will give grace and glory; no good thing will He withhold from them that walketh uprightly. O Lord of Hosts, blessed is the man that trusteth in thee." (Ps. 84:11, 12).

"The righteous shall FLOURISH like the palm tree: he shall grow like a cedar in Lebanon." (Ps. 92:12).

edit:

God's good friend Abraham was very rich . Job, Isaac, Jacob/Israel, Joseph, David, Solomon — all loaded.

So to say God didn't think well of rich people is a flat out lie.

Last edited:
Jesus' main message in the new testament was to despise the rich and care for the poor. Talk about confused!!

If the rich are to be despised, then Obama, Pelosi, Reid, Boxer and Barney Frank are on God's shit list. Anyone who thinks that wealth is confined to Republicans is either dim, delusional or duped. There are many rich people who have willingly shared the wealth they have earned, and anyone who despises those who have bettered the lives of those in need is somewhat of a fool. The truth is that there are just as many selfish poor and middle class people as there are selfish rich people. I suggest that we treat people as individuals rather than attempting to than judge them by how some in their particular class (the wealthy) behave.

While the Bible does warn that wealth may a detract from spiritual pursuits, there is nothing in the Bible that says that wealthy people should be despised. In fact, many of the Biblical patriarchs were extremely wealthy including Solomon., the richest king of all. I posted an article some time ago, and I think this is a proper time to resubmit it:

“Charity” is general defined as: generosity towards the needy. The problem lies in defining “the needy.” For example, here is no doubt that a person needs shelter, a safe and secure place to live. However government programs that encourages home ownership by requiring banks to make bad mortgage loans has nothing to do with actual need. Home ownership is not a need, since a rental provides the same shelter. Likewise, a house with nonessential amenities is not a need. If a man lives in a $75,000 house which provides adequate security, his desire to own a $200,000 home which is more attractive does not rise to the level of a “need” in my book.

As for welfare, there are far too many people getting far too much “help” they don't really need. I recall when a reporter was interviewing a young female welfare recipient. The woman said she was on welfare because she couldn't find a job. The reporter then asked why she didn't get a job in McDonald's since they were hiring. The woman was offended and asked the reporter, “Why would I work for minimum wage?” The reporter should have told her “because if you were making minimum wage instead of sitting on your ass, you wouldn't need as much assistance from others as you're getting now.”

There is a moral obligation to give help to those who truly need it; however, there is no obligation to give to those who could provide for themselves but are unwilling to put forth the effort. Christians are a very charitable lot; however, they are not fools. There is nothing in the Bible which requires Christians to provide for those who are simply too lazy to provide for themselves. In fact, the Bible condemns those who refuse to work for their keep:

“But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel” (1 Timothy 5:8, KJV).

“Now we command you, brethren, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye withdraw yourselves from every brother that walketh disorderly, and not after the tradition which he received of us. For yourselves know how ye ought to follow us: for we behaved not ourselves disorderly among you; Neither did we eat any man's bread for nought; but wrought with labour and travail night and day, that we might not be chargeable to any of you: Not because we have not power, but to make ourselves an ensample unto you to follow us. For even when we were with you, this we commanded you, that if any would not work, neither should he eat” (2 Thessalonians 3:6-10, KJV, highlight my own).

Have you read the New Testament?

ETA: Link? I'll be waiting.

No less than ten times. I was offered a chance to be ordained Baptist minister when I was 25 years old. I also read the book of Mormon and numerous books about all the ancient god worship. It's all horse shit..it's all fairy tales, Put me in this man's court:

"I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the objects of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own--a God, in short, who is but a reflection of human fraility. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotism. It is enough for me to contemplate the mystery of conscious life perpetuating itself through all eternity, to reflect upon the marvelous structure of the universe which we can dimly perceive, and to try humbly to comprehend even an infinitesimal part of the intelligence manifested in nature" ~Dr. Albert Einstein~

Having grown up in the Baptist church, graduating from a Baptist university with a degree in religion, attending a Baptist seminary and being an ordained Deacon, I find your claim of being offered to be ordained no less than 10 times in one year to be dishonest given your beliefs. But then dishonesty seems to be the pattern of your posting style. I negged you accordingly.

You should brush up on your reading skills. I replied to a question about reading the new testament and said I had read it no less than ten times....PERIOD. Then I started a new sentence which told about my being offered a chance to become an ordained Baptist minister. It happened. I turned it down because even though I could quote most of the new testament chapter and verse I never believed it. I think anyone who does believe it is either very naive or very brainwashed.

Holy cow. What a load of tripe courtesy of OL'Campass.

I thought that asshole was leaving never to return??

You keep on thinking in one hand and shitting in the other and see which one gets full first.

Jesus' main message in the new testament was to despise the rich and care for the poor. Talk about confused!!

How do you justify lying?

Jesus' main message was the good news Kingdom of God is at hand, which is why it is called the Gospel of Jesus.

The whole point Jesus was making especially with his statement, "it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven..etc.." is to warn those that possessed wealth not to be possessed by their wealth. And that a rich man could not be saved by human effort, only by divine intervention.

