How does a player completely blow out his knee crossing home plate?

MarathonMike

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2014
The Southwestern Desert
Diamondbacks outfielder Steven Souza tore every ligament in his left knee crossing home plate, no contact with the catcher at all. I don't have the video but he kind of skidded across the plate and then collapsed. How does that happen? Was his knee on the verge of blowing up or is it really possible to tear multiple ligaments with such a minor movement like skidding across the plate. I'd be interested to hear from anyone knowledgeable because this was just awful to see. It could be a career ender for the guy.

It looks like he turned his whole upper body as soon as he touched the plate. If you pause it at the right time around :02, you can see the way he twisted it all up. His body momentum was faster than the touch of the plate with his foot, too. It was a pretty big last stride to the plate there also.

That last step to the plate is where the kink in the chain happened, I think. Then domino effect.

Looked like it hurt, for sure. Gosh.

Last edited:
I always wondered about the spikes the players wear. Probably great for the field and on the dirt; probably not so much for stepping on a plastic surface though.

Was he wearing spikes?

He was too busy looking back at the ball to pay attention to the plate and running all the way through it.

That happened to me a few weeks ago, skiing. I can't tell you how disturbing it is to see your knee bend sideways. Still gives me chills thinking about it.

That happened to me a few weeks ago, skiing. I can't tell you how disturbing it is to see your knee bend sideways. Still gives me chills thinking about it.

Dang. I feel for you. I'm cringing just thinking about it.

It looks like he turned his whole upper body as soon as he touched the plate. If you pause it at the right time around :02, you can see the way he twisted it all up. His body momentum was faster than the touch of the plate with his foot, too. It was a pretty big last stride to the plate there also.

That last step to the plate is where the kink in the chain happened, I think. Then domino effect.

I get that you can twist your knee, but I didn't think you could rupture every tendon. I have to believe his knee was already unstable from a previous injury or something like that. Pretty awful.

I get that you can twist your knee, but I didn't think you could rupture every tendon. I have to believe his knee was already unstable from a previous injury or something like that. Pretty awful.
These players are expensive today. Improvements of the bases and home plate are needed with the uses of modern spikes.

Yeah that is called tripping, not completely destroying your knee. That's the question, how does that happen?

I spoke to my doctor about it, after it happened to me. Apparently, when the ligaments in the knee are stressed to a certain point, the muscles near them will instinctively relax, to avoid tearing. That produces that "rubber band joint" effect, which makes it look even worse than it is - though the end result can still be very bad.

Diamondbacks outfielder Steven Souza tore every ligament in his left knee crossing home plate, no contact with the catcher at all. I don't have the video but he kind of skidded across the plate and then collapsed. How does that happen? Was his knee on the verge of blowing up or is it really possible to tear multiple ligaments with such a minor movement like skidding across the plate. I'd be interested to hear from anyone knowledgeable because this was just awful to see. It could be a career ender for the guy.

well.....

5 years ago I was playing 1,2,3, red light with my 6 year old grandson and 2 of his friends....

late morning....
sunny day....
grass still a little wet with dew.....

as I made my little dash (during the 1,2,3 count)
I slipped on some grass and my ankle turned 180 degrees around!

shattered EVERYTHING in there!

had to have a complete replacement and was out of commission for 3 months...and another 3 months getting back to normal.

Now do you want to hear how I couldn't walk for another 3 months (last year) after I fucked up a tendon by just walking?

He was too busy looking back at the ball to pay attention to the plate and running all the way through it.

Yeah, it looked like he didnt follow through with his momentum and then maybe the cleat caught, or slipped couldnt quite tell which, but maybe an unlucky combination of the two.

Forum List

Back