Fact is God wants us all to be prosperous. And as Jesus has stated the poor will always be among us.

"I wish above all things that thou mayest PROSPER and be in health," says God thru John.

"Blessed is the man that walketh not in the council of the ungodly, . . . but his delight is in the LAW OF THE ETERNAL; . . . whatsoever be does shall PROSPER." (Psalm 1:1-3).

"And the Eternal was with Joseph, and he was a prosperous man; ... the Eternal made all that he did to prosper in his hand." (Gen. 39:2, 3). Joseph SERVED GOD! (verse 4).

"For the Eternal God is a sun and shield: the Eternal will give grace and glory; no good thing will He withhold from them that walketh uprightly. O Lord of Hosts, blessed is the man that trusteth in thee." (Ps. 84:11, 12).

"The righteous shall FLOURISH like the palm tree: he shall grow like a cedar in Lebanon." (Ps. 92:12).

edit:

God's good friend Abraham was very rich . Job, Isaac, Jacob/Israel, Joseph, David, Solomon — all loaded.

Oh?

"If a man shuts his ears to the cry of the poor, he too will cry out and not be answered."
-Proverbs 21:13

"He who gives to the poor will lack nothing, but he who closes his eyes to them receives many curses."
-Proverbs 28:27

How do you justify lying?

Jesus' main message was the good news Kingdom of God is at hand, which is why it is called the Gospel of Jesus.

What happened to Turn The Other Cheek, Walk The Extra Mile, Do Unto Others As You Would Have Them Do Unto You, Love Thy Neighbor, Love Thine Enemies, Pray For Those Who Curse And Despise You, If Sued In Court For Coat Voluntarily Give Cloak, Sell What You Have And Give It To The Poor etc.? Don't forget Be Ye Therefore Perfect Even As The Father In Heaven Is Perfect.

Last edited:

edit:

Oh?

"If a man shuts his ears to the cry of the poor, he too will cry out and not be answered."

"He who gives to the poor will lack nothing, but he who closes his eyes to them receives many curses."

LMAO!!! Old Testament Bullshit!

The only thing they couldn't put one to death for was farting at the table.

There are forty-two death-penalty sins in the Old Testament.

Murder - Gen. 9:6; Ex. 21:12-14,20,23; Lev. 24:17,21; Num. 35:16-34; Deut. 19.
Failing to circumcise - Gen. 17:14; Ex. 4:24,25.
Eating leavened bread during feast of unleavened bread - Ex.
2:15,19.
Smiting Parents- Ex. 21:15.
Kidnapping - Ex. 21:16; Deut. 24:7.
Cursing Parents - Ex. 21:17; Lev. 20:9.
Negligence with animals that kill - Ex. 21:28-32.
Witchcraft - Ex. 22:18.
Bestiality - Ex. 22:19; Lev. 18:23-29; 20:15,16.
Idolatry - Ex. 22:20.
Making holy anointing oil - Ex. 30:33.
Putting holy anointing oil on strangers - Ex. 30:33.
Making the holy perfume - Ex. 30:38.
Defiling the Sabbath - Ex. 31:14.
Working on the Sabbath - Ex. 35:2.
Eating the flesh of the peace offerings in
uncleanness - Lev. 7:20,21.
Eating the fat of sacrifices - Lev. 7:25.
Killing sacrifices other than at the door of the tabernacle - Lev. 17:1-9.
Eating blood - Lev. 17:10-14.
Incest - Lev. 18:6-29; 20:11-22.
Eating sacrifices at the wrong time - Lev. 19:5-8.
Consecration of children to idols - Lev. 20:1-5.
Spiritualism - Lev. 20:6,27.
Adultery - Lev. 20:10; Deut. 22:22-30.
Sodomy/Homosexuality - Lev. 20:13.
Relationship with a menstruous woman - Lev. 20:18.
Whoredom - Lev. 21:9; Deut. 22:21,22.
Sacrilege - Lev. 22:3.
Refusing to fast on day of atonement - Lev. 23:29.
Working on atonement - Lev. 23:30.
Blasphemy - Lev. 24:11-16.
Failure to keep the Passover - Num. 9:13.
Presumptuous - Num. 15:30,31.
Gathering firewood on the Sabbath - Num. 15:32,36.
Failure to purify self before worship - Num. 19:13,20.
False prophecy - Deut. 13:1-18; 18:20.
Leading men away from God - Deut. 13:6-18.
Stubbornness and rebelliousness - Deut. 21:18-23.
Gluttony - Deut. 21:20-23.
Drunkenness - Deut. 21:20-23.
Backbiting - Deut. 17:2-7.
False dreams and visions - Deut. 13:1-18.

Gotta quote from Jesus where He says we should 'despise the rich'.

You are so stupid, it staggers the imagination that you have managed to live day to day. I assume it's some 'care in the community' thing... funded, no doubt, by a church.

edit:

Oh?

Where exactly is he saying anything about a "rich" man.

Anyone of any station in life is capable of mocking the poor of gloating over disasters.

Isaac:
Then Isaac sowed in that land, and received in the same year an hundredfold: and the LORD blessed him. And the man waxed great, and went forward, and grew until he became very great: For he had possession of flocks, and possession of herds, and great store of servants: and the Philistines envied him. – Genesis 26:12-14

Jehoshaphat:
Therefore the LORD established the kingdom in his hand; and all Judah brought to Jehoshaphat presents; and he had riches and honour in abundance. – 2 Chronicles 17:5

Joseph of Arimathaea, a disciple of Jesus:
When the even was come, there came a rich man of Arimathaea, named Joseph, who also himself was Jesus' disciple: He went to Pilate, and begged the body of Jesus. Then Pilate commanded the body to be delivered. - Matthew 27:57

Hezekiah:
Notwithstanding Hezekiah humbled himself for the pride of his heart, both he and the inhabitants of Jerusalem, so that the wrath of the LORD came not upon them in the days of Hezekiah. And Hezekiah had exceeding much riches and honour: and he made himself treasuries for silver, and for gold, and for precious stones, and for spices, and for shields, and for all manner of pleasant jewels; Storehouses also for the increase of corn, and wine, and oil; and stalls for all manner of beasts, and cotes for flocks. - 2 Chronicles 32:26-28

Jacob:
And Esau took his wives, and his sons, and his daughters, and all the persons of his house, and his cattle, and all his beasts, and all his substance, which he had got in the land of Canaan; and went into the country from the face of his brother Jacob. For their riches were more than that they might dwell together; and the land wherein they were strangers could not bear them because of their cattle. – Genesis 36:6-7

Abraham:
And the LORD hath blessed my master greatly; and he is become great: and he hath given him flocks, and herds, and silver, and gold, and menservants, and maidservants, and camels, and asses. – Genesis 24:35

edit:

Oh?

LMAO!!! Old Testament Bullshit!

The only thing they couldn't put one to death for was farting at the table.

There are forty-two death-penalty sins in the Old Testament.

Murder - Gen. 9:6; Ex. 21:12-14,20,23; Lev. 24:17,21; Num. 35:16-34; Deut. 19.
Failing to circumcise - Gen. 17:14; Ex. 4:24,25.
Eating leavened bread during feast of unleavened bread - Ex.
2:15,19.
Smiting Parents- Ex. 21:15.
Kidnapping - Ex. 21:16; Deut. 24:7.
Cursing Parents - Ex. 21:17; Lev. 20:9.
Negligence with animals that kill - Ex. 21:28-32.
Witchcraft - Ex. 22:18.
Bestiality - Ex. 22:19; Lev. 18:23-29; 20:15,16.
Idolatry - Ex. 22:20.
Making holy anointing oil - Ex. 30:33.
Putting holy anointing oil on strangers - Ex. 30:33.
Making the holy perfume - Ex. 30:38.
Defiling the Sabbath - Ex. 31:14.
Working on the Sabbath - Ex. 35:2.
Eating the flesh of the peace offerings in
uncleanness - Lev. 7:20,21.
Eating the fat of sacrifices - Lev. 7:25.
Killing sacrifices other than at the door of the tabernacle - Lev. 17:1-9.
Eating blood - Lev. 17:10-14.
Incest - Lev. 18:6-29; 20:11-22.
Eating sacrifices at the wrong time - Lev. 19:5-8.
Consecration of children to idols - Lev. 20:1-5.
Spiritualism - Lev. 20:6,27.
Adultery - Lev. 20:10; Deut. 22:22-30.
Sodomy/Homosexuality - Lev. 20:13.
Relationship with a menstruous woman - Lev. 20:18.
Whoredom - Lev. 21:9; Deut. 22:21,22.
Sacrilege - Lev. 22:3.
Refusing to fast on day of atonement - Lev. 23:29.
Working on atonement - Lev. 23:30.
Blasphemy - Lev. 24:11-16.
Failure to keep the Passover - Num. 9:13.
Presumptuous - Num. 15:30,31.
Gathering firewood on the Sabbath - Num. 15:32,36.
Failure to purify self before worship - Num. 19:13,20.
False prophecy - Deut. 13:1-18; 18:20.
Leading men away from God - Deut. 13:6-18.
Stubbornness and rebelliousness - Deut. 21:18-23.
Gluttony - Deut. 21:20-23.
Drunkenness - Deut. 21:20-23.
Backbiting - Deut. 17:2-7.
False dreams and visions - Deut. 13:1-18.

One of the profound emphases of the New Testament, especially the epistles of Paul, is that Christians are no longer under the rule of the Mosaic law. This truth is stated in no uncertain terms and in various ways (see Rom. 6:14; 7:1-14; Gal. 3:10-13, 24-25; 4:21; 5:1, 13; 2 Cor. 3:7-18), but in spite of this, there have always been those who insist that the Mosaic Law, at least the Ten Commandments, are still in force for the Christian.

New Topics

Forum List

Back